Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I've met a few at work.

Colin Firth, Eamonn Holmes, Kirsten Dunst and Dara O'brien were all very pleasant and stopped to have a little chat, Rowan Atkinson was the complete opposite and totally blanked me when I was talking to him and has done each time he has passed through my workplace. Just to clarify, I was speaking to him as it is part of my job to do so, not as if I stopped him in the street and said "OMG YOU'RE ROWAN ATKINSON".
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »
    Well, brace yourself for a barrage of stories about how wonderful she is.....

Ah, the 'Diana effect'.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Sylvester McCoy yesterday, albeit very briefly. A really nice guy : )
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hearing quite a lot of that for Rowan Atkinson and some will say it's shyness however when it's so frequent and of a certain age. Is that really an excuse?
  • matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »
    Well, brace yourself for a barrage of stories about how wonderful she is.....

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/aug/02/cilla-black-dies-aged-72

Yes - it has already started on the thread about her death - the (many) stories about how vile she was couldn't possibly be true...:o:o
  • PorterjohPorterjoh Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I gigged with Archie Kelly (Kenny Senior in Phoenix Nights) last week. Wonderful guy, and great comic.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be truthful, I've made many barbed comments about Cilla in this thread but I feel genuinely sad that she has died. Not particularly liking someone in their lifetime is a world away from feeling genuine ill-will towards someone or making nasty comments on the day they die. She has a family and many friends in the business who must be pretty shaken up at the moment. I hope that, in her last few days and moments that she didn't suffer and, to some point, felt content that she had a life completed. She hadn't looked well the list time I saw her on TV (think it might have been when she was doorstopped for a comment about Rolf Harris's prosecution).
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    To be truthful, I've made many barbed comments about Cilla in this thread but I feel genuinely sad that she has died. Not particularly liking someone in their lifetime is a world away from feeling genuine ill-will towards someone or making nasty comments on the day they die. She has a family and many friends in the business who must be pretty shaken up at the moment. I hope that, in her last few days and moments that she didn't suffer and, to some point, felt content that she had a life completed. She hadn't looked well the list time I saw her on TV (think it might have been when she was doorstopped for a comment about Rolf Harris's prosecution

I don't change my opinion of someone just because they're dead.
  • nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many, many years ago, I met Johnnie Depp when he was just starting out. Used to chat to him once a week. It was during his "Jump Street" days. Polite, almost shy, but once he got used to you was really nice.

During the same time frame, Brian Adams used stop for tea in the same shop café as me. Smiled and he'd smile back.

Don't know how they both are now, but in the '80s they both seemed sweet and normal.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judi Dench - lovely, spoke to everyone that was waiting and wouldn't leave until everything had been signed.
    Helen Mirren - ditto, even had a chat with me asking if I'd enjoyed the play and did seem genuinely interested (Oscar winning actress though!).
    Bill Nighy - slightly more restrained, although it was the final night of his play. Still posed for a photo so I can't say more than that, a very kind man!
    Imelda Staunton - slightly more shy, although she will have been exhausted after her performance.
    Carey Mulligan - had a conversation with every person waiting in line and had photos too. She even hugged some of us! Incredibly kind and endearing.
    Michael Ball - exactly as he is on TV/radio, very warm and chatty.
    Michael Crawford - again, quite chatty and posed for photos.
    Penn and Teller - both such gents, waited in the foyer of the theatre for about an hour getting selfies with everyone. Never seen anything like it!

Although I've never met Ms Black myself and I don't want to speak ill of the dead, it just shows that ladies who've been in the business for years like Dench and Mirren can be incredibly affectionate towards fans. Very classy and professional - the opposite of Cilla!
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowan Atkinson IS a pompous buffoon, unfortunately.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister met Peter Andre today, she's not stopped talking about it, and she's over 50!

Ever seen him in real time? He's not very tall at all, and looks like he's been tangoed.
  • Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Mcintosh?

His page is full of hate.
  • golden raygolden ray Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    My brother is a graphic designer and works with Vivienne Westwood.
    He speaks very highly of her.....
    says she cycles to work everyday and is soft spoken.
    Throughout the years they both became friends and invites him and his wife (who has a job in in his office) to go with her to theatres, restaurants etc.
    Viv is very down to earth - I chuckled when he told me that once when she cycled to meet the queen in Buckingham Palace the guards at first didn't recognise her and took awhile for them to allow her in LOL :D

Her majesty and the fashion designer drank beer together in one of her visits for a chat with the monarch. :):):):):):):):)

Yes, the queen LOVES beer!!!

In his place of work he meets lots of celebrities and liked COLIN FIRTH.
    They shared a taxi ride in London with my brother's eccentric boss and Patsy Kensit amongst a few others (I think) to go somewhere -
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto on Vivienne Westwood. Not a snob, like many less talented fashion people, and very sincere about climate change. She could very easily put her feet up and live a life of luxury now, but she is involved - and tells everyone not to buy too many clothes and not to wash them too often or throw them away when they rip, as holes etc. add to the character!

As I'm in here - Adam Ant is wonderful, except when he's ill (he's bipolar) or very stressed.

Gary Kemp is charming and lovely.

Brian Eno - nice but a bit dull for someone who used to wear feathers, make amazing music and apparently shag anything in a skirt.

I've met a lot of people in the business and most are fine, but are a little bit nicer to fellow artists. Those I've mentioned are genuinely nice regardless of rank, they spoke to me when I was doing well and associated with someone famous, and they still talk to me now and are genuinely interested in how I'm doing.

Rik Mayall was another - I can't say the same for his colleagues.

Lily Allen sweet to me, and apparently much nicer than her arsey dad.

I've met, and seen around, a lot of soapstars, they're always the ones trying to show off, with exceptions such as Kellie Bright, who was nice, polite and unshowy on my flight last month. She's one of the more talented actresses on Eastenders.
  • soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gray O'Brien - Tony Gordon of Coronation Street - in a pub in Dumbarton, outside Glasgow. Warm, approachable and with a young family in tow. Nice guy.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found it interesting how people who bumped into Cilla in the street tended to find her friendly enough, whereas people who were working for her in some capacity - whether in TV or as flight attendants, for example - consistently named her as the worst person they ever worked with. Interesting.

On the Rowan Atkinson subject, my dad met him once when they were both guests at a motoring event. They were paired on the same table and my dad tried to strike up conversation. As far as I know, Atkinson chatted back but was very quiet and rather awkward. Dad does say that as Atkinson was leaving, though, he made a point of waving goodbye to my dad as he went. I don't know about him really - he's either extremely pompous and hides it by pretending to be shy, or - as I think is more likely - he's extremely shy and hides it behind pomposity so people are more likely to leave him alone. Still no excuse for him to ignore people who are supposed to be dealing with him though, as mentioned above.
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Ive been told that certain people used to think my late mother came over as "snobby" but she was in fact just very shy.
    People are not always as they seem.
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    billio wrote: »

Gary Kemp is charming and lovely.

Funny that - through talking with my post lady at work this morning about what Cilla was supposed to be like, we began talking about other celebs we love/hate. She specifically referred to Gary Kemp (who she delivers to) as an arrogant t**t.

Proof that you'll never come across a truer phrase than "Speak as you find..."
  • Rich_WilsonRich_Wilson Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I met Alan Carr last week - Just as funny off stage! Lovely lovely man who was chatting away to several of us, taking pictures and answering questions. Extremely funny!

Met Claire Sweeney earlier this year who was an absolute darling. Very down to earth and was chatting for a while before she began her show (Sex in Suburbia).

Jane McDonald is always a sweatheart. She really adores her fans and stops to chat to people. Smashing woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mariets wrote: »

I don't change my opinion of someone just because they're dead.

And you shouldn't.

All I was saying is that my own dislike of her (and believe me I couldn't stand her for the most part) didn't extend to me wishing her ill or being unmoved by her death. It is possible to have ambiguous feelings about someone.

I just feel sad that she wanted to be gone by 75 because I know many 75-ish year olds who may have health impairments and difficulties doing what they used to, but they very much have the life-force in them. Because Cilla liked the glamorous life, maybe she couldn't adjust to increasing impairment as well as other people often do, which is sad. Unless she had an underlying condition that she (perhaps quite bravely) didn't want the public to know about because she couldn't cope with the sympathy she might get.

That's about it, really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Not very nice- Warwick Davis. Used the 'Don't you know who I am?' When he was asked to pay the entrance charge of an attraction I used to work at. Once he realised no one was the least bit bothered about who he was, and that he would have to pay, he left. After some fuss and moaning.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very nice- Warwick Davis. Used the 'Don't you know who I am?' When he was asked to pay the entrance charge of an attraction I used to work at. Once he realised no one was the least bit bothered about who he was, and that he would have to pay, he left. After some fuss and moaning.

Ha ha, good. Anyone who uses the 'do you know who I am' line to get a freebie should be made to pay double. Triple if they are in a reality TV show that most people will never watch such as TOWIE or Geordie Shore.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,006
    Forum Member
    We better not mention C.B again on here..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd have said, "Yes I do but you're not getting free. I'll let you in at the half-price rate, though!"
    (This from a fellow shortie, although I'd probably give Warwick Davis a foot or so!)