Options

The Chase (ITV) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was one of the most bizarre performance on The Chase I think I've ever seen.

Had Lauren ever actually watched The Chase before she applied to go on it? Presumably she had. So she must have had some idea of the standard of questions and the sort of questions that get asked. They're wide ranging - Politics,History,Geography,Current Affairs,Sport,Entertainment and so on. If you're planning to apply for The Chase,you should know something about some,if not most of these subjects. She just didn't seem to know very much at all. She seemed totally non plussed at some of the questions - almost as if she's thinking,"How am I expected to know that,I've never heard of any of them."

You do have to wonder what she was hoping to achieve by applying.

And you also have to wonder how she passed the audition to get on the show. I have never applied so I've no idea what the audition is like. Presumably there's some sort of general knowledge test. If there is,you have to wonder how she scored in it.

Now I'm not saying everyone who appears on The Chase should be a top quizzer who knows all the Kings and Queens since the Norman Conquest (although it might help,since they often come up). I'm all for mixed ability. That's part of what makes The Chase the great show it is.

But I think sometimes they let people on it who really shouldn't be on it. Lauren was always going to struggle and it ended up an embarrassingly poor showing.
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the point of letting the third contestant go on?

Absolutely woeful.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point of letting the third contestant go on?

Absolutely woeful.

She will "know stuff that the others don't", apparently. Or maybe she's there to make other people look clever. Who knows.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know when the new Chaser Debuts, because she been mention a few times so far but not appeared:confused:
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new Chaser Debuts, because she been mention a few times so far but not appeared:confused:

When it returns in September.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    .......or Mutiny on the Bounty or anything else you except a half intelligent person to have heard of?

First of all, people acquire trivia depending on a variety of factors. I know people hate the "it was before my time" excuse but I doubt a girl of her age and her friendship group are going to be discussing Mutiny on the Bounty during a sleepover. Likewise, if she has no interest in history, why would she come across Mutiny on the Bounty? It's not an event relevant to today and it wouldn't come up in ordinary conversation.

So if a great scientist doesn't know about a naval event that took place over 200 years ago, does that make him/her thick too? Or does that silly standard only apply to the youth of today on quiz shows?
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all, people acquire trivia depending on a variety of factors. I know people hate the "it was before my time" excuse but I doubt a girl of her age and her friendship group are going to be discussing Mutiny on the Bounty during a sleepover. Likewise, if she has no interest in history, why would she come across Mutiny on the Bounty? It's not an event relevant to today and it wouldn't come up in ordinary conversation.

So if a great scientist doesn't know about a naval event that took place over 200 years ago, does that make him/her thick too? Or does that silly standard only apply to the youth of today on quiz shows?

Didn't she say at the beginning that she studies history?

Anyway, I'm 19, so a smidgen younger than she is, and I would have got that one right. And I've heard of Tommy Cooper!
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member

Are you serious???:o

You don't need to have an interest in something to have heard of it.

I have never actively sought out information about many subjects but to have not heard about them would be nothing short of pure ignorance. It's whats known as general knowledge ;-)

You would expect a person of average (or better) intellect , to be able to associate the words "famous mutiny" with "Bounty". As for never having heard of one of the most famous magicians ever................:o

Not the type of person you would have confidence in.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching an old episode of a celebrity special shown on ITV4 and in the final chase the question began

"Suzie Dent is the resident of which corner......"

and Paul interrupted with 'Countdown' and Bradley announced he was correct.

How could he possibly have been correct, the question was 'which corner...' and the answer clearly was 'Dictionary corner'. It seemed odd how they accepted an answer that was clearly incorrect from the Chaser.

Unless the question was:

'Suzie Dent is the resident of which corner on which TV show?' - which wouldn't have made any sense
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I knew I recognised her from somewhere.

Get on one, get on lots
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I wonder if we'll get a new thread for the new series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    anyone watching the one now on ITV1 @ 11.15pm? Two mastermind champions don't know the capital of Indiana is Indianapolis. Sean said it is Indiana, Indiana.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I got to the final selection for Perfection, through interview stage, I assume that there will be a pre selection "exam" for all quiz shows. How some get through is astonishing unless the selection process applies some weighting to personal bizareness
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a rule change where someone buzzing in lights up all the contestants and then Bradley has to accept the first answer given from the panel of contestants, regardless as to whether it came from the contestant who buzzed.

It would save the contestants time by not having to wait on a call and respond

So:

"Paris is the capital of which European country"

Instead of seat 4 buzzing and seat 4 having to wait for their name to be called before they can respond, we hear a buzz and then the contestants are all 'in play' as it were, and it's a free 4 all where if the first answer he hears is 'France' regardless as to whether seat 4 says it, it's accepted. But if seat two gets in first and says 'Germany' then it's accepted as an incorrecrect answer even though seat four triggered the buzzer.
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see a rule change where someone buzzing in lights up all the contestants and then Bradley has to accept the first answer given from the panel of contestants, regardless as to whether it came from the contestant who buzzed.

So:

Instead of seat 4 buzzing and seat 4 having to wait for their name to be called before they can respond, we hear a buzz and then the contestants are all 'in play' as it were, and it's a free 4 all where if the first answer he hears is 'France' regardless as to whether seat 4 says it, it's accepted. But if seat two gets in first and says 'Germany' then it's accepted as an incorrecrect answer even though seat four triggered the buzzer.

I agree, I think it can be a disadvantage to have more people on your team because of the buzzer situation.
    I think your idea is a good one.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

So:

That wouldn't work because 4 people could call out different answers at the same time. It would be car crash TV.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone watching the one now on ITV1 @ 11.15pm? Two mastermind champions don't know the capital of Indiana is Indianapolis. Sean said it is Indiana, Indiana.

Top quizzers should know all the US state capitals.

I know them all,and I wouldn't consider myself a top quizzer.

If you use one of the memory techniques like picture or word association it's not that difficult to do and doesn't take that long. It took me about two hours to learn them all,(top memory guys could learn a fifty item list in a lot less than that),plus a refresher the next day and one a week later. After that you probably only need a ten minute refresher every few months or so to keep them in your mind.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So:

I don't agree. I think the balance is about right between the contestants and the chaser and think making it easier for the contestants would spoil the show.

It is supposed to be difficult for the contestants to win and the advantages they have with the numbers, lead and push backs are sufficient.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It does beg the question why someone so awful at the format of this particular show would go on it? Some on here get really annoyed at people taking the low offer but if I was a fellow contestant then I would be really annoyed that someone so awful at the game was on there.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wouldn't work because 4 people could call out different answers at the same time. It would be car crash TV.

It might be even worse, because if you were a person who didn't press the buzzer you'd probably wait for the person who buzzed to answer it, and as they did buzz you'd be thinking they know the answer so it's just on the tip of their tongue as they're trying to remember it.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    New quiz tonight they showed a 20 second clip and that was enough. ANswering questions like which city has the empire state building and shoving miniture ice floats into the middle of the table to knock your opponents off and get nearest the middle.
    Where do they get these ideas?
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    More on the new chaser

Her name is Jenny Ryan and her nick name is the "Vicious Vixen" or the "Bolton Brainiac"

https://twitter.com/jenlion < Twitter
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching Freeze Out for the first time, September cannot come soon enough.
  • Options
    JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P.Ramlee wrote: »
    After watching Freeze Out for the first time, September cannot come soon enough.

I'll second that, the questions on Freeze Out are so easy and although I've had it on it does not hold my attention and find myself doing other things. Also think it looks virtually impossible to land one of those 'thingies' on the centre spot so I will be very very surprised if anyone takes a gamble to go for the £10K.

Looking forward to seeing the new Chaser, should freshen it up a bit, roll on September.
  • Options
    GameshowGeekGameshowGeek Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I think I watched that a couple of times before giving up, it was terrible and Julia Bradbury was just cringeworthy giving contestants high fives if they won :o

Haha I was on that show too, never got a high five from Julia though, gutted :(
This discussion has been closed.