Options

iPhone 5 recalled over faulty power button (Wake / Sleep)

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Got an iPhone 5? Well it may have been shipped with a faulty batch of power buttons, or Wake Sleep button as Apple likes to call them. You can get them repaired for free. You will need to make and appointment at the Genius Bar to arrange repair. You can check if your iPhone 5 needs repaired at the link below by entering the serial number:

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/apple-pledges-to-replace-faulty-iphone-5-sleep-wake-buttons-1245445

Surprisingly Apple haven't told their customer they are "pressing it the wrong way" ;-) :D

Comments

• Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    This isn't a recall. If it were Apple would be, you know, recalling every single phone. Only users affected by the specific issue need to take or send their phone into Apple
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I randomly checked the serial number of mine and apparently it does qualify, but the power button is working fine at the moment. might be worth getting it done either way though since it's obviously one of the duff ones ..
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this problem months ago and went into Apple and they replaced it straight away free of charge.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same with me - got it replaced immediately at Glasgow Buchanan street store several months ago with no fuss whatsoever. Worked out quite well as it was just before I was planning to upgrade to the 5S so ended up with a pristine iPhone 5 to sell.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I randomly checked the serial number of mine and apparently it does qualify, but the power button is working fine at the moment. might be worth getting it done either way though since it's obviously one of the duff ones ..

They won't do anything unless you are experiencing the issue. It isn't a recall despite the highly misleading thread title
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    They won't do anything unless you are experiencing the issue. It isn't a recall despite the highly misleading thread title

Fair play. Hopefully they won't put a time limit on the free repair option because knowing my luck, the button will crap out the day after it finishes :)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there are none in the supply chain now, the wait likely saved having to recall 10s of millions. Like the past they always do this as silent recalls, never contacting you direct and leaving the onus on you to find out for yourself.

It must be a bad one as, by past comments, the home button is the most common point of failure. That never got any iPhone headlines or advisory.
  • Options
    GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I had this happen last summer and i was luckily still in my warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly Apple haven't told their customer ...
    I did see a headline about it being an 'Apple freebie'.
    Disasters are certainly of the triumphant kind.
    :)

The clever thing is that, by giving their usual low end warranty, even giving extended free support on lower grade parts has to be far cheaper than giving any high end warranty in the first place.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I didn't know about Apple's low end warranty. I thought that things like warranties were pretty much standard. What don't Apple warranties cover that is covered by other company's warranties?

I know people post here out if general interest, but it's interesting so see the predictable picking over this Apple story, but nothing about the camera issues with some S5s.

Just sayin'. :p
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I must admit I didn't know about Apple's low end warranty. I thought that things like warranties were pretty much standard. What don't Apple warranties cover that is covered by other company's warranties?

I know people post here out if general interest, but it's interesting so see the predictable picking over this Apple story, but nothing about the camera issues with some S5s.

Just sayin'. :p

Spot the fist person to post a 'defensive comparison post' .....

I doubt you would have got very good odds on predicting who would do that !

Just sayin' ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey! If the cap fits.

Just sayin'.

So what do you even mean anyway? That endless threads about anything negative about Apple, cynically posted under the guise of general interest, are all fine.

But anyone seeing through this general interest is guilty of somehow defending something?
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    I had this problem months ago and went into Apple and they replaced it straight away free of charge.

I had a problem with an iPad and the customer service was excellent. Partly explains the huge customer loyalty.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hey! If the cap fits.

Just sayin'.

So what do you even mean anyway? That endless threads about anything negative about Apple, cynically posted under the guise of general interest, are all fine.

But anyone seeing through this general interest is guilty of somehow defending something?

lol. no. more that this looked to be a thread specifically about Apple and an Apple issue.

Saying that other devices brands also have issues is:

a) blindingly obvious
    b) off topic

... and thats the last i will say on the matter :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I didn't know about Apple's low end warranty. I thought that things like warranties were pretty much standard. ...
    They are, at 12 months.

It just happens that the high end phones mainly give 24 months to match the European standard.

It is in consumers interests to know.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Surprised they didn't just tell everyone how fab the screen is instead, usually does the trick :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    They are, at 12 months.

It just happens that the high end phones mainly give 24 months to match the European standard.

It is in consumers interests to know.

It's not European standard, It is European law, and the supplier of your iPhone will give you a 2 year warranty (or longer depending on the country), just like any other mobile phone provider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that 70mph UK motorway speed limit is not standard, it is law.
    :confused:

It's always a weird looking world when that we have a bible basher 'standard'.
    Ridiculous.
    :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So that 70mph UK motorway speed limit is not standard, it is law.
    :confused:

It's always a weird looking world when that we have a bible basher 'standard'.
    Ridiculous.
    :eek:

Have you ever seen a 70mph sign on a motorway?

Anyway, I suppose it helps distract from your error regarding iphone warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought that a 12 month warranty was pretty much standard.

I didn't realise 12 month warranties were some sort of sub standard only offered by companies as despicable as Apple.

By the way Alan, you never did say how Apple misquoted Greenpeace. I'll take your continued silence on that to mean that there was no misquotation.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't just tell everyone how fab the screen is instead, usually does the trick :D

What on earth do you mean? My screen IS fab! :D
    EDIT: Now, where is that coat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes surprised apple haven't reiterated that in response to the faulty button :)
  • Options
    xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahhh the usual suspects lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Yes surprised apple haven't reiterated that in response to the faulty button :)

You know, just because you say something over and over again, doesn't actually ground it any sort of reality.

But that aside, good point, well made. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems to work quite well for your reality avoidance ;-)
This discussion has been closed.