The Glastonbury Festival 2013, 28-30th Jun, BBC2&3&4

1495051525355»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been trying to since 2008!! They do need to sort out the ticketing system, it's crazy. I know a lot of regulars who couldn't get a ticket this year.

I've always thought it would be fairer to allocate priority in the ticketing to those who have supported the festival through thick and thin over the years. Not happy with the amount of tickets that are given to big corporate companies either.

Anything to dilute the Tarquin & Tamara glamping set of trustafarians would be a good thing IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought it would be fairer to allocate priority in the ticketing to those who have supported the festival through thick and thin over the years. Not happy with the amount of tickets that are given to big corporate companies either.

Anything to dilute the Tarquin & Tamara glamping set of trustafarians would be a good thing IMO.

I agree with your views, Komrade K, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter :D
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many tickets are given to big corporate companies? Doesn't sound very Glastonbury.

Don't know if we've just been very lucky, but we've managed to get tickets every year since we started going in 2002. There was one ridiculous year when they went on sale at 4pm and it took until about 2am to get them. We earned them that year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    How many tickets are given to big corporate companies? Doesn't sound very Glastonbury.

Don't know if we've just been very lucky, but we've managed to get tickets every year since we started going in 2002. There was one ridiculous year when they went on sale at 4pm and it took until about 2am to get them. We earned them that year!

The BBC for one, Orange too and whilst they're not exactly "corporate", Oxfam get a good few hundred too. It's still elitism no matter how you look at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how many tickets are we talking about? The BBC provide a shedload of coverage but I'm not sure they're getting shedloads of "corporate tickets". Same with Orange - they do the recharging tents, but I'm not sure how many corporate tickets they're getting.

And with Oxfam, Greenpeace and Wateraid, isn't it mostly volunteers on site?

If there's branded beer on sale (as well as local beer and cider), or the recharging tents, or cash machines, I think that's unavoidable. But I really don't think Glastonbury can be described as "corporate". Its not as though the site has several McDonalds around the place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly no "V Festival", I'll give you that. But unfortunately it is a lot more corporate than it used to be. I know someone who works for the Beeb, and excluding the working staff approx. 1000 VIP corporate package tickets were on offer free gratis for their staff who weren't working there.

And the yurt packages too at £3k each. With the volume of other attendees they get, is that price really necessary?

I don't mind seeing logos - as you say, branded drinks, food etc. is fine, that's everywhere and businesses need to advertise. But it used to be more of an "all human life is there" underground vibe, where people could come & be themselves.

Now it would appear being yourself is wearing flowers on your hair, denim shorts & Hunters just like all 100 of your boarding school chums who are in attendance. And what time is Justin Bieber on? You mean he's not playing. (I've no issue with diverse acts from all music genres, but I did see some Twitter idiot friends of friends who were livid that Bieber & 1D weren't on the bill. In all seriousness!)

Last weekend was wonderful, but Glastonbury is losing its old edge. Unavoidable, yes, but sad nonetheless. Long may it live all the same, as long as it doesn't turn into V.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were - enjoy the show on Saturday. They played for about two and a quarter hours, and they only showed what - an hour?

This was the full setlist.

Cheers, thanks. I hope to. but there are now disturbing suggestions that the Stones are only timed to do a 90 minute set though. :mad:

The organisation of this event has been diabolical throughout and AEG the promoters have shown nothing but contempt to the fans. Just to give one example of the cluster****, thousands of tickets were never sent out and will have to be collected at the box office on the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers, thanks. I hope to. but there are now disturbing suggestions that the Stones are only timed to do a 90 minute set though. :mad:

The Stones were booked to come on at 9:30 and leave at 23:45. They played exactly what they should have played, albeit 10 minutes later than scheduled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly no "V Festival", I'll give you that. But unfortunately it is a lot more corporate than it used to be. I know someone who works for the Beeb, and excluding the working staff approx. 1000 VIP corporate package tickets were on offer free gratis for their staff who weren't working there.

And the yurt packages too at £3k each. With the volume of other attendees they get, is that price really necessary?

I don't mind seeing logos - as you say, branded drinks, food etc. is fine, that's everywhere and businesses need to advertise. But it used to be more of an "all human life is there" underground vibe, where people could come & be themselves.

Now it would appear being yourself is wearing flowers on your hair, denim shorts & Hunters just like all 100 of your boarding school chums who are in attendance. And what time is Justin Bieber on? You mean he's not playing. (I've no issue with diverse acts from all music genres, but I did see some Twitter idiot friends of friends who were livid that Bieber & 1D weren't on the bill. In all seriousness!)

Last weekend was wonderful, but Glastonbury is losing its old edge. Unavoidable, yes, but sad nonetheless. Long may it live all the same, as long as it doesn't turn into V.

Admittedly I've only been going since 2002, but I don't really think its very corporate at all. I'm not sure what exactly these corporate tickets get you. Its not like any of the stages at Glastonbury have VIP areas or "golden circles" which I hate at gigs, and seem to have started around the time of the Live 8 concerts.

I didn't know the yurts were so expensive, only that the teepees are about £1k - but then they can sleep at least 8 people. With the yurts, I never see that as being indicative of "corporate-ness" - just some fancy camping if people have stupid money to spend. I don't know how much Glastonbury get of that money, either directly, or as a kickback from the yurt company.

I think the festival is big enough to accommodate a small proportion who can afford a yurt - the main thing is that wandering around the site doesn't feel corporate. Just the opposite in fact, from the Green Fields to Shrangli La, it couldn't be any less corporate.

With regards food and drink, other than Gaymers Cider and Tuborg, there's very little in the way of branded food and drink - does The Square Pie Company count?

I don't think it will ever turn into V thank God. Went to one day of V one year, and after Glastonbury it was crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The organisation of this event has been diabolical throughout and AEG the promoters have shown nothing but contempt to the fans. Just to give one example of the cluster****, thousands of tickets were never sent out and will have to be collected at the box office on the day.

Surely it'll be just as long a set - especially at those ticket prices!
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Finally got round to seeing the Chic and Nile Rogers set. Just fantastic. Definitely my favourite set from the whole weekend.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    The Stones were booked to come on at 9:30 and leave at 23:45. They played exactly what they should have played, albeit 10 minutes later than scheduled.

At Glastonbury? Yes. We're talking about Hyde Park though. :(
    Surely it'll be just as long a set - especially at those ticket prices!

One would hope so! But they have changed the timings several times. Last time I looked, they were saying 2030 - 2215 but originally they had 2045 start. :eek:

This is Hyde Park with its infamous 2230 curfew, so we have to hope and pray that the Stones are punctual.