Anyone got a DVR-545HX-S yet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
Forum Member
... and if you have, what do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one - it's on the short list, so any opinions appreciated ;)
TIA

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Yes, I had it delivered yesterday.
    I am pretty gadget savvy, thing is this takes the biscuit.
    There is a 170 page manual. all I wanted to do is connect my Sky box to it.
    Connected as per the instructions, at it for hours setting up the electronic program guide, still not right.

First time ever for me to contact customer support. They took me step by step on how to connect it, it's nothing like the way it's shown in the book.

I still have not got it to recognise my digi box, that is where I am at the moment.
    Didn't have much hair to start with I am afraid to look now.
    I have come up on the computer now to go to electronic program guide site to see if my area can receive it.

Looks good , and it plays good, and so it should for £399. the amount I paid.
    Sorry I have been so negative, if I have success I will update.
    Ralph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Yes I downloaded the manual and it is a bit long... :) I hope you get it going... An update of what you think of it later would be good thanks ;) There must be several people with one by now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Had mine a week now. It replaced a 5100 that I had for a couple of years

Very easy set up. Impressive picture quality on digital channels. No problem recording from my Echostar sat receiver again good quality .

As with all things there are niggles the biggest for us is that a few functions are activated on the remote by pressing and holding the shift key then pressing a second key. It gets harder as the hands get older.

All in all very pleased for us a big improvement on the Sony RDRHXD710 which went back to the supplier within a week.
    Forum Member
    Hi Peter.

Glad you have yours going ok.

Please tell me, I have a Thomson satellite receiver I don't subscribe to Sky and therefore can't set my box onto Eurosport to enable it to send more codes for me to try. I have tried ITV that is no good.

Problem I am having is. When I go to settings and start going through it, I come to the part pick cable, satellite, freeview, I pick satellite then Sky digital, and when I click on that I should have a list to enable me to select my Thomson box, there is no list there only one word I click on that and it sends a signal but it don't change the channel in fact the screen is blank, got any ideas?

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Will this machine support the new freeview playback like the sony's
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    andrewd1 wrote:
    Will this machine support the new freeview playback like the sony's

yes it does as it same as DVR540HX - you need to plug the cable from Antenna into Digital and then from Digital to Aerial and Aerial to tv or video recorder. then it record as Freeview - use Digital EPG as it record straight from Freeview and you watch same way
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    mjt03 wrote:
    yes it does as it same as DVR540HX - you need to plug the cable from Antenna into Digital and then from Digital to Aerial and Aerial to tv or video recorder. then it record as Freeview - use Digital EPG as it record straight from Freeview and you watch same way

Thanks but will it be able to use the new series links that will be brought in with freeview playback????
    thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone knows this yet, which is probably why you haven't had an answer... ;) The 545 is out now and the spec doesn't mention "Freeview Playback " compatibility anywhere I have read about it. If it was going to be, it would have to be by an update later on. Out of interest which Sony's are you talking about? Are they out now, or sometime later?
    Forum Member
    Ive decided to bought Pioneer DVR-545HX-S as replaced DVR-540HX and it seem good -- Pioneer pushed back 1 year late for new model by 2008 so I bought 545HX with multi-region version -- it worked great as it worked with Pause TV live either TV Tuner or Recorder Tuner, i just press one button and it worked right away and I checked the info and Region: 14 mean all region (Multi-region). nice stuff.

If you record freeview digital channel then use DTV select then it record freeview and then playback but it dont say "Freeview playback" but it has built-in digital tuner that you can record and playback Freeview digital (for Sky use with G-Link) -- if you select DTV then BBC1 showed as D001 that mean Digital 001 which is BBC1 channel.
    Forum Member
    I have had mine going now for about five days.

Have given it a good go, the G link works a treat, very easy to record programs, picture good.

I had a problem setting mine up at the start, getting it to go with my sky box. All I needed to do was, pick any means of getting the signal, Arial, cable, as long as at the end my sky box name came up to enable me to pick it so it would send the correct code. I have said this so anyone else setting it up don't slavishly only follow the way their box is connected.

I have not had another DVD recorder to compare with this one, all I will say is it works ok.
    Forum Member
    Celtic Yob wrote:
    I have had mine going now for about five days.

Have given it a good go, the G link works a treat, very easy to record programs, picture good.

I had a problem setting mine up at the start, getting it to go with my sky box. All I needed to do was, pick any means of getting the signal, Arial, cable, as long as at the end my sky box name came up to enable me to pick it so it would send the correct code. I have said this so anyone else setting it up don't slavishly only follow the way their box is connected.

I have not had another DVD recorder to compare with this one, all I will say is it works ok.

which model of sky digital box do you use? I used Panasonic that worked great as it went very smooth during installation - dont seem any problems but I used Digital EPG instead of Guide Plus (Ive tried the G-Link for using Guide Plus that also worked fine but the host channel usual take 24-28 hrs to receive all channels) if you use G-link with Guide Plus then set the channel to ITV and leave at stand by for at least 26 hrs then it will come up. Guide Plus that you need to set up Postcode, etc.. in the set up section and then standby the dvd recorder and then leave it for few days - it will come up ( I also used the booster that make lots quicker and very good picture) - we used Freeview and Sky Digital as it still excellent signal (Freeview is 99% and Sky Digital is 91%)
    Forum Member
    which model of sky digital box do you use? I used Panasonic that worked great as it went very smooth during installation - dont seem any problems but I used Digital EPG instead of Guide Plus (Ive tried the G-Link for using Guide Plus that also worked fine but the host channel usual take 24-28 hrs to receive all channels) if you use G-link with Guide Plus then set the channel to ITV and leave at stand by for at least 26 hrs then it will come up. Guide Plus that you need to set up Postcode, etc.. in the set up section and then standby the dvd recorder and then leave it for few days - it will come up ( I also used the booster that make lots quicker and very good picture) - we used Freeview and Sky Digital as it still excellent signal (Freeview is 99% and Sky Digital is 91%)

I have a Thomson box for sky
    Reading your thread it seems you have sky and freeview going in. If you have how do you connect the freeview arial?

I have a freeview arial but have not connected it. I live in a fringe area as far as receiving freeview and the picture sometimes freezes, I would like to be able to record off sky and watch another program on freeview is this possible?

What is that you refer to (I also used the booster) is that an arial booster you are talking about?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    from sky dish and aerial into sky digibox and 2 scart cable from digibox to dvd recorder and tv plus dvd to tv + the cable that i plugged from digibox into dvd recorder (digital input) and other cable plugged from digital into antenna and other cable from antenna (tv out) to tv so that dvd recorder & tv has 2 scart plugged that we used sky and freeview (via booster to keep the picture stay clean without any freezing, etc) we got too many cable that plugged through booster so it worked great also i plugged to our bedrooms as well with extra cable. at first i was confused when i plug and tried to see if it work (that took me few hours to work it out) finally it worked at last

check your tv freeview digital if it more than 70% then it would be fine -- our home is not far from the strong tv masts that make our freeview very good signal..

if you need any help or ask then drop me any more question -- i know it slighty confuse but our home has too many cable that already plugged.
    Forum Member
    Thanks mjt03.

So you are receiving sky and freeview. I will wire up as you suggest.

And will ask questions as you suggest, if problems arise.

Again thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I am thinking of buying one of these and would appreciate it if someone could help with a few questions I have.

I plan to connect the unit to my telewest box:

i) Would this allow me to record something on the telewest box and watch something on the freeview and vice versa?

ii) Can i record from the freeview or from the telewest box whilst playing a dvd?

iii) Would i lose any functionality of the system when recording from telewest? Eg can i still use the live pause, timeshift functions etc?

iv) Does the ep guide pick up what is on telewest? i.e. can i select a program that is on in three days time on telewest and record it?

v) Can i do the equivalent of a series link like on sky +?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I have a couple of questions on the DVR-544HX-S.
    I have connected the aerial, via the coaxial cable, to a Freeview Box (Philips 210/05) then to the Pioneer then to the TV (currently an old Sony KV-25F1U). The SCART cables are connected from the STB to the DVD then DVD to the TV’s SCART RGB socket. First question is; is this correct?
    Have set the DVD to Guide Plus with the G-Link. The manual infers that “This enables you to control the tuner in the external receiver using the Guide Plus system”. Second question is, with the Pioneer in standby mode should the Philips be able to pick up the Guide Plus information and display on the TV?
    I note mjt03’s comment regarding the time it takes initially for the Guide Plus to download all the Channels. The Pioneer seemed to have downloaded all the necessary ‘EPG’ (I successfully recorded a programme using it) but notice that the DVD seems to be downloading ‘EPG’ details at least twice a day each taking over an hour. Would this be what to expect?
    Thank for reading. Any comments appreciated.
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    Yes, it connects to the EPG a few times in 24 hours, this seem to be an ongoing thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tachyon wrote:
    I have a couple of questions on the DVR-544HX-S.
    I have connected the aerial, via the coaxial cable, to a Freeview Box (Philips 210/05) then to the Pioneer then to the TV (currently an old Sony KV-25F1U). The SCART cables are connected from the STB to the DVD then DVD to the TV’s SCART RGB socket. First question is; is this correct?
    Have set the DVD to Guide Plus with the G-Link. The manual infers that “This enables you to control the tuner in the external receiver using the Guide Plus system”. Second question is, with the Pioneer in standby mode should the Philips be able to pick up the Guide Plus information and display on the TV?
    I note mjt03’s comment regarding the time it takes initially for the Guide Plus to download all the Channels. The Pioneer seemed to have downloaded all the necessary ‘EPG’ (I successfully recorded a programme using it) but notice that the DVD seems to be downloading ‘EPG’ details at least twice a day each taking over an hour. Would this be what to expect?
    Thank for reading. Any comments appreciated.
    Thanks

Just wondering why you would want to use this recorder to control an external freeview box ? The Guide+ system is good for controlling an external satellite or cable box, but if you are only using freeview wouldn't you be better off using the recorder's Digital EPG and just recording straight off the box's own digital tuner ?

You can still use the external freeview box for when you want to watch a different channel to the one you are recording, i.e. by putting it on a different tv scart, or by looping it through your recorder and using the loop-through function (channel up button).
    Forum Member
    Celtic Yob wrote:
    Yes, it connects to the EPG a few times in 24 hours, this seem to be an ongoing thing.

I thought it a bit odd but there you go. A little niggle with this recorder is when downloading the EPG the fan operates. Although not particularly noisy its a bit annoying.
    Forum Member
    Cobson wrote:
    Just wondering why you would want to use this recorder to control an external freeview box ? The Guide+ system is good for controlling an external satellite or cable box, but if you are only using freeview wouldn't you be better off using the recorder's Digital EPG and just recording straight off the box's own digital tuner ?

You can still use the external freeview box for when you want to watch a different channel to the one you are recording, i.e. by putting it on a different tv scart, or by looping it through your recorder and using the loop-through function (channel up button).

I had hoped to be able to use one remote to operate the recorder and the STB. Why is it that every piece of equipment seems to come with a remote that's incompatible with everthing else?

I can watch via the STB and can recorded to the recorder - but not simultaneously! I haven't connected either to a separate SCART (the video recorder is using that) but have tried the loop through option (page 74 of the manual) but can't get it to function.
    Any ideas as to what I am do wrong?
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Quick question? Can you copy DivX/XVid material to the hard drive and watch it from there?
  • JonLambertJonLambert Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gravity wrote:
    I am thinking of buying one of these and would appreciate it if someone could help with a few questions I have.

I plan to connect the unit to my telewest box:

i) Would this allow me to record something on the telewest box and watch something on the freeview and vice versa?

ii) Can i record from the freeview or from the telewest box whilst playing a dvd?

iii) Would i lose any functionality of the system when recording from telewest? Eg can i still use the live pause, timeshift functions etc?

iv) Does the ep guide pick up what is on telewest? i.e. can i select a program that is on in three days time on telewest and record it?

v) Can i do the equivalent of a series link like on sky +?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I dont have exactly the same model of recorder as is being discussed here (i have the DVR-540HX) but I believe that appart from a few extras they are essentially the same, so answers to your questions.

i) You will not be able to record from the telewest box and watch freeview at the same time (assuming you are referring to the built-in freeview). You will however be able to record from the freeview box, and watch your telewest box at the same time.

ii) Yes, you can watch a dvd whilst the box is recording.

iii) Not entirely sure what you mean in this question, if you are referring to some kind of live pause feature on the telewest box, bare in mind that if you pause, you will be recording a paused picture onto the recorder.

iv) I am going to say yes to this, I don't have telewest, but this is exactly what it does for Sky. Any recording you select that is not broadcast on freeview, will instead record from your external box (telewest in your case), and as long as that box is turned on, it will change the channel for you.

v) Not as such. You can however set a recording to record on a weekly basis (in the same way that vcr's work), but this is only effective if the program has the same timeslot each week.
    Forum Member
    Thank you Jon, I needed that information also.

How do you get to be able to use your sky box, as is my case, When I am recording from the DVDs freeview tuner?
    I can't seem to be able to see sky at the same time.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the manual, you press channel-up which activates the scart loopthrough feature. Channel-down de-activates it. Someone here said that you have to use the buttons on the box itself rather than on the remote.