Removing cprm on my pioneer 633 dvd-recorder, can anyone help out?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
Hello everyone

I've tryed googgeling this issue for quite some time now, however so far I've not found any usable replys yet. hopefully someone inhere will be able to help out?

I've got a pioneer 633 dvd-recorder hooked up to a sky digibox (panasonic 2dsb31). the units are connected via scart/RGB.

Well, as I am visually impaired I am often recording content from the Sky channels that have audio description enabled. (for all of you US readers, audio description is the UK aquivalent to the US term DVS).

well, so far I've been able to record programmes to the inbilled harddrive without any problems. After I've finished editing the content it is burned onto dvdr-discs and then deleted from the HD.

well, now I have unfortunatlly stumpled apon the very annoying copy protection issue, that prevents me making an additional coppy on a dvr-disc.

I would expect this copy right protection only to be found on the newest blockbusters, however the current issue actually involves a repeat of the hit-series "charmed" with audio description.

I actually was able to coppy the first two episodes onto a dual layer disc, however from episode 3 and onwards (6 or so aught to fit on a dual layer disc), I've been unable to duplicate onto the dvd-r.

I was wondering if there is any way to get around this issue, so that I am able to actually make copys of all the episodes I have on my HD at present!

Any help is greatly aprishiated!

all the best from Allan

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately under current UK law what you are doing is illegal. So is trying to get round copy protection. So you may not get much if any help here (goes against DS T&C basically).

Basically you can record TV programmes purely for the purposes of time shiffting, ie to watch at a later date. You cannot keep recordings for an extended period for multiple viewings nor store them in an archive. All this can be found on the Intellectual property website if you dig hard enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it is a copy protection issue ? If it was, then I wouldn't have thought that the dvd recorder would allow you to record the program to the hard disk in the first place. What error message is coming up ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Hi

Well, as I am blind, unfortunatlly I am unable to read the mesage which I'm sure pops onto the display. However, I would indeed suspect it to be a copy protection issue, as it is only happening when recording this series (from living TV - if that helps).
    all other stuff I've recorded from channels like Sci-fi, sky1 and others are copied to dvd just fine.

I would asume that this could actualy be a case of a "copy once" insidende, in which case the show can only be recorded onto the HDD, however it cant be copied on to dvr-discs.

this is very annoying, and actually also a bit strange, since the first two episodes burned to my dvd-disc just fine.

And yes, I've indeed also tryed burning the episodes onto other media, such as dvr-w etc. However no luck!

All the best from Allan
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes it's common on pioneers to have this issue,it's a single feature of the recorder which is explained in the manual.
    It never bothered me once the whole time i had a pioneer recorder as i use the pc,and i like video editing.
    Overall it sounds like a user prohibition rather than anything else,the finished discs don't have copy protection on them.
    user prohibitions are for example when you press on the remote and it tells you you cannot do this action at the moment.
    To some it can be considered to be fairly innocent wanting to record a 2nd disc of a tv programme,but they are trying to cut down on dvd recorders being used as copy machines,doing 100 copies of one disc for example.