Options

Left hot water on for 24 hours straight - will it really cost me?

Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I normally only need to switch the hot water boiler on twice a week for half an hour a time and that gives ample hot water for the week.

However, I switched it on yesterday morning and forgot to switch it off - and I only just realised it was still on half an hour ago, so it's therefore been on continuously for more than 24 hours.

Now I don't know the first thing about whether it's constantly heating up the water during that time, so what I basically want to know is: will having it on so long cost me a massive amount in extra electricity?

Comments

• Options
    francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending how modern the system is it should cut off once it reaches a certain temperature. Takes ours about an hour to do that. You would hear it if it was properly on for 24 hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I normally only need to switch the hot water boiler on twice a week for half an hour a time and that gives ample hot water for the week.

However, I switched it on yesterday morning and forgot to switch it off - and I only just realised it was still on half an hour ago, so it's therefore been on continuously for more than 24 hours.

Now I don't know the first thing about whether it's constantly heating up the water during that time, so what I basically want to know is: will having it on so long cost me a massive amount in extra electricity?

Probably not. Once it's reached temperature it will switch off and if you have not used it will only run to maintain the temperature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    If you can look at your water cylinder, does it have a clamp-on thermostat on the side?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    If you can look at your water cylinder, does it have a clamp-on thermostat on the side?

I can't - it's behind a load of airing cupboard shelving and there's no light in there.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the hot water lasts for several days then the insulation must be very good.

I would think that's it's just going to be switching on briefly every now and then.

I wouldn't be that concerned, I'm just guessing but I would think it'll be around £5 extra. The total "on" time is not going to be 24hrs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't - it's behind a load of airing cupboard shelving and there's no light in there.

Don't worry there will be a thermostat, all immersion heaters have them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I would think that's it's just going to be switching on briefly every now and then.

I wouldn't be that concerned, I'm just guessing but I would think it'll be around £5 extra. The total "on" time is not going to be 24hrs

Yeah, I think the insulation is pretty good.

The real frustration is I'm always ultra-careful - to the point of being paranoid - that I haven't turned the water off and on every occasion I have, but this once it just didn't cross my mind.

Hey ho.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your electric bill probably won't be any higher. it probably costs no more to have the water heater on all the time than it does to re-heat a tank full of water that's gone cold
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I never turn mine off. Don't worry about it.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably looking around 4-500 quid.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »

I'd better change supplier then.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In order to compensate (and teach yourself a lesson) you'll have to take cold showers for the next 3 months.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

I don't believe you (unless you take no hot showers or baths).
    LostFool wrote: »
    In order to compensate (and teach yourself a lesson) you'll have to take cold showers for the next 3 months.

He must already be doing that if the opening post is to be believed.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Your electric bill probably won't be any higher. it probably costs no more to have the water heater on all the time than it does to re-heat a tank full of water that's gone cold

Urban myth #37 recycled for the umpteenth time.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours has been on constantly since 2006, costs us less to keep it on constantly than it did to heat up the whole tank when we want hot water. The older tanks are not the same though as they are not as well insulated, modern ones have very efficient insulation so do not lose heat any where near as quick.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you meant you left a tap running. I've done that. too.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine on permanently.........I figure it probably cost less or much the same for it to come on every now and then to top up the heat rather than heat a full tank of cold water two or three times a week
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

£5 extra? I'd say it'll be a small fraction of that, for the very reason you give.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Urban myth #37 recycled for the umpteenth time.

Except it's perfectly true :D
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    I don't believe you (unless you take no hot showers or baths).

Electric shower? In the summer last year, I didn't bother with my water heater at all. Switched it off and left it. Hot showers as it was an electric shower and just boiled the kettle to do the dishes.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »

If your lucky.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    will having it on so long cost me a massive amount in extra electricity?

Even if you have a 3KW heater element, and it was actually running for 24 hours solid, that would only cost you about £11 tops.

But I think it unlikely it would have been running all the time. It would be a bit dangerous not to have a thermostat in the tank, which will switch it off when the water gets hot. Then it's just a matter of the thermostat topping the heat back up for a short while every few hours, as the tank radiates heat and the water cools slightly.

Rather than the money, I'd be more concerned about having a hot water tank that can't turn itself off. Heating elements that are on all the time can burn out a lot sooner.