Options

Game Lock-ins - thoughts & impressions thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest..!) How excited are you for next gen.... now you have had some hands on?
  • Options
    jubalcjubalc Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Any further reviews from anyone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lakeside Argos has a PS4 demo unit if anyone is nearby and wants to try out the controller.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from a game lock-in for ps4.

Disappointed by the range of games available to play, but what I did play looked great, Knack looks amazing, beautifully lit, same goes for Contrast. Neither seems to be breaking any new ground in terms of gameplay, but I didn't get that long to play as I had my girlfriend with me, although Contrast's shadow-mechanic has a lot of potential and had me scratching my head just a couple of minutes in (a good thing).

Saw other people playing Fifa (which doesn't really interest me these days), and it looked, well, like fifa, but really sharp and crisp.

The controller though is absolutely lovely, first thing I heard when I walked in was someone saying "this is the perfect controller" and find it tough to disagree, not a massive sea-change from the ds3, just a really good evolution, if I had a criticism it's that the d-pad doesn't seem quote as good, but I didn't get to play with it properly so I could have the wrong impression there.

The unit itself seems lovely and small, will fit very nicely under the tv, and the camera, which I'm getting, is tiny and unobtrusive.

Didn't get to play around with menus or interfaces as it was a demo unit.

Generally not blown away, but didn't get to play any of the games I'm looking forward to most so to be expected really. Nothing I saw made me think I won't get it, and I'm still just as hyped for the 29th.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been to the Dundee event which seemed to be on from 6pm - 8pm as opposed to having different timings like some.

Turned up at 6pm to a massive queue must have been about 50-60 people there was told however 6 consoles and nobodys getting more than 5 minutes so should be a quick turnaround, after the 5 minutes you join the queue if you want or leave. After a 45 minute wait (People were not really getting 5 minutes were basically getting to play through one demo then end the game) finally got to play. Had a 1 vs 1 game of Fifa and quite enjoyed it, controllers going to take getting used to but then was hard to get a proper feel with them being connected to the console for security. But think there are a good improvement on the DS3. Fifa looked and felt good but think i'm going to wait until the final copy to see what i think never really saw a massive improvement on ps3 version apart from graphics but then maybe because i have not played the ps3 version in about a month then maybe thats why, guy there from Sony setting up said his friend is a massive fan of Fifa and says it's a huge improvement so will have to go back and try the ps3 version and see what i think.

Queued again but by this time there was only about 6 people left in the queue waited 10 minutes and then got on until basically got told they were now shutting up. Tried Knack which i liked fairly simple and very much like ratchet and clank, Knack when made smaller does seem a bit like clank as well. Not my type of game but definitely worth trying, Octodad i like but switched the demo off as the controls were just becoming so annoying, l2 to control left leg and r2 to control right leg. The controls are quite smart though i couldn't get a key in the cupboard but it was because i had to move forward a bit which worked but took me ages to work it out but shows how clever it is in a way.

Next i had a game of Fifa and was away to try out playroom which looked quite good but never got the chance. The PS4 camera is very small though somebody made a comment that it's about the size of a packet of chewits, which cannot be much off it. We did have a few consoles crash and just go to a black screen but was promised thats more the coding of the demos than the console. The demo on display is just a box under the unit is the real playstation apparently to stop them getting ruined.

Overall was a goodnight just cannot wait to get the console now, hopefully Shopto deliver sharp. Overheard somebody mentioning a 14day trial for playstation plus in the console unsure if this will be a freebie.

Apparently the ps4 event was more friendly the xbox event there was near riots people arguinging and fighting in the queue but the ps4 even much more quiet and laid back people willing to wait. There was discussion about the ps4 not playing audio though a lot of people were saying they dont use audio cd's anymore to be not much of a biggy, will never be able to play audio cd's though as no laser compatible with audio cd's only DVD and bluray. The talk then changed to xbox one and apparently the bluray player in the xbox one is not able to play 3d bluray which is very surprising.

Now for pictures - apologies they might not be the best but hopefully they at least show something.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2eouxqg.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/ad20x2.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/b89y79.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dlvlv9.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/mbol1t.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/t84xvl.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/24q3iah.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/sybcc0.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2i1nitv.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, I was wondering around Camberley High street this Saturday Lunch time... Costa in one hand. I walked into GAME just to have a look see..... THERE IN FULL GLORIOUS 1080p was the ps4 demo unit!!!!! A couple of local kids playing FIFA. Couldn't belive my luck!!!

I waited very impatiantly for my go while the kids in front (3 12 year old's) debated which console was better... ps3 or ps4. Was a funny listen esp the part where one kid (who was looseing) declared the console sh!t and stormed off....!!

Then it was my turn. The wait was worth it. The controller feels better in every way possible. Longer handles and slightly bigger body. It sat in my hands very nicely. HAPPY bunny that i chose ps4 over the xbox1. My Girlfiend didn't wanna play FiFa so we had a brief but fun time on KNACK. I only played for a couple of minutes as the que had built up and i didn't wanna ruin launch day suprises on the console. Can't wait now for the 29th midnight launch. Day off next day... Hells YEA!
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    So, I was wondering around Camberley High street this Saturday Lunch time... Costa in one hand. I walked into GAME just to have a look see..... THERE IN FULL GLORIOUS 1080p was the ps4 demo unit!!!!! A couple of local kids playing FIFA. Couldn't belive my luck!!!

I waited very impatiantly for my go while the kids in front (3 12 year old's) debated which console was better... ps3 or ps4. Was a funny listen esp the part where one kid (who was looseing) declared the console sh!t and stormed off....!!

Then it was my turn. The wait was worth it. The controller feels better in every way possible. Longer handles and slightly bigger body. It sat in my hands very nicely. HAPPY bunny that i chose ps4 over the xbox1. My Girlfiend didn't wanna play FiFa so we had a brief but fun time on KNACK. I only played for a couple of minutes as the que had built up and i didn't wanna ruin launch day suprises on the console. Can't wait now for the 29th midnight launch. Day off next day... Hells YEA!

I was at work in Carphone on Saturday (Camberley) and saw all the commotion in GAME. Their refit looked really good, didn't have time to play though - damn work lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was at work in Carphone on Saturday (Camberley) and saw all the commotion in GAME. Their refit looked really good, didn't have time to play though - damn work lol

Yea dam work..... try the ps4. I was blown away, the ds4 is the best controller i have held. I used to prefer 360 over the ds3!?

I read one review that said the ds4 was an improvment but the controller was still behind even the 360's controller. NOT SO!
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately the demo unit in my local game has the same showroom demo-mode running on the TV and the staff can't turn it off, it's annoying as all hell!

But at least you can play the PS4 demo-unit, which is more than I can say for the Xbone on the other side of the shop.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    That demo unit is not a Xbox One - it's merely a video player in a Xbone shell.

You could verify this by seeing if the power button is illuminated :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The x1 demo unit in Camberley is just a dud unit with no lights the tv above just replays game trailers. Oh and there is a load of leaflets just littered over the console/display. Looked tacky as hell. Even my unintrested GF commented on how different the two stands looked. The x1 just doesn't grab me at all. I'm sure i'll get one at some point as i like the shiney stuff and unboxing consoles. But at present the ps4 is really looking better. IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The x1 demo unit in Camberley is just a dud unit with no lights the tv above just replays game trailers. Oh and there is a load of leaflets just littered over the console/display. Looked tacky as hell. Even my unintrested GF commented on how different the two stands looked. The x1 just doesn't grab me at all. I'm sure i'll get one at some point as i like the shiney stuff and unboxing consoles. But at present the ps4 is really looking better. IMO.

One thing that did make me laugh is I went in there the other day, and all the staff were wearing Xbox merchandise:D The size difference between the consoles was bigger than I expected, the PS4 was so good looking.

One thing I will give GAME Camberley is they are the only store where out back (used to work for the company) they had a water fountain and a carpet lol:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing that did make me laugh is I went in there the other day, and all the staff were wearing Xbox merchandise:D The size difference between the consoles was bigger than I expected, the PS4 was so good looking.

One thing I will give GAME Camberley is they are the only store where out back (used to work for the company) they had a water fountain and a carpet lol:D

:D:D

I don't know about the back of the shop but the refurb looks pretty cool. The only thing is now i keep walking past in the vein hope the ps4 is free!?!?!? ;)

The darn thing is awesome!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D:D

I don't know about the back of the shop but the refurb looks pretty cool. The only thing is now i keep walking past in the vein hope the ps4 is free!?!?!? ;)

The darn thing is awesome!!

I'll ask them if I can have it next time I pop in;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll ask them if I can have it next time I pop in;)

Not FAIR!!!!:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not FAIR!!!!:cry:

We can share it:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We can share it:D

Awesome... but don't expect me to play fair... once i get my game eyes in.... grrrrr. OPs sorry, coming dear!!

:cool: