Sky Q Teething problems

Comments

• Music Lover OneMusic Lover One Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    We had Sky Q installed yesterday so it's early days for us, so far so good, I expect I will be on here very soon with some problems.
    Forum Member
    I spoke too soon ....... here we are with a problem.

The main tv keeps going off and coming back on about every ten minutes and it says 'out of range' , it's really beginning to annoy us. Any ideas why this is happening please?

I don't have any problems with the mini upstairs. The mini is switched off now by the plug and the main tv is still doing it.
    Forum Member
    Regarding the problem we had above, we have solved it now. We turned the tv off and on again at the main plug and that seemed to solve it. Were happy bunnies again. :)
  • Randomguy1Randomguy1 Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the problem we had above, we have solved it now. We turned the tv off and on again at the main plug and that seemed to solve it. Were happy bunnies again. :)

That seems to resolve the problems I've had it wouldn't load the EPG data on the mini box it happened twice and each time a reset fixed it. That's the only problem so far. Loving it otherwise :)
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why but my app won't connect. Click on the programme I want and it just says preparing. I restart tablet but still doesn't come on. Was working earlier.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Don't know why but my app won't connect. Click on the programme I want and it just says preparing. I restart tablet but still doesn't come on. Was working earlier.

Have you tried rebooting the SkyQ box (assuming you mean you are trying to access something from the box on your tablet)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried rebooting the SkyQ box (assuming you mean you are trying to access something from the box on your tablet)?

I was trying to watch something on my tablet. Clicked on the tv guide located the channel and clicked on the programme but it just says preparing. Everything else seems ok on the box. Tried rebooting router but that didn't fix it. Tried app today and it still does same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was trying to watch something on my tablet. Clicked on the tv guide located the channel and clicked on the programme but it just says preparing. Everything else seems ok on the box. Tried rebooting router but that didn't fix it. Tried app today and it still does same.

Have you tried rebooting the SkyQ box though, as that is where the program presumably comes from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried rebooting the SkyQ box though, as that is where the program presumably comes from?

No I've not tried rebooting box. I've looked in the settings. Under status there are 4 ticks. If there was a problem surely it would show up there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I've not tried rebooting box. I've looked in the settings. Under status there are 4 ticks. If there was a problem surely it would show up there?

In life, sometimes you have to reboot things, even if everything says it is fine, this is the third and final time i will suggest it though, it is up to you from there.

It might not fix it, but it is always one of the first things i try, reboot everything involved.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke too soon ....... here we are with a problem.

The main tv keeps going off and coming back on about every ten minutes and it says 'out of range' , it's really beginning to annoy us. Any ideas why this is happening please?

I don't have any problems with the mini upstairs. The mini is switched off now by the plug and the main tv is still doing it.

it may require the mini to be switched on to function correctly.
    if it was networked that way. does it still do it when the mini is in standby?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

who's your broadband with?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    who's your broadband with?

Virgin. I did the reboot and its working now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin. I did the reboot and its working now.

is it a super hub 3, 4 or 5? If so Ethernet the hub to the Silver box and all should be good if possible. Super hubs are pretty much the most problematic hubs out there. along with the BT hub 4 and 5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    is it a super hub 3, 4 or 5? If so Ethernet the hub to the Silver box and all should be good if possible. Super hubs are pretty much the most problematic hubs out there. along with the BT hub 4 and 5

Mine is super hub 1. Apparently it's the worst one available. Gone off again. It says to enjoy this service, you need an active WiFi connection which I have. I can still use tablet for internet. I've got Ethernet cable plugged in to box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what going on with 5 on catch up. No programmes to download today and only one available from yesterday.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Mine is super hub 1. Apparently it's the worst one available. Gone off again. It says to enjoy this service, you need an active WiFi connection which I have. I can still use tablet for internet. I've got Ethernet cable plugged in to box.

Wifi on the original superhub was notoriously hopeless. Ask them for a SH3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vertigo1 wrote: »
    Wifi on the original superhub was notoriously hopeless. Ask them for a SH3.

Asked before but can only get newer one if I upgrade.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have set the pre watershed pin to off but it's still asking me for a pin pre watershed. The sky personage advised that this was now a legal requirement which is bollox as my HD box didn't require a pin prior to pre watershed playback. If this was the case why have the facility to set it to off as an option.

Anyone any ideas please? Very annoying
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornchips wrote: »
    I have set the pre watershed pin to off but it's still asking me for a pin pre watershed. The sky personage advised that this was now a legal requirement which is bollox as my HD box didn't require a pin prior to pre watershed playback. If this was the case why have the facility to set it to off as an option.

It is only a legal requirement for pre-watershed (over the air) programming, not for On Demand content.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    It is only a legal requirement for pre-watershed (over the air) programming, not for On Demand content.

Thanks. It's asking me for a PIN to playback downloaded from on demand so that isn't a legal requirement from what you are saying?

It's pointless having an option to turn off pre watershed PIN if I'm going to be asked every time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornchips wrote: »

My HD box sometimes does, so it is not a new thing.

I think it is either an incorrect flag set, or maybe because i downloaded it pre watershed, so treated it the same as a live channel pre watershed.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have two threads with the same title- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2150077

Mods could we please have a merger?
  • PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had my Sky Q for just over a week. I've got the Sky Q silver and 2 minis on BT Infinity broadband. So far:

I like both styles of remote that come with it. We use the pad remote to control a mini that is hidden behind a wall mounted TV so no wires. I use a harmony remote for the silver box and it's been great.

After a couple of days, I've used Ethernet for all three boxes rather than wifi. It just kept dropping in and out and minis were saying that they couldn't see silver box. Seems better over Ethernet but still occasional issue.

I like the new menu system but I have found that we've recorded some rather random programmes accidently. Either that or the Mrs is watching Love Island secretly. She swears not...:p

I love the fact that it's the same planner no matter where you watch and apparently personalised planners are coming in a future update.

All in all, we're pleased so far.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    Under settings\network connectivity\more info

Mine shows strength at 50
    Quality at 90

No idea if this is good or bad??

Mine is too, it never changes, it looks like this is a set level at installation.

The hand controller is ergonomically poor, with the Sky + controller it was easy to hold in one hand and key in channels with my thumb, but with the number buttons at the bottom and the shape and no natural grip of controller I find this difficult to do.

The Bluetooth one I find that pressing pause will do this for a second or two and then resumes playing when releasing finger, it appears far too sensitive and sometimes takes several attempts to do this. Out of the two I much prefer the non-bluetooth one though even that leaves much to be desired.