Options

Mum opening my mail

13»

Comments

• Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Hey, why not read the rest of the thread before replying, people of page 2?

OP said that HIS mum opened it automatically without thinking and then realised and put it straight back. Its all sorted. She didnt know it was medical until it was too late.

Storm, meet teacup.

OP, glad its all sorted.

Yes MadameLaMinx, I'm a bit surprised this thread is still going - and with a few more rude responses thrown in for good measure. Some people on DS just love to show how superior they are to others, but I'm glad that there were also a few happy to give some sound advice. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly trolling advice is now a pastime for a large number of people who have sad, empty lives and want to feel superior by baiting people when they are a low ebb. I think it puts a lot of people off seeking advice. :(

I see it all the time. I'm sure it doesn't just put me off. If people aren't going to give genuine, constructive advice then why bother. Sadly I've had to a put a few posters on 'ignore' because of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moral of the story - before starting a thread about your mother opening your mail, speak to your mother about her opening your mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moral of the story - before starting a thread about your mother opening your mail, speak to your mother about her opening your mail.

Sounds about right. :D:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    The same thing would happen with my son - he kept various bills and bank statement coming to my house when he was at uni.

Normal monthly statements etc I would store or forward to him. Anything out of the ordinary, I would assume to be urgent. Invariably I would phone him and he would ask me to open it and see. There were occasions when he couldn't be reached by phone - and I opened letters telling him he was overdrawn or that rent cheques has been returned with insufficient funds.

In both cases I topped up his account - oddly he never complained.

You might try a similar system with your own mother - I doubt she wants to pry - neither does she want mail that might need an urgent response sitting unopened for a term.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    This. Sorry Agent. Her house.

(And it's post. Unless sent from abroad, 'mail' used as a noun is an americanism :p)
    Her house, but his post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    I used to get some mail sent to my mum's and she opened it.

I wish she would ask first - it really annoys me:mad:
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that is pretty bad to be honest. If something looks urgent she could have just called you and told you there was a letter waiting that looks important - not just go and open it herself.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it's all sorted now, Agent F. I wouldn't recommend having your letters delivered to a uni campus, though, even if you can trust your flatmates, because it has to go through so many different people before it reaches your flat.

And if it's a private flat, off the campus, I still wouldn't recommend having any more than the bare minimum delivered there because it'll be a hassle to get it all redirected at the end of the academic year.

If you ever have any more problems at home, which you probably won't, a PO Box is a good, if rather costly, idea. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad it's all sorted now, Agent F. I wouldn't recommend having your letters delivered to a uni campus, though, even if you can trust your flatmates, because it has to go through so many different people before it reaches your flat.

And if it's a private flat, off the campus, I still wouldn't recommend having any more than the bare minimum delivered there because it'll be a hassle to get it all redirected at the end of the academic year.

If you ever have any more problems at home, which you probably won't, a PO Box is a good, if rather costly, idea. :)

Thanks Pizza. Yes that is my feeling too - at campus the post is going through quite a few people before it reaches my postbox and even then someone else can encounter it before I do - and I'd sooner trust my family over people who, despite being nice, I've only really known for a few months. Not enough time to establish any kind of 'trust' IMO.

And as you point out it also means getting mail redirected again at the end of each academic year.

It has been resolved anyway - I was a bit surprised to see this thread pop up again actually. :D
  • Options
    labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two kids away at University - I just put their post in their bedrooms until they come home. If it looks official or important I'll ring them and ask them if they want it forwarding or opening. They are entitled to their privacy. I don't like anyone opening anything that's been addressed to me so I wouldn't open anyone else's mail however curious I might be.

My Mum used to do this while I was at uni too. Anything that looked important she would ring up and only then would she open it and read it to me.

There was one *kind of* innocent incident where my Mum did open my post while I was at uni, it was from the NS&I. At the time she told me that she had opened it by accident. I was a bit annoyed at the time but as it happened it was a £25 cheque from some premium bonds (score :D ) I had only recently invested and I soon forgot. A couple of months later I turned 21 and my present was a nice sum of money from some Childrens Bonds with the NS&I. My mum then admitted that she had opened the letter because she thought it was a letter about the bonds and she wanted it to be a surprise! She had been intercepting those letters for 21 years with great success as I had no idea about these bonds! Still, she was honest with me and I appreciated that greatly.

I'm back home now and my parents are really good with privacy and we don't have any issues. I'm glad its all been sorted out OP :)