Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Expert saying anything from a fine to 15 years(unlikely) plus he could still get up to 5 years each for the shooting offences( also unlikely)
    I'd expect a couple of years at least.

I ( and a few others) have been saying CH from the start and got all sorts of abuse from some FMs. I ended up avoiding this thread as the guilty of murder mob were coming out with ridiculous arguments.

This is why I have avoided this thread as well. With some exceptions, as I said before, it was decided, before any evidence whatsoever being presented, that he was guilty of murder and were unable/unwilling to take on board that that people (rightly or wrongly) do not act in the way they think they should act. Humans, when panicking, frightened or under pressure, do not always react in a calm, rational manner just as witnesses, however honest and competent, can be mistaken especially when an 'event' lasts for only a few seconds. Think the judge has done a good job in attempting to untangle a mass of conflicting witness evidence (from both sides) and conflicting and sometimes inconclusive forensic evidence.
  • IamtiredmiladyIamtiredmilady Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    CH negligence is still a possibility, no minimum sentence required...but a custodial sentence is required for CH . eNCA is stating.

I'm not sure a custodial sentence is required. On Sky they've been talking about all possibilities and definitely said custodial wouldn't be automatic.

We're sitting here in shock. I've never heard a verdict where all of the evidence except the accused's version has been wiped out.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Has he got off with it?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caro07 wrote: »
    Yeah, she seems to have taken his version at face value, as she has for evidence that supports his version.

E.g. She said that the fact that he appeared to be very upset shortly after the killing means that he couldn't have possibly intended to kill her. But is extremely likely that if he had killed her in anger, he would also have been distraught shortly afterwards when his anger was replaced by other emotions.

An objective view would be that being distraught was not proof either way and should have been discounted, but she only seemed to do that to DT evidence.

There were some other similar pieces too.
    I think she has taken a far too simplistic view on a lot of the evidence, particularly the fact he was so upset made it hard to believe he had meant to kill. That is just false. Many may kill in the heat of an argument but then regret things. Sorry but I have to look at Judge Masipa's relatively light experience as a lawyer here, and wonder at her competency.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears her summation is very subjective on witness testimony but no so on OP's testimony.
    i am so grateful for the jury system in the UK!
  • porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't accept Dr Stipp's evidence about the gun shots but did accept his view of OP's 'remorse'.

Stipp couldn't tell the difference between gun and bat. He made a mistake about when he saw a figure in the window and he described lights that were not on. You would not mistake seeing OP face to face.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolus is gone, though, isn't it? Both directus and eventualis. So there is no murder conviction possible.

I was replying to the comment at the point it was made, I've got behind a bit but just making the point that the possible outcomes are being addressed one at a time :)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    She didn't accept Dr Stipp's evidence about the gun shots but did accept his view of OP's 'remorse'.

I found that unbelievable >:(
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Twitter :

"OP & family all left court leaving brother Carl in his wheelchair in court."

This seems a bit mean of them if he can't wheel himself out ! :):p
  • Eliza_MacleanEliza_Maclean Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh, I said a while ago that, while I believed it was murder with intent and that enough had been said to prove this, I feared the court would go for culpable homicide because it was the safest conclusion. I hate that I was right because this is not justice for Reeva and so much evidence has been overlooked. M'lady is being contradictory. She has basically said Oscar was a poor witness and then gone ahead and based her findings on his word only.

Exactly, Chach. Agreed again.
  • ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Just because I haven't been contributing to this thread from the beginning, certainly does not mean that any opinion I do have does not have credence.

your opinion counts as much as anyone else's.

don't let anyone put you off posting - this thread is free for all
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Kitty_C wrote: »
    She has accepted that OP lied and was a terrible witness; nevertheless she builds her whole argument on the premise that his cooked up story is true. Plus she misinterpreted his reaction of remorse after the murder.

He came out with his version straight after the incident and the fact that there was no evidence to definitively dispute his version means he was either telling the truth or was extremely lucky.
    That along his distress is why the judge correctly dismisses premeditated murder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I hope the state appeals.
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :( Massive hugs to you. I dread to think what your country is going to be like after today :(

The judge has failed Reeva and all women in SA. Shame on her.

I agree, my sympathies and best wishes go to all females in SA.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    When I get woken up by a noise in my bed the FIRST thing I do is check whether my partner is in bed. If he is THEN I will get worried. If he isn't, then I know it will be him. Also if they ARE in bed and I hear a noise I will psychically wake him up and make sure he is awake.

Not rocket science. Not even brain surgery. Just common normal human behaviour.

So an intruder is in the house and he never bothered to reach over and wake her and make sure she was away from the room/ door before firing man killer bullets into the door?

*shakes head*

I make sure it's not my cat making noise. Though often it is him just getting more comfy or knocking something over to get more comfy. My first reaction is not to arm myself and assume.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    When I get woken up by a noise in my bed the FIRST thing I do is check whether my partner is in bed. If he is THEN I will get worried. If he isn't, then I know it will be him. Also if they ARE in bed and I hear a noise I will psychically wake him up and make sure he is awake.

Not rocket science. Not even brain surgery. Just common normal human behaviour.

So an intruder is in the house and he never bothered to reach over and wake her and make sure she was away from the room/ door before firing man killer bullets into the door?

*shakes head*

That is what you would do, that's the point.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Has he got off with it?

Yes.

As I said weeks ago.

It was obvious.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning All! I'm just joining the party/funeral and see we are at lunch. What time does it restart? Premed Murder is out, is Murder out too? TIA

Yep no murder charge. The next one they are looking at is culpable homicide basically a manslaughter charge. Could get 7-10 years for that. After that, no idea, Accidental death or something. Seems a lot of the state's evidence has been discounted, and the judge is simply just going by legal definitions to look for what verdict fits best. I get the feeling he may just get away with this.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother with a trial at all if witnesses are all unreliable.? Just ask the accused to tell his version. Then decide.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Has he got off with it?

Murder yes. Still CH to come and could walk free if found guilty of that.
  • ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member

this has been pathetic so far
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I hope the state appeals.

It won't. They shot too high and missed.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She keeps referring to the firing of the gun as a 'shot'. It was 4 shots....so so key to the verdict.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jos wrote: »
    I agree, my sympathies and best wishes go to all females in SA.

And this verdict is sending out a very depressing message indeed. :(
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    porky42 wrote: »
    It certainly has been an interesting journey!

It feels like it's been going on for years!
This discussion has been closed.