Options

Iman - Mrs Obama is no great beauty

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now she's saying she felt 'ostracised'

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a156292/iman-felt-ostracised-as-black-supermodel.html

So many quotes in one day - does she have something to promote?

it's from an interview with Parade Magazine

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2009/05/iman-you-get-better-with-age.html
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    agreed. she is not a stunning beauty. she is an average working mother with great style. which makes her special-women can relate to her.

Indeed, her looking average but making the best of what she's got helps her have mass appeal.
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OATZ MM wrote: »

Even know I think Michelle is a great first lady and is not ugly she is probably right. Then again she is probably the best looking first lady since Jackie Kennedy, now she was a real beauty.

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Jacqueline_Kennedy/images/2.L.jpg
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Michelle Obama is less than average looking. I'm sure she has a good personality and I'm not playing the b***h card, but I think she is has quite unattractive features.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iman is right that MO is no great beauty, but she has an incredible character; exuding strength and warmth, which make her intellectually beautiful.

I think Iman was probably asked for her opinion, and didn't just blurt out these comments randomly. I also think these are just snippets organised in a way to make the quotes sound more 'controversial' than they really are, such is the way of the media :) .

Absolutely, on all counts. :cool:
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I bet David Bowie fancies MO and that is the reason for the bitchy comment.

MO has never put herself up for anything other than what she is, herself, good for her.

I dont think so,shes hardly Bowies type,hes always liked Slim,adrogynous women for obvious reasons.:rolleyes:
    MO seems like a nice woman but Imans right,she isnt a great beauty.MO looks a bit like a younger Oprah.
    Iman on the other hand is beautiful,imho.
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    ohirome wrote: »
    Iman is stunning. If you disagree you are quite clearly blind.

absolutely, in The Crying game, kind a way.. lol lol lol
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually looking at the pic of Iman in that article she looks a bit raddled now..BUT she was beautiful when she was young,a definite type though.
    she actually says nice things about MO, i think she was probably taken out of context.
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    absolutely, in The Crying game, kind a way.. lol lol lol

Absolutely. Iman looks more like A man. LOL. Seriously though talk about giraffe neck. Or should that be brass neck. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Did Mrs. Obama ever say that she was a great beauty?:rolleyes:

While we're at it, Iman's no beauty herself IMO.:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Mrs. Obama ever say that she was a great beauty?:rolleyes:

While we're at it, Iman's no beauty herself IMO.:yawn:

I'd never heard of this Iman person until now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    Actually looking at the pic of Iman in that article she looks a bit raddled now..BUT she was beautiful when she was young,a definite type though.
    she actually says nice things about MO, i think she was probably taken out of context.

Why are the opinions of a supermodel even relevant? Unlike her Ms. Obama has more than mere beauty to offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    INHO Iman is no great beauty either, if it wasn't for plastic surgeons she would actually look like a 54 year old instead of someone in their late 30's, early 40's.

Do you have some proof about the Surgeons? Usually Black people don't have plastic surgery because of the high level of scarring that occurs afterwards. Sort of defeats the object of the exercise. If you are a very high colour (very light skinned), which Iman is not - you could possibly get away with plastic surgery.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad1 wrote: »
    Do you have some proof about the Surgeons? Usually Black people don't have plastic surgery because of the high level of scarring that occurs afterwards. Sort of defeats the object of the exercise. If you are a very high colour (very light skinned), which Iman is not - you could possibly get away with plastic surgery.

I think the only surgery she has had was a boob job in 1988 - as for people implying she looks like a man get your eyes tested she's a stunning looking woman

http://imancosmetics.com/aboutiman/photogallery2.php
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad1 wrote: »

Even then, it's iffy. Very light-skinned black people still keloid, (a classmate of mine had them from getting her ears pierced. She was damned near white and had red hair.)

There are specialized surgeons that deal with cosmetic surgery for black people and I'm sure she would have access, but she doesn't look as if she has had it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and because you may find someone stunning, and I may not does mean I should ''get my eyes tested''. To those that find Iman so attractive accept the fact not all peope agree with you or see your point of view and get some empathy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Iman that Mrs Obama is no great beauty but that's just my opinion. As someone else has quite rightly said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some may therefore think that it's Mrs O who is the more attractive of the two.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    As with the case of some very ugly men, in some cases it is the power which attracts others to fall for them.

MO has a status which Iman could never achieve which leaves her with just looks and style while MO is walking the corridors of power alongside her husband.

That turns some people on as much as good looks and sexiness.

Some people fancied Margaret Thatcher when she was PM and I do think David Bowie might have a penchant for MO because of her status.

Looks seem to have little to do with it.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Why should looks be an important factor for a successful woman in her position anyway??

So why does Imam feel the need to comment on her looks?

Oh, yes, of course - headline grabbing. Is she sliding too far out of public view and trying to revive her career?
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I don't see what on earth 'looks' have got to do with being wife of the President? A bizaree comment from Iman.

I met Iman in the flesh 10 years ago and she is truly stunning - very tiny and fine boned with dark skin, I didn't particularly thing she looked like she'd had surgery but that was a long time ago now.
  • Options
    Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    INHO Iman is no great beauty either, if it wasn't for plastic surgeons she would actually look like a 54 year old instead of someone in their late 30's, early 40's.

Iman just got lucky. There are thousands of very similar looking women living in London; she's just average looking for women of her origin.
  • Options
    SiebenburgenSiebenburgen Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guccinara wrote: »
    MO is not a stunner in the looks department, but she is stylish, intelligent, and makes the best of what she has.

she is a thinking mans crumpet.

No. Gillian Anderson is the thinking mans crumpet.

Michelle Obama is not even close.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Jeanie wrote: »
    WTF??? :confused:

Why on earth is it up to Iman to comment on the president's wife appearance?

Michelle Obama is not setting herself up as a supermodel/actress/singer - she's "simply" the First Lady and as such, she's an attractive, well dressed, classy woman.

She's not in competition with a skinny, ageing former supermodel - so why Iman found it necessary to make some quite frankly rather disparaging remarks is a bit off IMHO.

Sounds to me as though Iman purely judges everyone on their looks. Shallow. :(

As a former super super model I expect she is quite often asked to comment on matters of beauty, fashion and perception there of.

IMO she is quite right in what she said and I imagine this is a headline taken out of a longer interview and personally I don't think it was a dig at all from Iman

I may be slightly biased though as I do think that Iman is easily one of the most uniquely stunning, most beautiful women in the world
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NikkiClo wrote: »
    She has a really odd looking long neck which always freaked me out, she is not all that..such a bitchy thing to say about Michelle Obama, why comment on her looks at all?

These models have huge egos and are obsessed with their looks so they think everyone else is

And what Iman said was bitchy!! :confused::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rikki65 wrote: »
    Iman just got lucky. There are thousands of very similar looking women living in London; she's just average looking for women of her origin.

Erm really?? In all my years of being in and around London I haven't seen even one of these 1000's of lookelikey's..

Uniquely stunning as I said before.. imo of course