Clockwise

WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
Forum Member
Anyone watching this film!? I've never seen it before, its hilarious!

Good old John Cleese - loved it when he fell over backwards after kicking the car! :D:D

May just have to order it off amazon! :D

Comments

• richbunrichbun Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    This has been on about 4 times in the last year alone, I'd save your money as it is a regular film!
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own, never thought it was THAT good and to confirm it is on very regularly.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it was on Channel 4 just two or three months ago - seem to remember it being teatime, probably Saturday. Now it's turned up on ITV it could get another showing on ITV 2 or 3 within a few weeks.
  • stevebrownstevebrown Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It started off being shown on BBC1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked this fim - it doesn't have a great ending, but does have some very good scenes and some fine bit-part performances.

I splashed out on the DVD - only a fiver and you get it in its full wide-screen spendour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe that this film is now 20 years old.

I can even remember its Network Premiere on BBC1 in around 1988, I taped it and I think I still have that video somewhere!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1996PK wrote:
    I can't believe that this film is now 20 years old.

I can even remember its Network Premiere on BBC1 in around 1988, I taped it and I think I still have that video somewhere!
    Wasn't it premiered on Christmas Day or Boxing Day that year? I too recorded it and probably still have the tape in the garage somewhere. Now I've got the DVD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was on Boxing Day.

I also taped Back to the Future that year, as it was premiered on BBC1 Xmas Day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Me too. Is there anyone who didn't record this film on Boxing Day 1988?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE WOLF wrote:

Blimey, I didn't expect anyone else on here to even remember its first showing!
  • MurkMurk Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THE WOLF wrote:

Me because I was only 2 :)

I forgot to watch this film because I think John is a great actor and priceless in Fawlty Towers
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE WOLF wrote:

Me . I watched it the previous month on video, though I didnt pay. wow what a memory for trivia :rolleyes: .

Anyway the film , it is funny except for the boring last 20 mins,
    and some of the support cast were rubbish i.e. that girl ,ever seen her in anything since?

I'd rather watch Cleese in this than say in Fawlty or Wanda
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More trivia lol...

The teacher John Jolly, actor Stephen Moore has been in many things, notably Kevin's dad as in Harry Enfield's Kerry & Perry.
    The confused old lady, Mrs. Trellis played by the late Joan Hickson (Miss Marple)
    The ticket collector, John Bardon aka Jim Branning in Eastenders

there are others, but I'll stop there!! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mb@2day wrote:
    Me . I watched it the previous month on video, though I didnt pay. wow what a memory for trivia :rolleyes: .

Anyway the film , it is funny except for the boring last 20 mins,
    and some of the support cast were rubbish i.e. that girl ,ever seen her in anything since?

I'd rather watch Cleese in this than say in Fawlty or Wanda
    I have a distant memory that I went to see it at the cinema as a 12 year old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly, I too have a very old video copy of this, which was probably the premiere recalled by so many others! But I actually remember going to the late night press showing of this film the week before it was first on at the local cinema, along with some radio colleagues. It was one of the very few times I did this. I think we even got a free drink at the bar from the manager!

Stephen Moore is, of-course, also well known as the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in Hitch-Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I watched it for the second time last night.

First time I watched, I thought it was great. Watching it again last night, I thought it was quite funny though nothing amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy who played one of the police officers when arresting the woman for assualt...He was in Eastenders as Mel's Dad (cant remember his name!)

The guy who played Kevin's Dad in the Harry Enfield TV series didnt actually play him in the film, anybody know why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevebrown wrote:
    I have a distant memory that I went to see it at the cinema as a 12 year old.

I saw it in the cinema too, when I was 10. Can't remember why as we never normally went to see films when I was a kid

Never been able to work out where his school was - there can't be many stations that have trains going to both Plymouth and Norwich!

It's very much a film of its time - these days he wouldn't have to stop and wrestle with payphones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it in the cinema too, when I was 10. Can't remember why as we never normally went to see films when I was a kid

Never been able to work out where his school was - there can't be many stations that have trains going to both Plymouth and Norwich!

Well, it was 163 miles away from Norwich via Northampton! My guess is in berkshire or oxfordshire.

I really must get out more...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a resident of Norwich I feel I should point out that, as far as I can make out, none of the film was shot on location in the area, and of-course there is no such establishment as the University of Norwich although the University of East Anglia is based here. I also had that thought about the railway station with trains to both Norwich and Plymouth!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote:
    As a resident of Norwich I feel I should point out that, as far as I can make out, none of the film was shot on location in the area, and of-course there is no such establishment as the University of Norwich although the University of East Anglia is based here. I also had that thought about the railway station with trains to both Norwich and Plymouth!

There is a Norwich University though isn't there.

Apparently both the school and the university were schools in the Birmingham area
  • Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive seen this film loads of times! Its not brilliant but its watchable and passes the time. It was on C4 a few months ago on a Saturday afternoon, it was also on Sky Movies I think as well ( or it may have been film four).
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching it the first time the BBC showed it as a Christmas movie & like what others here have said it's been on many times after that.The movie is ok i watched about an hour of it last night.I have to say i like the scene when he finds out that he is in the wrong train & then tries to get the man to pass his speech out of the window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote:
    I remember watching it the first time the BBC showed it as a Christmas movie & like what others here have said it's been on many times after that.The movie is ok i watched about an hour of it last night.I have to say i like the scene when he finds out that he is in the wrong train & then tries to get the man to pass his speech out of the window.

My favourite scene is with the phone boxes.

"Put your money in the box caller"

"I have put my money in the box. Its eaten the money, I haven't got any more money!"

Before bashing the handset repeatedly...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot wrote:
    Stephen Moore is, of-course, also well known as the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in Hitch-Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy.
    He also played the harrassed father of Harmony and Melody in The Queen's Nose :o