Options

Dentist help

fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to getting work done on my teeth, but my filling fell out a couple of weeks ago so I went to get it sorted.

Unfortunately, the dentist said I needed a tooth x-ray and got this great yellow thing that he started trying to shove down my throat, which made me gag. Like a true pathetic fool, I said that I couldn't have the x-ray done and he put a temporary filling in, and referred me to the hospital for full mouth x-rays?

However, now the tooth is giving me SO much pain (I have never been in worse pain, including childbirth) that I've booked another appointment, specifically worried in case it's an abscess. Can anyone tell me more about the yellow stick, and any ways I can try and not throw up from it? I'm sure once I get past the x-ray then I can let him do the work.

Comments

• Options
    raidon04raidon04 Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is becoming too painful it maybe due to exposure of the nerve, in which case a root canal would be carried out or an extraction. I would book an appointment for an emergency appointment, either at your local or at a walk-in clinic
  • Options
    CilonenCilonen Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    The "stick" is a holder for the x-ray film, which keeps it in the appropriate position to view the whole tooth (roots included) in the case of the yellow one. Blue is for front teeth, and red/green for viewing just the crowns (visible parts) of the upper & lower teeth together. This applies to the most common range of film holders - some brands have differing colour schemes!

You can offer to try to hold the x-ray film in place with your finger, BUT
    a) the dentist must place it in position
    b) there is an increased chance of missing part of the tooth in the image, which means repeating it
    c) you may still gag on it

Try to relax - both mentally and your mouth muscles, and breath through your nose. The x-ray can be done in just a few seconds, but you need to be still while it's done.

If the nerve is affected, your options would be root canal (which will involve at least 2 further x-rays) or extraction of the tooth. Extraction will not be done without an x-ray to show the shape of the roots.

This is my professional opinion based solely upon the information provided by the OP and my training and qualifications as a general dental practitioner. This should not be considered a definitive diagnosis, and you should arrange a formal examination & assessment with your regular dentist.