Options

lily allen who is buying this rubbish

sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I liked her early singles such as LDN & alfie but I'm curious as to why her awful cover of somewhere only we know & air balloon have sold so well is the standards in the charts so poor I also don't believe clean bandit should have been number one either.

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Air Balloon is truly awful
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im a big lilly allen fan. Seen her numerous times, but have to say..... Air Baloon is extremely awful awful AWFUL!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Air Balloon is truly awful

Yes. And for somebody with such a vocal opinion on things, it makes it especially embarrassing. After this shower she certainly has no room to criticise anybody elses music going forward that is for sure. Hard Out Here was slightly better, but it was completely unsuitable for radio.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I liked her early singles such as LDN & alfie but I'm curious as to why her awful cover of somewhere only we know & air balloon have sold so well is the standards in the charts so poor I also don't believe clean bandit should have been number one either.

Its being pushed a lot by Radio 1??
    Can be the only explanation
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hard Out Here' is great though. Would easily fit in on 'It's Not Me, It's You'
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I LOVE all four of the cuts we have heard from sheezus.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like Air Balloon and Hard Out Here. Haven't heard the new one yet and Somewhere Only We Know only sold well because it was used in the John Lewis advert at Christmas. In fact I think it was released specially for that advert, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goosebee wrote: »
    I LOVE all four of the cuts we have heard from sheezus.

Same

But considering it's been 6 years since her last album, there is zero development in her sound and lyrics. From what i keep reading, people are bored of it now.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it's not just me...
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I have her first two albums and I still listen to them (the second more than the first) but I haven't liked anything that she's released in the last year. I probably won't be buying the new album.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has quite a large demographic and it'll be the people that don't think it's rubbish
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Air Balloon was terrible, awful lyrics and video. I liked Hard Out There at the time but ive got bored of it already and the new one sounds very paint by numbers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her first album but nothing since then and her most recent output is particularly terrible. I can't believe she's continuing to sell so well.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I like Air Balloon and Hard Out Here.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Air Balloon but only because it's so god damn annoying I feel like it's forcing me to sing along.

The songs you hate that drill themselves into your ears are the worst ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her first album but nothing since then and her most recent output is particularly terrible. I can't believe she's continuing to sell so well.

I don't think she is to be honest. Hard out here had a very short chart run and Air Balloon is dropping fast as well. That isn't selling well. The only hit she has managed was an awful interpretation of someone else's song, but then that was only for christmas, not intending to be a song to launch a new album.

None of her new songs are making the impression that both Smile, The Fear and Not fair have made. All three of them manage to sell about 300k/400k each. Perhaps higher.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's now claiming she only made £8k from the John Lewis Xmas single. A couple of points spring to mind:

1) If that vocal took more than one day to record, I'll be astounded. Very, very generic Lily Allen with no hint of artistic experimentation. £8k for a day's work ain't bad. But...

2) It's a John Lewis Christmas advert. If she truly, truly earned 'only' £8k for her performance then her manager needs shooting. I'm not saying she deserves it or not, but market rates would surely give her at least ten times that much?

Not buying it. More rubbish from a disastrously fading star...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she never wrote the song so i doubt she would make a lot of money and she knows Royalties take a few years to be processed she likely hasn't been paid a lot for it at the moment. I remember reading in 2008 she had only recently got paid for her debut album, despite being released 2 years prior. She admitted herself in the same interview she knows she won't make a lot of money from her songs and does touring to pay the bills.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she never wrote the song so i doubt she would make a lot of money and she knows Royalties take a few years to be processed she likely hasn't been paid a lot for it at the moment. I remember reading in 2008 she had only recently got paid for her debut album, despite being released 2 years prior. She admitted herself in the same interview she knows she won't make a lot of money from her songs and does touring to pay the bills.

Most artists do now tour to make money thanks to iTunes and Spotify etc, agreed. However, if John Lewis employ you to front their Christmas campaign then seriously, it's 'quids in' time. If JL only wanted to pay a couple of grand they would have used a Boyzone backing singer or something...
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean "Did I ever tell you my uncle's monkey ran away from the zoo" isn't expert songwriting?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't touch music with a 10ft barge poll.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely thought it was a joke song when I first heard it. I then heard Hard Out Here after I heard this, and it was better than I was expecting. But Air Balloon is terrible.