Options

tablet as camera

jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im not into watching TV, games or e books but I like the idea of using a tablet device as a movie camera and watching the films on the bigger screen of a a tablet, what are the best options?

Comments

• Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    Im not into watching TV, games or e books but I like the idea of using a tablet device as a movie camera and watching the films on the bigger screen of a a tablet, what are the best options?

Can you be more specific? Are you looking to make and edit movies on a tablet? If so what size tablet?

Tablet cameras are still lagging behind ones in phones as a rule, have you thought about a large screen phone instead?
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes tablet cameras tend to be a few generations behind those in phones for the simple reason that fewer consumers are likely to use a tablet as their primary camera so the manufacturers can get away with fitting a cheaper camera unit.

However it should be remembered that even a 5mp cam will capture HD video so that covers pretty much everything on the market these days. What does separate the cameras is the sensor size - they tend to be smaller on tablets to make 'em cheaper. Smaller sensors = lower light gathering ability, so where I might be able to shoot indoors with an iPhone 6, I won't get the same results with an iPad mini. (Also iPads have no flash - most phone cams can use the flash as a fill in light for low light situations).

Check the availability of Apps for movie making beyond simple trimming - iMovie on iOS for example, Android is bound to have something so do some research before taking the plunge.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and pro tip for iPad movie makers - double tap the screen to change the viewfinder (i.e. the screen) to 16:9 ratio. It continually irritates me that the default is 4:3, the ratio of the screen, not the movie you're shooting. Also, double tap to swap between 4:3 & 16:9 during playback.