Options

Treasure Hunt - 1st episode repeat

jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
Forum Member
✭✭
Watching this on Challenge at the moment - exactly 31 years to the day that it was first broadcast. Oh how it has dated!

Shows how the programme was licked into shape by the third series when Wincey Willis joined.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna watch on +1 full series 1 and 2 in February.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is wrong with the sound, there is background feedback in the studio setting?
  • Options
    CybersiCybersi Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Indeed they soon realised you don't need the mix of radio comms track and the cleaner sound recorded track as just becomes a mush. It certainly improved as it went along. The addition of an adjudicator was crucial as Kenneth had enough to do with helping the contestants out when they were struggling (which happened a lot). Great to rewatch them again though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting a brand new show in Bali was a bit brave I think. Think a UK setting to start would have been better.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,591
    Forum Member
    I only caught a bit of this. Oh the memories :) But forgot how much they use to talk over each other :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I only caught a bit of this. Oh the memories :) But forgot how much they use to talk over each other :D

"Annie!!!!!! Pay attention!!":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The end credits seem to indicate they were using a studio in Paris? This was news to me as they used Limehouse Stusios in London usually (now long gone).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cybersi wrote: »
    The end credits seem to indicate they were using a studio in Paris? This was news to me as they used Limehouse Stusios in London usually (now long gone).

Maybe it was just used for the initial show - pilot episodes tend to be different to the budgeted series.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's probably because the show was originally French and it made sense to use the studio they already had just for the pilot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally this show was first broadcast exactly 31 years ago today 28 Dec 1982.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

So rude! The contestants were quite often the middle class stuffy teacher types.
  • Options
    jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it was just used for the initial show - pilot episodes tend to be different to the budgeted series.

Makes sense if it was as based on a French series. Which was mentioned in credits. Didn't note where facilities used were though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So rude! The contestants were quite often the middle class stuffy teacher types.

"I don't care about some poor foreign kids Annie there's money to be won here just push them out the way tell them your British!!":D

Why have they moved the ads.. tut Challenge leave it alone I know you need an extra break than there was then but no need to butcher it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    That's probably because the show was originally French and it made sense to use the studio they already had just for the pilot.

Indeed, that would make sense. Do we know if Challenge have acquired all seasons or just 1 and 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, that would make sense. Do we know if Challenge have acquired all seasons or just 1 and 2?

1 and 2 only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1 and 2 only.

OK, well lets hope Wincey gets a look in one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, well lets hope Wincey gets a look in one day.

They only purchase two series of things they have done the same with Knightmare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMGGG she is dangerous on that motorbike I can't look
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,591
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only purchase two series of things they have done the same with Knightmare.

...which is fair enough as it lets them see if the show gets decent ratings before making a bigger outlay to acquire further series.

On that subject, I wonder how much it does cost Challenge in repeat and clearance fees to, say, broadcast two series of Treasure Hunt; are we talking tens of thousands of pounds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    ...which is fair enough as it lets them see if the show gets decent ratings before making a bigger outlay to acquire further series.

On that subject, I wonder how much it does cost Challenge in repeat and clearance fees to, say, broadcast two series of Treasure Hunt; are we talking tens of thousands of pounds?

Good question - I would say each show will have a different price due to number of people who need paying for repeat fees, the deemed importance and potential appeal to the public ie Whittle will probably a lot cheaper than Treasure Hunt as Treasure Hunt is more cult and wanted by public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's amazing to think that one mobile phone connection today does the same job as a large strap on comms pack, plus comms helecopter and a base station did in 1982.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing to think that one mobile phone connection today does the same job as a large strap on comms pack, plus comms helecopter and a base station did in 1982.

I never understood why the studios contestants couldn't see her, it really wouldn't have made much difference, was it technical or did they really believe it would have made it much easier?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's at it again "Pay attention will you!!" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember Treasure Hunt was involved in the ITV Telethon '88 and indeed ITV managed a live location feed which was like wow!