Options

Protect Your Bubble.com - Think Twice

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Did you have any joy with this? I'm in a similar situation where I didn't contact the police for a lost phone (not stolen).

They turned it down, so I appealed with no reply, but now I've gone to the ombudsman and will trawl the Internet to place complaint messages on the various boards. I might even do a PPC campaign on their keywords.

Vxs wrote: »
    Well can't say I am impressed with them either.

I lost my iPhone 4 over 2 week's ago and I was covered with ProtectYourBubble and have paid the extra for Lost gadgets.

I realised I had lost my phone so within 3hrs of losing it after frantically trying to find it I reported it lost to my network o2.

They put a bar on the IMEI handset and the telephone number. Because this was lostand reported in the early hours of the bank holiday Sunday I then woke up the next day and went looking for my phone again.

I could not get hold of ProtectYourBubble as they were shut on a bank holiday Sunday and also on the Monday so later on in the day I decided to UN-bar my iPhone as I have remembered I had Apples Find my iPhone GPS tracking installed. I attempted to call my phone and use this service which also remote wipes/alarms to go off on the handset as well as giving you the GPS co-ordinates but none of this worked.

So on the bank holiday Monday I rang o2 and barred my iPhone IMEI handset and number again.

Tuesday came and I reported the phone Lost to ProtectYourBubble and they emailed me a claims form. I immediately filled it in and emailed/scanned all the documents they required Apple Store receipt, claims form etc to them within the hour. I then waited several days and rang them on the Friday to see how my claim was progressing and they explained we needed to do a conference call with o2, which we did and they confirmed all of the above, that the handset was barred/is barred but it was temporarily taken off when I attempted to locate it via GPS.

Now each step of the way I have had to contact ProtectYourBubble to find out how my claim has been progressing and today they tell me it has been rejected because my phone did not remain barred?

I understand from them this is against their T&C's however can they not understand it was done with good intention to prevent a claim and try and find my handset, the IMEI was unbarred for about 12hrs and is now permanently barred.

It seems to me they have caught me out on a technicality when in good faith I was trying to avoid a claim.

I have appealed the decision and am awaiting a response however since this claim started nobody has contacted me. I have had to make every call to them on a 0845 number to find out what was going on an initiate a conference call with o2. They have cut me off when in the queue about 4 times and have took a week to come to this decision which would have been much longer if I had not chased them. They advertise a claim will be paid out within 48hrs if successful obviously mine wasn't but regardless I cannot see how they hit that target.

I feel as if I'm being victimised for trying to find my phone when they know the handset cannot be used and I couldn't contact them over the bank holiday so tried other avenues to get my phone back. It does seem unfair of them, lifes unfair I know but I feel as if I am in the right here.

What difference does it make the IMEI being unbarred for a total of 12hrs? I am not claiming for any misuse of the handset for phone calls made. The phone cannot be used now.

What does everyone else think? can you advise if I am right or wrong or where I can go from here please?

Personally I don't think I'll ever use them again unless they put things right and explain why unbarring the IMEI for a few hours to try and ring it and use the Apple Find my iPhone functions has stopped my claim being accepted.

Much appreciate any advice.

Regards
    Scott
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I agree. I was late in reporting my phone lost and was turned down on a technicality. They've also said they didn't think my loss warranted a payout.

Complete joke. Definitely DON'T USE them. Also, ignore any Facebook pandering. They tell you to send in details again, but don't actually over turn their decisions. It's just a stalling tactic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi I'm really interested I came along this post after a extensive google search..I also have been scammed and treated extreemely poorly by PYB..

After taking out insurance on my top i5 Toshiba Laptop after hearing about the company through a TV advert I decided to get a policy with them. My laptop was accidentally dropped and my experience with PYB started with good customer service..due to the fact that at the time of taking out the policy in december 2010 theyre site didnt have automatic laptop models to select..i couldnt correctly fit my model details into their character box for quotation therefore my policy only showed an abbreviation of my full laptop's name and model..so after explaining this to them they agreed that it would be fine as it had been mentioned via email as long as i had a valid reciept..i thought this was pretty good of them..however after paying a £75 excess and having my claim accepted I noticed they're responses and service go down..as i am a student i had no access to a home telephone so my only method of contact was email..

they then told me i could simply scan over the documents and it was as easy as that to make a claim..did that..and they told me numerous days later the info had to be hand signed and written then scanned..did that and didnt recieve a response for further days...initially they told me someone would ring me from their repair team and this never had despite me numerously emailing them all information to contact me on and keeping them updated..

A courier then turned up out of the blue without any prior warning from PYB and he couldn't tell me who he was picking up for, had been sent by or was delievering too..so I refused the courier at the risk of fraud..they then didnt email me back till numerous days later when i asked them if they had sent this courier..to tell me this was the courier..so i emailed them to ask them when they would send another 1 after their response had just been 'yes that was our courier' literally!! not the best customer service....after chasing them with 100s of emails (literally i emailed and emailed and emailed)..a courier turned up with no prior warning a couple of days later..then surprise surprise got a email from them 1 hour after the courier had left..telling me a courier was coming..as it was the same guy from before (when i refused the courier) i guessed it was their courier luckily so this time didn't miss the courier..laptop went off and as per their terms and conditions I eagerly awaited its return..after 14 working days..i had not recieved my laptop..so i complained..firstly all the complaint email address/information on their site was outdated and as mentioned I discovered that they had been taken over by another company..and was given yet another 2-3 emails addresses..these all bounced back..then as i am a very hard person to fog off..I literally emailed them 100s of times a day AGAIN..eventually i got a phone call to say my laptop would be another 7 days repaired..when this person from PYB called me I asked her for the email address to complain..was finally given the correct email address which for anyone who needs it is (complaints@supercoverinsurance.com). And then a amazing 5 days later after this phonecall and numerous emails again to chase them up..so my claim was accepted on the 10th November 2011..and finally a courier arrived on..24th November 2011..this was over 11+ working days it was returned and not the 5..and the laptop was returned on the 12th December..theyre site claims 'from the pick up of a successful courier we will repair your laptop within 5 working days' .had my laptop been returned..little did I know this was only the start..cosmetically the laptop had been repaired perfectly..i went to insert a disc into my laptop to find the horror that the cd drive was stiff..(this laptop was only 1 year old) and had never been stiff before. On the back of my computer the windows 7 sticker which was containing the serial number to activate windows 7 had been peeled off..additional scratches had been made on the back panel..and on top of that my internet wireless card had completely broke..the internet constantly disconnected and was slow..i checked on other laptops the internet connectiion and guess what..worked fine for everyone else...also the battery before and clearly on the claim form i had informed PYB had stated it needed replacing by the Toshiba Software on the laptop..Laptop still said battery needed repairing...am now delegated to using a usb adapter to use the internet..PYB completely ruined my laptop. I emailed them to complain..they gave me £25 back off the £75 excess, however ignored me about my scratches and damage done to the laptop and insisted on re-sending the laptop to them for an 'engineers inspection'..but said if it was my own damage i would be charged another £75 excess..I refused to pay a further excess and asked them how they could fairly advertise they will fix a laptop within 5 days and where in their policy it states they send a laptop back with a faulty battery..faulty wireless card and stiff cd drive with additional damage..i was ignored so went to the underwriters.who told me they could take 1 month to reply..still havent heard anything from them..and eveerytime you email their 'complaints officer' you are either ignored or fed the same lines that she can't deal with this complaint..they have no idea who to deal with customers or resolve problems..one of the most rudest and worst insurance companies I have ever dealt with in my life..What is the points of a complaints officer if they cant resolve or deal with a complaint..put this point to the complaint officed..ignored..

Been to Trading Standards and they've passed their information onto my local Trading Standards..but god help me with them!!

Sending laptop off to them again to see what they do..but god help me..wish I had NEVER insured with them..
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad I came across this thread - I'm going to take out insurance after having my mobile stolen for the third time, and was considering PYB. I think I'm just going to get personal possessions cover added to my home insurance now though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up... I was thinking of going with them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Having processed a claim for a genuine loss of an iPhone I am very disappointed to have been told that they refuse to pay out. I'm currently appealing it but feel completely duped by their 'policy'

According to the advisor on the phone the mobile network must be notified within 12 hours of the loss. Somethign that was not mentioned to me when i first called to start the claim process. We were woeful in or timescales and it was a whole 15 hours and 16 minutes ..notified O2 at 09:16 on a Monday morning having lost the phone on Sunday evening.

I think that 12 hours is simply a crazy timescale, I have a young son who is my priority and his dinner, bath and bed routine were surprisingly my priority. When I notified protect your bubble they made a big deal about the police report within 24 hours which was duly completed and reference provided. No mention of the 12 hour timeline...it's a mute point as the phone was not used in any case. Be aware of these ridiculous terms as it makes me furious that this underhand means of operating is permitted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PLEASE AVOID "PROTECT YOUR BUBBLE" AT ALL COSTS.

I have always had phone insurance through my network provider, but due to price hikes a couple of years ago I shifted to "Protect your Bubble".
    £7 a month - great deal...............WRONG.

I have just made a claim for a lost iphone whilst in Australia but due to time zone differences and confusion over dates they have rejected my rather straightforward claim based on not informing them of the loss within 12 hours (which I actually did). The first decision took 3 weeks, But since appealing this, I have been told it will take another 30 days to "fully investigate" the appeal. This is an absolute disgrace for a company whom I pay money to, to protect a relatively low value item. The 12 hour rule poses no extra risk or cost to PYB as they have no responsibility for call costs or fraudulent use.

I am under no illusion that the appeal will be successful either given everything I have learnt about them to date.

I am totally P*&@ed off with their customer service and 'avoidance attitude' towards a straightforward claim. Shame on you Protect your Bubble - I will be telling everyone I can to avoid you.

I will gladly go back to paying extra for network insurance that is no quibbles and 24 hours turnaround.

PLEASE NOT USE THESE SHYSTERS !
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they are still in business! I've not heard anyone say anything remotely positive about this company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My daughter lost/had her phone stolen this weekend. She was at a friends party and had her iphone in her pocket. At some point in the evening her phone had either fallen out and been picked up by someone or had been taken out of her pocket. I got a call from a very distressed daughter at 1am to ask me to go get her as she was upset and convinced her phone was stolen. In the morning we contacted the police and also tried to call Protect your Bubble. They dont work weekends! It was several hours before the police called back and we had spoken to the girls who's party it was to ask that she check the house thoroughly in case it had just slipped under a chair or something but the phone was gone. Once we knew the phone had definately disappeared and was not going to show up we contacted O2 to block it and having spoken to the police and the police having spoken to the other people at the party, we got our crime reference number and called Protect Your Bubble this morning. Well surprise surprise, they wont pay out. Because we called our service provider 1 hour later than it says in the small print! I have read so many terrible reviews about this company, what a shame I didnt read them before I changed my insurance from O2. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for!!! Dont bother trying to save yourself money because they dont pay out anyway!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay 6pounds a month with Orange , no forms or no fuss , made 2 claims , next day replacement no worries .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    madnes wrote: »
    To add every website so far i have posted on. They have Tried to remove my posts. The review centre they were succesful. Only when i referred my complaint to the financial ombudsman did they want to settle outside of them. As above i have received my new phone. Excess and policy was refunded plus compensation.

Hi madnes, that sounds really complicated. Would you mind explaining everyone how to go on to make a claim with protect your bubble or how you did for your claim and the emails you used.
    I am thinking of making a website just for them to make everyone know about it and stay away from them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Took this policy out to replace my original Iphone cover. I was told that should my phone break down I would receive a repair/replacement within 3-4 days. Having paid the policy without a claim for 3 YEARS I now need a repair. The telephone operator was totally disinterested, in fact she sounded as though she needed to sleep! I was told she would need to post a claim form to me. After they received the form back they would then review the claim and if it was agreed I would then have to send them the phone. From the time they received the phone it would take 10 days for me to receive it back. So I was looking over 3 weeks before the I had the use of a phone. And to top it all there was an excess charge of £50 which was non-refundable and payable in advance. The phone isn't even worth that amount. So after paying out for 3 years it wasn't even worth claiming. What a total waste of money. Still, they say "Pay peanuts and get monkeys" which is exactly what ProtectYourBubble are. I should have stayed with the PC World cover, it was more expensive but you actually get what you pay for - COVER!!
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Took this policy out to replace my original Iphone cover. I was told that should my phone break down I would receive a repair/replacement within 3-4 days. Having paid the policy without a claim for 3 YEARS I now need a repair. The telephone operator was totally disinterested, in fact she sounded as though she needed to sleep! I was told she would need to post a claim form to me. After they received the form back they would then review the claim and if it was agreed I would then have to send them the phone. From the time they received the phone it would take 10 days for me to receive it back. So I was looking over 3 weeks before the I had the use of a phone. And to top it all there was an excess charge of £50 which was non-refundable and payable in advance. The phone isn't even worth that amount. So after paying out for 3 years it wasn't even worth claiming. What a total waste of money. Still, they say "Pay peanuts and get monkeys" which is exactly what ProtectYourBubble are. I should have stayed with the PC World cover, it was more expensive but you actually get what you pay for - COVER!!

Why would you have insurance in an original iPhone? Seems like a waste of money no matter which company you use...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    madnes wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of taking out Mobile Phone insurance with this firm think twice. I was fooled by the cheap premiums!

2 weeks after they the fone clinic deems my phone as beyond repair I am still awaiting a replacement handset. - I complained directly to the Underwriters and found it had not been ordered.

So far I have spent £9.84 on calls, Mainly being left on hold waiting to speak with them on the 0871 number for over 22 mins - They have now agreed to refund these charges.

They ignore emails that you send to them. And the little replies I have received back from them have not made any sense.

I am promised I will receive the replacement C7 within a few days... Not next day.

In all, It has cost me £5.80 to send the handset to them. £25.00 excess... £22.00 to pay the policy upto date and £9.84 in phone calls - to which I await the cheque.

My friend experienced the same thing. My advice is just to stay away from insurance and be careful with your iPhone.
  • Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter lost/had her phone stolen this weekend. She was at a friends party and had her iphone in her pocket. At some point in the evening her phone had either fallen out and been picked up by someone or had been taken out of her pocket. I got a call from a very distressed daughter at 1am to ask me to go get her as she was upset and convinced her phone was stolen. In the morning we contacted the police and also tried to call Protect your Bubble. They dont work weekends! It was several hours before the police called back and we had spoken to the girls who's party it was to ask that she check the house thoroughly in case it had just slipped under a chair or something but the phone was gone. Once we knew the phone had definately disappeared and was not going to show up we contacted O2 to block it and having spoken to the police and the police having spoken to the other people at the party, we got our crime reference number and called Protect Your Bubble this morning. Well surprise surprise, they wont pay out. Because we called our service provider 1 hour later than it says in the small print! I have read so many terrible reviews about this company, what a shame I didnt read them before I changed my insurance from O2. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for!!! Dont bother trying to save yourself money because they dont pay out anyway!!!!

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I had a very similar experience with my dauther who lost her I Phone 5 on New Year's Night. The phone was lost on the way home although we don't know how exactly.

When I phoned them, they asked about the design and make of her bag and then asked if it could have been lost in a house to which we said no. They eventually persuaded my daughter to admit that she left the bag with her best friend for a couple of minutes while she went to the W C and they said that unless she has the phone in her eyesight of reach at all times the claim is not valid. They clearly were looking for a reason to not pay out.

There is no point taking out insurance with this Company as the T & C's are so restrictive and the staff so pushy that it is difficult to see any scenario where they would ever pay up. They will never replace a phone within 2 days as promised.

This has caused real upset as we are quite a poor family and we had saved all year for this. I would avoid this company like the plague.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggeral wrote: »
    Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I had a very similar experience with my dauther who lost her I Phone 5 on New Year's Night. The phone was lost on the way home although we don't know how exactly.

When I phoned them, they asked about the design and make of her bag and then asked if it could have been lost in a house to which we said no. They eventually persuaded my daughter to admit that she left the bag with her best friend for a couple of minutes while she went to the W C and they said that unless she has the phone in her eyesight of reach at all times the claim is not valid. They clearly were looking for a reason to not pay out.

There is no point taking out insurance with this Company as the T & C's are so restrictive and the staff so pushy that it is difficult to see any scenario where they would ever pay up. They will never replace a phone within 2 days as promised.

This has caused real upset as we are quite a poor family and we had saved all year for this. I would avoid this company like the plague.

It's in the rules, it says you can't leave the phone with somebody else, that's one of the terms of the policy. Presumably they looked through the list of what circumstances they don't pay out in before signing up?
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It's in the rules, it says you can't leave the phone with somebody else, that's one of the terms of the policy. Presumably they looked through the list of what circumstances they don't pay out in before signing up?

That's a bit harsh. It would be reasonable for them to invoke the small print if that is actually when the incident occurred but that is clearly not the case.
  • Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

The "rules" say you can't leave it unattended. The moment I heard their line of questioning it was clear they were never going to pay up as they were always going to find some excuse not to pay, even if it meant putting words into my daughter's mouth. In my mind, unattended means leaving it on a bus/train/restaurant etc.

How could a phone ever be "lost" or "stolen" if the T & C's applied to the letter? The fact is we are all human and are liable to make a mistake which is why we took up insurance.

The only way they could ever pay up is in the case of a mugging as how else could a phone be lost or stolen if it was in possession of the victim? But even then, having read stories on other forums, it is like getting blood out of a stone.

I did not go to them to save money, but because they were recommended. Insurance is not something I cut corners on and have cancelled my policy immediately and renewed with another company who charge less and don't have these draconian T & C's.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. It would be reasonable for them to invoke the small print if that is actually when the incident occurred but that is clearly not the case.

Oh I thought the incident happened when it was with somebody else as they said they eventually persuaded their daughter to admit that she left the bag with her best friend for a couple of minutes while she went to the W C. They said they don't know when in the evening it was lost.

If it did happen whilst it was trusted to somebody else then technically as it says that in the policy, then it wouldn't be covered.

I don't agree with those terms, but they aren't really in small print, they are fairly clear on the website.

I feel sorry for the OP as it's a lot of money. I would really recommend checking what's covered before signing up.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Still, least there's a new advert on telly for them with that tool out of the gadget show saying how good they are.