Chris Brown feat. Aaliyah - Don't Think They Know

dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i9t1gv-1N8

The new song released by Chris Brown featuring the late Aaliyah, using some of her unreleased vocals for his song, "Don't Think They Know"?

Thoughts? Chris Brown's annoyed me here, to be honest. I can't help but think he's only doing this because Drake used some of her vocals, too. I love Enough Said (without Drake's part, really) but it took me longer to like - I really like this new one off the bat. Aaliyah sounds great and Chris ain't bad either - to be honest, I really like some of the lyrics he through in too - from 'the L-I-Y-A-H'' from Back and Forth, to a mention of 'At Your Best'.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the song and video. The message behind it is great and there is a small stab at drake in the video, but unlike drake, he didn't make the song a diss record. CB did a great job here.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Pretty low to feature the vocals of someone who died 12 years earlier imho

Let her rest in peace and her fans can enjoy the music she wanted people to hear when alive.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worst song I have ever heard. also I find it sick to use the vocals of someone who tragically died 12 years ago and who cant object to them being used. I don't think aaliyah would have liked what chris brown did to Rihanna and I don't think if she was alive today she would want to work with him
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the previous two posts
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if she was alive she would never have worked with him after what he did to Rihanna. I hope he got her family's permission for this.

ETA: As an Aaliyah fan, I'm not even going to listen to this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, pretty good song.

I don't know why people on here are saying he shouldnt sample Aaliyah.
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    I like it, pretty good song.

I don't know why people on here are saying he shouldnt sample Aaliyah.

I agree. People are overreacting really.

Being a fan of Aaliyah ever since she first came on the scene, I know that if these songs were a problem, her family wouldn't have allowed it or Tim and Missy would have spoken out. It's really a compliment and not a low blow, but sadly, because of her passing, people try to change the past.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty low to feature the vocals of someone who died 12 years earlier imho

Let her rest in peace and her fans can enjoy the music she wanted people to hear when alive.

That was my first thought.

Chris Brown truly sickens me but what is far worse is how the industry forgave him and welcomed him back with open arms as though he was the wronged party. Disgusting, and talk about sending out the worst possible message to society.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worst song I have ever heard. also I find it sick to use the vocals of someone who tragically died 12 years ago and who cant object to them being used. I don't think aaliyah would have liked what chris brown did to Rihanna and I don't think if she was alive today she would want to work with him

Im not trying to start anything, but we don't know how she would have felt about the situation. She did marry a grown man when she was fifteen who was sued for statutory rape and eventually peed on a teenaged girl...allegedly.

Some might find it disrespectful, but the fact of the matter is, the people in charge of her estate(her uncle) and who own the rights to her material signed off on it. Singers make music for the world to hear, and the world is hearing her work. Tupac had like five albums after he died. I'm not saying it is right, but don't shoot it down just because you think she MIGHT not have wanted to do it. We will never know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dondfan998 wrote: »
    I agree. People are overreacting really.

Being a fan of Aaliyah ever since she first came on the scene, I know that if these songs were a problem, her family wouldn't have allowed it or Tim and Missy would have spoken out. It's really a compliment and not a low blow, but sadly, because of her passing, people try to change the past.

Tim and Missy said they had a problem with Drake trying to executive produce an entire album of her unreleased material because he didnt know her and has nothing to do with the artist she was, but they were okay with the sample, though, neither of them wanted to listen to the song which is understandable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge Aaliyah fan and I don't get the negativity. I should remind you that one of Aaliyah's most frequent collaborators (and rumoured boyfriend) was DMX. Chris Brown is much more innocent than DMX.

Anyway, like I expected, Aaliyah steals the show in this song and her parts are the only thing I like about it. Thankfully, 90% of the song is her :) I'm always glad to hear unreleased Aaliyah tracks. And I'm happy that the video was a bit of a tribute to her towards the end. Helps to spread her legacy to a new generation :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I'm a huge Aaliyah fan and I don't get the negativity. I should remind you that one of Aaliyah's most frequent collaborators (and rumoured boyfriend) was DMX. Chris Brown is much more innocent than DMX.

Anyway, like I expected, Aaliyah steals the show in this song and her parts are the only thing I like about it. Thankfully, 90% of the song is her :) I'm always glad to hear unreleased Aaliyah tracks. And I'm happy that the video was a bit of a tribute to her towards the end. Helps to spread her legacy to a new generation :)

Omg, EXACTLY.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Chris Brown is much more innocent than DMX.

That's debatable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    That's debatable.

It really shouldn't be. If you think Chris Brown is anywhere close to DMX level you should have your head examined. DMX is one of the craziest mofos in the music industry. DMX is abut as crazy as Gucci Mane. CB doesn't even come close to that even if he does have obvious anger issues.

Speaking of DMX, Aaliyah used to make him use minimal to no curse words in songs she did with him because she didnt like cursing in her music and I like that Chris did the same thing. That was one of my biggest problems with the Drake song. It's like he can't make a record without swear words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's debatable.

Um...how?!

While Chris Brown's act of violence was something that never should have happened, DMX almost has a whole Wikipedia page of legal issues and multiple arrests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um...how?!

While Chris Brown's act of violence was something that never should have happened, DMX almost has a whole Wikipedia page of legal issues and multiple arrests.

And there is no allegedly about pretty much all of them. He will tell you to your face that he did every single one and not blink an eye. DMX is a career criminal. Shame he wastes his talent, though, Jay-Z f**ked him over big time, so I guess I can't blame him for a lot of his music industry hatred. He needs therapy for the rest, though. He never got over his traumatic childhood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Chris Brown's act of violence was something that never should have happened

But it did happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, is this going to be on his album? HATE the song, sorry but I really didn't like Aaliyahs bit. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it did happen.

Yes...but sorry, do you not know about DMX??

He's a great artist, but he's done a lot worse than Chris Brown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...but sorry, do you not know about DMX??

He's a great artist, but he's done a lot worse than Chris Brown.

I know all about DMX. You make is sound like we should excuse Chris Brown simply because DMX has done worse stuff for most of his life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know all about DMX. You make is sound like we should excuse Chris Brown simply because DMX has done worse stuff for most of his life.

That isn't what is being said at all. What the poster is saying, is Chris Brown shouldn't be out on the same level as DMX. It was stated that Aaliyah probably wouldn't want to work with CB because of his beating of Rihanna, but the reality is, she worked numerous times with a man who is a lot more dangerous than CB. That doesn't mean Chris should be excused, but he definitely shouldn't be put in the same category as DMX.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The thing is, I don't make it sound like that, at all. The above poster is correct- we're only saying that Aaliyah wouldn't rule out working with Chris Brown if she had only recently worked with DMX before her death.

Also, Aaliyah always believed in forgiveness of sins, so I think you were exaggerating the points.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Im not trying to start anything, but we don't know how she would have felt about the situation. She did marry a grown man when she was fifteen who was sued for statutory rape and eventually peed on a teenaged girl...allegedly.

That's exactly my point though, we don't know how she would have felt which is why I find it disrespectful because Aaliyah isn't here to say no. i'm not against releasing old unheard songs of hers [as long as the money made gets put into a fund named in memory of her which will benefit charities] but personally, even if it wasn't chris brown, I still think its a bit sick to use her vocals on new songs and shes not here to give her permission or object
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's exactly my point though, we don't know how she would have felt which is why I find it disrespectful because Aaliyah isn't here to say no. i'm not against releasing old unheard songs of hers [as long as the money made gets put into a fund named in memory of her which will benefit charities] but personally, even if it wasn't chris brown, I still think its a bit sick to use her vocals on new songs and shes not here to give her permission or object

Yep, there is an Aaliyah Memorial Fund :)