Iceland: Life In The Freezer Cabinet - BBC2

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    If anything this programme is going to make me avoid Iceland products even more lol
    But not the Staff Canteen.....:cool:

Liked Trish this week - saying Sorry, and Keith explaining his Job, which involves a shovel.:D
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    You mean the same way that the Tesco Managers did?:rolleyes:

I get deliveries from supermarkets regularly (not Iceland yet) and all I care about is if they have brought all I have ordered.

That building a bridge thing is so typical of those organisations who think that those kind of activities in any way help.

Wonder if they do that one where you have to decide who in a group of 10 person should survive being trapped in a waterlogged cave.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Wonder if they do that one where you have to decide who in a group of 10 person should survive being trapped in a waterlogged cave.

I did that one once. The "trainer" was stunned by my first choice and ask me why I had chosen him. When I explained that I had put their names on ten bits of paper and pulled them randomly out of my pocket she nearly had a coronary.

To me it was the only fair unbiased way of deciding.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    ....or which burger has horse-meat in it.;)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flabby_Gut wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be complaining about the quality at Iceland especially the ready meals seemingly forgetting the fact that the horse meat scandal started off because of the excellent quality of Tesco's ready meals!

If you shop sensibly Iceland offer some very good buys that are constantly at good prices. Here are some recommendations.

Toilet Roll called "Petal Soft" - 3 Ply £1 for 4 or 25p a roll. IMO as good as any of the big brands and ALWAYS this price.

Milk - 4 pints for a pound. Been this price for years and only in the last 18 months or so that the big supermarkets have reduced their prices - was always around £1.30/40 + in Tesco & Sainsbury's demonstrating quite how much they rip people off!

Similarly eggs. 6 Large free range £1 or a dozen caged for £1.

Bread - They ALWAYS have either Kingsmill or Warburtons full size loaves at £1

They also have a large range of Kingsmill products - 2 for a £1. This includes 6 packs of rolls, 4 pack English muffins, crumpets, hot cross buns & also 4 packs of part baked rolls including Ciabatta rolls or 2 packs of baguettes- remember this is any 2 packs!!

The Majestic "choc ices" mentioned in the show are not choc ices - they are Magnum copies but at £1 for 4 - all the time!

They almost always have deals on 100% extra free packs of Kit Kats and Yorkshire tea.

At present they have 8 four finger bars of Kit Kats for £1.50 - last month it was 8 Chunkies.

Yorkshire tea is often on these special packs at 160 bags for £2.50

Other recommendations are their Southern Fried chicken wings 1KG bag for £3 and whole legs of lamb are often available for £10.

There are some great bargains to be had if you are a canny shopper and not a snob.

They don't have self service checkouts - which is good - but the assistants are always speedy and unlike Aldi & Lidl there is room to pack & they will either help or give you enough time to pack instead of just dumping all your shopping & then making you feel guilty for holding up the entire queue!

Sums it up. Plus they dont charge for delivery like asda,tesco do
  • Busy_LizzieBusy_Lizzie Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    The interview techniques Iceland use are Americanised, just like Trevor said. I knew that Cassie would get the job and he wouldn't, gotta fit in with the BBC's politically correct agenda now, haven't we? Or should that be Iceland's? Oh, and who was that smug **** of a politician going on about his, ahem, "Scottish" accent?

Anyway, great show. And I recommend their Vindaloo Balti as well, very fiery!

The MP was extremely sarcastic and it's a shame he wasn't told where to go!
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    I suppose that not many farmers are fans of DS or the Internet. We really don't have many (any) posting on her complaining.,

Wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18898830

Oh, and... err.. how can I put this. Not all milk is the same quality :)
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people seem to be complaining about the quality at Iceland especially the ready meals seemingly forgetting the fact that the horse meat scandal started off because of the excellent quality of Tesco's ready meals!

If you shop sensibly Iceland offer some very good buys that are constantly at good prices. Here are some recommendations.

Toilet Roll called "Petal Soft" - 3 Ply £1 for 4 or 25p a roll. IMO as good as any of the big brands and ALWAYS this price.

Milk - 4 pints for a pound. Been this price for years and only in the last 18 months or so that the big supermarkets have reduced their prices - was always around £1.30/40 + in Tesco & Sainsbury's demonstrating quite how much they rip people off!

They also have a large range of Kingsmill products - 2 for a £1. This includes 6 packs of rolls, 4 pack English muffins, crumpets, hot cross buns & also 4 packs of part baked rolls including Ciabatta rolls or 2 packs of baguettes- remember this is any 2 packs!!

The Majestic "choc ices" mentioned in the show are not choc ices - they are Magnum copies but at £1 for 4 - all the time!

They almost always have deals on 100% extra free packs of Kit Kats and Yorkshire tea.

At present they have 8 four finger bars of Kit Kats for £1.50 - last month it was 8 Chunkies.

Other recommendations are their Southern Fried chicken wings 1KG bag for £3 and whole legs of lamb are often available for £10.

There are some great bargains to be had if you are a canny shopper and not a snob.

They don't have self service checkouts - which is good - but the assistants are always speedy and unlike Aldi & Lidl there is room to pack & they will either help or give you enough time to pack instead of just dumping all your shopping & then making you feel guilty for holding up the entire queue!

Well call me a snob but I'll be damned if I'd feed my family 'southern fried chicken wings' sourced from sickly hens from somewhere in south america or eastern europe. As for your toilet rolls...I pay less than 14p a roll from my local pound stretcher because I pay £5 for 36 rolls. I am not interested in junk like kitkats or chunkies so I don't care what they cost anywhere. I would not buy Kingsmill bread if you paid me to do so, crappy texture...I pay 89p for a fresh baked loaf at my local bakery.

I only ever buy caged hen eggs because not only are they cheap and do the job, but whilst studying biology in university I discovered that the free-range industry consists of animals that are pumped full of antibiotics because they encounter more diseases and infections, so I don't buy into the 'free range is better' propaganda.

Iceland legs of lamb, just as Lidl and Aldi legs of lamb, are all halal - if it is stamped 'New Zealand Lamb' then it is halal. I refuse to touch meat that has the offensive stain of halal on it.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone shop at Farmfoods?
  • Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I have been watching this with great interest as I worked for Iceland from 93-96 and I have to say that either things have seriously changed or Malcolm is living in denial.

One thing I noticed in the first episode was that they made it look like the stores were run by multi tasking cashiers. I laughed at the lass pulling in a delivery.....when I worked there, hell would have frozen over beforee that happened. I would say that they didn't show any of the shop floor staff because they would have been more honest about what Iceland is like to work for ;) The cashiers never had to put up with the unpaid overtime and were never treated like s***t by the managers.

I admire what Malcolm Walker (I am sure he was a sir at one point) has achieved, although he did start the company with another man who's name escapes me. But when I worked there he visited our store once and didn't even bother to come over to us. He walked in, spent less than 5 minutes talking to the girls on the checkout and left. The stock lads spent 2-3 nights getting the store looking good.....clearly a waste of time in the end. :mad:

I got the impression from episode 2 that this "Best company to work for" is from HO, not the stores. Going by what I have seen, I would love to work there too.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member

Hi Keith. ;)
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    Last episode on now.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    They should make the ads an Apprentice task.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His 'Good Wine' idea is a mistake. . Imagine having a dinner party and putting a Wine on the table with 'Good Red Wine' on the label. You just wouldn't.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this and he's a smart guy and very wealthy.

It interested me enough to now go into an Iceland shop I have to say, so I guess the prog has done a good job.

There was a thread last week about Iceland and I said that I had only been in one once and didn't think I'd go again because I dislike ready meals or "slop in a box". I still stand by that but I am now curious as to what else they sell.

The size of his house and "estate":eek::eek:
  • hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Watched this and he's a smart guy and very wealthy.

It interested me enough to now go into an Iceland shop I have to say, so I guess the prog has done a good job.

There was a thread last week about Iceland and I said that I had only been in one once and didn't think I'd go again because I dislike ready meals or "slop in a box". I still stand by that but I am now curious as to what else they sell.

The size of his house and "estate":eek::eek:

Me too. I went in last week for only the second time in my life out of curiosity. There were really good prices on frozen fish, prawns, fishfingers, peas and free-range eggs. I'd go again for those but I don't eat ready meals and 90 per cent of the space was taken up with those. :eek:
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was hilarious watching the london add agency try to pitch their ideas. No way would they have won that work. Got a great deal of respect for the guy that started it hes obviously very smart but I still would not eat 98% of what they sell.

The generic fools at the london add agency that ended up eating chicken tika Marsala lasange :p
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Randysback wrote: »
    His 'Good Wine' idea is a mistake. . Imagine having a dinner party and putting a Wine on the table with 'Good Red Wine' on the label. You just wouldn't.

If I was to draw a Venn diagram of the people who have dinner parties and the people who shop at Iceland what do you think it would look like?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Following that line of thinking they shoud just label stuff as Good Cake, Good Ice-cream, Good Bread etc. And rebrand themselves as Taste Buds R'nt Us while they are at it. :rolleyes:
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I did that one once. The "trainer" was stunned by my first choice and ask me why I had chosen him. When I explained that I had put their names on ten bits of paper and pulled them randomly out of my pocket she nearly had a coronary.

To me it was the only fair unbiased way of deciding.

My 'team' caused outrage because we decided to let them all drown.:D
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    My 'team' caused outrage because we decided to let them all drown.:D

That was my plan B.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    The head of security - "i'd take em round the back and give em a good hiding!" :eek::D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    The head of security - "i'd take em round the back and give em a good hiding!" :eek::D

How did he get such a responsible job? I thought he was very brutish and coarse.
  • Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Well call me a snob but I'll be damned if I'd feed my family 'southern fried chicken wings' sourced from sickly hens from somewhere in south america or eastern europe. As for your toilet rolls...I pay less than 14p a roll from my local pound stretcher because I pay £5 for 36 rolls. I am not interested in junk like kitkats or chunkies so I don't care what they cost anywhere. I would not buy Kingsmill bread if you paid me to do so, crappy texture...I pay 89p for a fresh baked loaf at my local bakery.

I only ever buy caged hen eggs because not only are they cheap and do the job, but whilst studying biology in university I discovered that the free-range industry consists of animals that are pumped full of antibiotics because they encounter more diseases and infections, so I don't buy into the 'free range is better' propaganda.

Iceland legs of lamb, just as Lidl and Aldi legs of lamb, are all halal - if it is stamped 'New Zealand Lamb' then it is halal. I refuse to touch meat that has the offensive stain of halal on it.

Really?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    How did he get such a responsible job? I thought he was very brutish and coarse.
    And one of many in the programme with bad teeth. Is that a side effect of an Iceland diet? :eek: