Peter Vaughan

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good to see that Peter Vaughan is still acting at the grand old age of 91.
He has graced so many memorable TV series - Porridge, Chancer, Citizen Smith. Never the star but always memorable for his appearances. Now excellent in Game of Thrones.
Long may you continue Peter

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as I saw the title I thought Oh no, not more bad news.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

So did I, suspect that was entirely deliberate by the OP too.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Must admit, I thought the worst too.

He was great as Billy Fox in 'Fox'.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    Good to see that Peter Vaughan is still acting at the grand old age of 91.
    He has graced so many memorable TV series - Porridge, Chancer, Citizen Smith. Never the star but always memorable for his appearances. Now excellent in Game of Thrones.
    Long may you continue Peter

He had quite a major role in one of my favourite BBC Dickens adaptations; Our Mutual Friend from 1998.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, by a strange coincidence only last Friday in the pub we were having a discussion about people who we weren't sure if they were still alive or not and Peter Vaughan was one of the names that came up.

None of us were really sure so glad to hear he's still with us.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Grouty should send the boys round. ;-)

Loved Peter Vaughan in Remains of the Day and Brazil.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,015
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Perhaps Grouty should send the boys round. ;-).

"Do you wanna Bath Oliver?"

"What, is he in here an all?"

:D
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, I thought the worst too.

He was great as Billy Fox in 'Fox'.

Fox was brilliant. I'm tempted to get it out on DVD, if it's available.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was outstanding in Our Friends in the North with one Daniel Craig, an always reliable actor who never fails to please.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too, or three or is it twenty three.

Always a good actor, never gets the credit he deserves.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »

Can't think of him headlining any major part, though he is very memorable. I don't think "Genial" Harry Grout actually featured in many episodes of Porridge.
    Enjoyed him this week in "Game of Thrones" - Maester Aemon is probably his swansong, good that its in a role that will (presumably) still be enjoyed long in the future.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Great actor, anything he's ever been in is instantly better by his presence.
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could have sworn he'd died a couple of years back.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Fox was brilliant. I'm tempted to get it out on DVD, if it's available.

Yes it is available.

I've had the box set for years now. :cool:
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fabulous character actor. Its rarely repeated but Our Friend in the North is one of the greatest dramas of last 20 years. His performance as the father of Chris Eccelston , in particular the scenes where he was suffering from demetia was very powerful and would bring tears to a glass eye
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    I could have sworn he'd died a couple of years back.

That's what I thought, ages ago, and was amazed when I found out he was still around. (I'm usually very good at knowing who's 'with us' or not, too.)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought he'd passed away too. He's still here, at 91. :D 91! :o I didn't realise he was that age.

This is a good website for finding out who's dead or alive in the celeb world:

http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/dead.nsf/pages-nf/main
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, by a strange coincidence only last Friday in the pub we were having a discussion about people who we weren't sure if they were still alive or not and Peter Vaughan was one of the names that came up.

None of us were really sure so glad to hear he's still with us.

It is surprising how many older actors are still alive who you might have thought had died.
    There was a documentary about British war films on BBC 4 the other night and quite famous actors popped up who appeared in some of them in the interview inserts.
    Donald Sinden appeared and for some reason I felt really happy to see that he was alive. Especially after the recent few days. He is someone I would have assumed may have died years ago.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    A fabulous character actor. Its rarely repeated but Our Friend in the North is one of the greatest dramas of last 20 years. His performance as the father of Chris Eccelston , in particular the scenes where he was suffering from demetia was very powerful and would bring tears to a glass eye

Maybe Our Friends in the North will be repeated on 'Drama', sometime in the next year or two. Who knows? :confused:

Another programme that's rarely repeated is 'Where the Heart Is', shown on ITV in the late 90s and early 00s. Set in Yorkshire about district nurses. It had Pam Ferris and Sarah Lancashire in the early days, then Lesley Dunlop and Lesley Ash after that. Also Des Barnes from Corrie appeared too, for some time.

It has a wonderful theme, performed by Prefab Sprout of "The King of Rock and Roll" fame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwlHXz8n9XE

It's available on DVD from amazon. Series 1-4 are out now seperately. I've got series 1. I must get series 2-4.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-The-Heart-Complete-Series/dp/B000EBFOTM
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else remember that scene in the original Straw Dogs, in which Vaughan's character blows his own foot apart with the shotgun he's holding, while Dustin Hoffman's character is trying to wrest off him. Horrific on first viewing, it's somewhat laughable when you watch it again!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Can't think of him headlining any major part, though he is very memorable. I don't think "Genial" Harry Grout actually featured in many episodes of Porridge.
    Enjoyed him this week in "Game of Thrones" - Maester Aemon is probably his swansong, good that its in a role that will (presumably) still be enjoyed long in the future.

I think Grouty was only in 3 episodes of Porridge; 2 regular and 1 Christmas Special although he may have been mentioned in a few more
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I think Grouty was only in 3 episodes of Porridge; 2 regular and 1 Christmas Special although he may have been mentioned in a few more

That sounds about right, I think he was a good character played by a brilliant actor so his presence was in the show even when he was just mentioned
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Me too, or three or is it twenty three.

I suspect he's got a fair bit of 'credit' with the viewing public of a certain age.
    Great deal of value in steady hands like Peter Vaughan, not the headline act, but there propping the thing up.
    I guess that's why he's still getting the offers even at his age.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember that scene in the original Straw Dogs, in which Vaughan's character blows his own foot apart with the shotgun he's holding, while Dustin Hoffman's character is trying to wrest off him. Horrific on first viewing, it's somewhat laughable when you watch it again!
    Certainly do. Directed by Sam Peckinpah starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George. Classic film set in a Cornish village about bullying and revenge. Another memorable scene here (5:30 on) by Peter Vaughan from the same film
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »

A great performance in a very great series.