Options

Who Do You Think You Are - Kim Cattrall (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    thought I heard Kim's mother mutter 'b@stard' at the end when they were shown the photos!

She said it a few times and who could blame her?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    thought I heard Kim's mother mutter 'b@stard' at the end when they were shown the photos!

She did - far politer about him then I'd have been
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really glad that George Baugh has been 'outed' for the selfish, terrible man he was. OK, he might have been fed up with his first wife, that happens, but he left her and his 3 little girls in abject poverty. Drinking out of jam jars, newspaper as table covering :( Yet that b@stard walked away without seemingly giving them another thought :mad:

I felt so sorry for Kim's Mum and her sisters. It might have been better for them if he had just disappeared off the face of the earth. Instead they've found out that he had 4 more kids who he, at least financially and physically, looked after very well. While they didn't know they could maybe kid themselves that he fell in the Mersey drunk or something and perished.

It's just as well his 'second' wife was dead because the shock might have killed her! And I feel dreadfully sorry for the other 3 kids that are left from the second marriage. Finding out their father was a bigamist and had had 3 daughters which he cruelly deserted in Liverpool must have come as a terrible shock for them. Especially if he had been a 'good' father to them. None of this is their fault.

However, I have a feeling that if his second wife had declined to go to Australia he might just have gone anyway and deserted another family. This man just did what he wanted and sod anyone else who didn't want to go along with this plans.

I have a feeling that the researchers must have got in touch with his Australian family before transmission because nowadays they could have found out via the internet etc. It's a small world. I don't blame them if they want any meeting between the siblings to be private, emotions will most likely be running high.

Excellent programme :)

EDIT: An I forgot about his poor Mother. She never found out what happened to her son. A missing child is a terrible thing to live with (we have experience in my family). He was enjoying himself while his Mother and sisters badly missed him and wondered about his fate. What an utter b@stard!
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching it. Very moving, had a few tears in my eyes at the end there. What an absolute selfish nasty b*stard. A programme that had a purpose to it though and enabled the sisters to have closure finally. As upsetting as it was, it was the not knowing that haunted them I suppose.

Kim was just lovely and so was her mother and her aunties. They can all be very proud and let that git spin in his grave.

I'm glad Kim decided not to take it to Australia. Knowing the other family existed was hurtful enough and it was up to her mother and aunties to make that decision to contact them or not and it appears they did, in private after the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    How fantastic to see these 3 lovely dignified ladies who had been left in abject poverty by their selfish ****less father finally have closure. Kim was brilliant I thought, so warm and obviously grateful for any little snippets of information without being over- emotional or patronising.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    What a fascinating and emotional episode. And what a bastard George Baugh was to abandon his wife and daughters and the youngest only 1 years old at the time!! Not even to contact his own mother who must have been beside herself with worry or either of his sisters. Just appalling!

On another note it was touching to see at the end that Kim's mother and aunts had made contact with their other sister and brothers they never even knew existed. I was balled over too as others have mentioned already at the diginity particularly of Kim's mother but also her aunts when Kim was relaying what happened to their father.

I give the episode a 10/10
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting programme - and unusual in just focusing on one family member. Didn't have much luck in the USA after stowing away on that liner

Unbelievable how he could have left his first wife with so little she had to sell all the furniture, and not even having any towels

Excellent television, and Kim came across as extremely dignified
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I understand it right that George Baugh was having an affair with Isobella in Manchester while he was still in Liverpool and living with Kim's grandmother? I'm sure I heard he and Isobella had their first child within the year of him leaving before the two went to Durham and got married a little later? I may have just assumed that, but I took that for the reason for him 'running' although he obviously had a nasty habit of doing that anyway.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was fascinating. I missed the first 10 minutes, did we see anything about her father's side?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought it would be good tonight,but it was awesome !

she said 'son of a bitch' twice.i wonder how many complaints by Daily Mail readers the BBC will get now lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    It was fascinating. I missed the first 10 minutes, did we see anything about her father's side?

no,just about her mum's dad.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    This was an excellent programme. While it's all very interesting that such and such's grandfather x3 was a shipping merchant, etc, this was much more absorbing IMO as it had real human interest and affected living family members.

How awful for Kim's mum and aunts to find out their father had no conscience about leaving the family in abject poverty: just dumping one part of his life and starting again. He must have been a 'psychopath' in the true sense: not feeling any guilt or remorse at all. Seeing him happily lazing on the beach with his well-fed children affected me, so how his three girls felt, God only knows.

I find it difficult to imagine how they coped with knowing about the 2nd family's existence after their own childhoods were spent clothed in rags, feeling hungry all the time, feeling betrayed/sad about your dad leaving and sleeping in a flea-infested matress. Some people can be such sh*ts!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was all about George Baugh. It was straight into meeting with her mother and her aunties to talk about her grandad and what happened to him when he disappeared. They discussed their destitute lives back then and how poor they were after he left and had to sell absolutely everything just to survive and how they lived in squalid conditions.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

no graphics of family trees or anything tonight - just the compulsive story of her grandfather
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamestay1 wrote: »
    no,just about her mum's dad.
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    It was all about George Baugh. It was straight into meeting with her mother and her aunties to talk about her grandad and what happened to him when he disappeared. They discussed their destitute lives back then and how poor they were after he left and had to sell absolutely everything just to survive and how they lived in squalid conditions.

What a horrible guy, at least they know now what happened. The background team did well to find out so much information!
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    What a lovely close knit family of females.

I suspect they must have had an inkling of what he did, but not how close by he was. I feel for both sets of families, he must have been like the cat that got the cream.

Shame that his family didn't help out the deserted mother and children in their hour of need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent programme so far away from where it started but still brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gripping episode, fantastic television.

Shane and her two sisters should leave that book closed and be proud of what they made of themselves.

Kim seemed like a nice woman too.
  • Options
    TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Great programme and what strong women.

Off topic a bit,wonder if Kim caught the Dulco-Eze ad while she was over? That would have given her a laugh even if little else did :)
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Fascinatingly entertaining tonight.

Kim's mother is 80?! She certainly doesn't look it.

And a nice little bit of comedy - when Kim was having trouble with her gear stick in the car! 'George Baugh won't kill us, but I might'. lol

And I really enjoyed Kate Humble's story as well. That was very moving.

They're the only two I've really enjoyed this time round.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good program.

The researcher did very well to find the marriage certificate. A lot of work them seemed to get glossed over.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Shame that his family didn't help out the deserted mother and children in their hour of need.

I thought that. As his mother knew he was married with children when he disappeared it seemed strange she had no further contact with them after he'd gone - maybe she had no money to help them out, but they'd just be glad of the relationship and you'd think she'd want to see her granddaughters.

This happens in so many families - it was terrible of him but it doesn't make him a psychopath. My dad's grandfather walked away from his family and maybe went to America and one of my mother's cousin's husband went to get a pint of milk and was never seen since. Many people have the ability to do 'out of sight out of mind' and start again. I think it's excellent for a programme to show both how much pain this causes to the people left behind, and that the three daughters clearly have built really good lives for themselves anyway, all credit to them and their mum.

It's interesting, if he was already in a relationship with his second wife, that he wanted to take his daughter with him - how would he have explained her? I found that image of him standing at the window so powerful - what a strange memory to have. If she'd chosen differently her whole life would have been different, if he was really serious. And the photo with him peering out of the window. And just the incredible contrast with the lives of the children he left and the children he kept - how must they feel, hearing of the no towels and drinking from jam jars. I think she was right to meet them after the programme.

Excellent episode - I really liked her and her family. I had to cry when her mum and aunties saw the first photo of him.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    An excellent programme.

As a Liverpool lass myself, I loved all the shots.

My mum was nursing in Liverpool during the mid 30s when Kim's mother was growing up. She told me about some of the poverty. The fact that all 3 sisters lived is a testament to the fortitude of their mother, a characteristic the daughters and Kim, to an extent, displayed.
  • Options
    Maisy27Maisy27 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Next week it's Martin Freeman. I'm not sure if I've seen him in anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this and I wasn't expecting to. Kim Cattrall was charming and behaved so beautifully with everyone