Options

ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Only 2.3million watched Mamma Mia on Itv yesterday, it was beaten by BBC One and BBC Two.

That is very low rating for one of the biggest selling British movies ever. BBC One recently repeated Indiana Jones to an audience of 4.5million.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    In the perverse world of DS-land, high rating programmes are a problem because they may someday start declining in viewership.

Fact is that hit shows use up alot of the oxegen of PR and viewer time and attention, making it difficult to launch new hits whilst the current ones are in situ. If the current hits start to falter there will be more space for new hits to come through but only an idiot takes off their top shows because they might start dropping in viewership in future years. Fortunately DS is full of such people.

How on earth are you allowed to post such drivel?

Insulting DS and its members is not acceptable.
  • Options
    LoomisLoomis Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all shite, even the champions league has been feeling stale for quite a few seasons now, I say that as a United supporter, the earlier rounds of the champions league are starting to feel the the league cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    XFactor beaten by Strictly by 1.7million viewers yesterday, a massive gap between the two shows :eek:

Other Itv ratings yesterday:

Youve Been Framed- 2.4m
    Fool Britannia- 2.1m
    Take Me Out- 3.1m
    Jonathan Ross- 2.5m

All rubbish ratings for Saturday night.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    XFactor beaten by Strictly by 1.7million viewers yesterday, a massive gap between the two shows :eek:

Youve Been Framed- 2.4m
    Fool Britannia- 2.1m
    Take Me Out- 3.1m
    Jonathan Ross- 2.5m

Because they are all utterly rubbish programmes thats why
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    What sort of programmes do you think Itv should be showing on Saturday nights which would get more ratings?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Youve Been Framed- 2.4m
    Fool Britannia- 2.1m
    Take Me Out- 3.1m
    Jonathan Ross- 2.5m

In the interests of balance, would you like to discuss Sunday nights as well? How is that Andrew Marr documentary series doing against Downton Abbey?

The Marr programme fell to 2.25 million last week didn't it, is that a "rubbish rating" for 9pm on a Sunday night? ;)
  • Options
    leicslad45leicslad45 Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Dont watch ITV much these and the weekends are a ITV free zone.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »

Noel's House Party was utter crap yet that used to get, what? Over 10 million? It used to be at the top of the ratings for Saturdays at one point in the 90s, yet, remarkably, the shittiest.

Yet stuff like The Thick of It, quality entertainment and it gets low ratings?

Waking up to reality, many people enjoy Saturday night entertainment. NHP was crap, but enjoyable and I liked it, same goes for Strictly, X Factor, You've Been Framed etc. Something doesn't have to be intelligent to be enjoyable.
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad45 wrote: »
    Dont watch ITV much these and the weekends are a ITV free zone.

It's an ITV free zone all the time in my household :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X-Factor lacks something compared to previous seasons.

The BBC is better at costume drama.

ITVs strength aways used to be that it was not middle class BBC, populist shows and more sex. There are plenty of other channels that beat it hands down on the class/lowbrow stakes, there are surprising numbers of morons out there who watch enough repeats of quiz shows to make an entire channel worthwhile (they must know the answers and who wins) as well as channels selling jewellery, and the likes of Game of Thrones has the sex element.

Technological changes mean ITV is the squeezed middle. I mean, why would anyone watch it? The big shows simply repeat stale formulas that were popular in the past, and those audience will decline. Competitors do them better.

Not sure what other examples of the squeezed middle there are, apart from Music Hall. Theatre survived the arrival of film and TV, Music Hall did not.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Cyclist wrote: »
    X-Factor lacks something compared to previous seasons.

The BBC is better at costume drama.

ITVs strength aways used to be that it was not middle class BBC, populist shows and more sex. There are plenty of other channels that beat it hands down on the class/lowbrow stakes, there are surprising numbers of morons out there who watch enough repeats of quiz shows to make an entire channel worthwhile (they must know the answers and who wins) as well as channels selling jewellery, and the likes of Game of Thrones has the sex element.

Technological changes mean ITV is the squeezed middle. I mean, why would anyone watch it? The big shows simply repeat stale formulas that were popular in the past, and those audience will decline. Competitors do them better.

Not sure what other examples of the squeezed middle there are, apart from Music Hall. Theatre survived the arrival of film and TV, Music Hall did not.

The excellent MIchael Grade series on variety theatre explained that many variety/ music hall acts only had "one trick", and got by touring around so that by the time they went back to a theatre the audience had forgotten their act.
    One showing on TV ruined that.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    Strictly beat XF on average again last night :eek:
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of programmes do you think Itv should be showing on Saturday nights which would get more ratings?

Saturday Night At The London Palladium??

The Golden Shot?

TISWAS for grown-ups??

I could think of worse ways to spend an hour and a half. But none of those would be any good now we have increased advertising slots, increased trailers during shows.....:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Strictly beat XF on average again last night :eek:
    This is a major development. XFactor has always beaten Strictly on Sundays, now the reversal is happening.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a major development. XFactor has always beaten Strictly on Sundays, now the reversal is happening.

That is not surprising. I give the X Factor one more series and then it will be axed. The show has done well over the years but as with almost every prog eventually it has nearly had its day. Strictly appeals to a wider age group - the type who are likely to be at home on Saturday and Sunday nights.
  • Options
    leicslad45leicslad45 Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    ITV strength in the eighties was that the evening schedules 1900-2100 werent dominated by soaps and that they had a wide range of programming when the ITV regions contributed. ITV had top quality current affairs programming that was on during the times that i have said. But some were on after the news

When the ITV franchises were last advertised freely back in the 1990s they had to pass a quality threshold. Some ITV companies fell because the didnt meet that quality threshold or they bid too much. How high is the quality threshold and more importantly does ITV meet that quality threshold today.

I long for the day that ITV was worth watching but there is nothing on that makes me want to watch. That is sad because ITV used to be on all the time
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    despite what many DS readers seem to think ITV is in it's best position since 1991. it is regularly making profit, it is selling it's shows around the world, it is now available across a number or platforms and it is still the biggest commercial broadcaster by far.

whilst a number of it's shows are seeing a decline of audience through traditional linear broadcasts this has been more than mitigated through it's expansion of other commercial areas, and in it's internal efficiency through cost cutting - hence it is virtually debt free and making profit.

also in terms of audience it kicks the shit out of it's competition in almost every comparison you can place it in.

it is also worth remembering that ITV is financed by it's audience, and within that specific demographs. a program that has 6m is not necessarily better for them than a program that does 4.5m. it depends more on the profile of the viewership. X Factor has a really young profile and because of that it is really valuable to them, SCD would deliver a slightly better volume, but it's audience profiles is probably closer to that of countdown.

I don't watch a lot of ITV, but I the stuff on it i do like and i watch, and it is more than most other UK channels. the rest i download from the states!!!1:)
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 million were watching ITV between 9 and 10pm last night, only 2 million were watching BBC1 at the same time. Surprisingly our thread creator hasn't mentioned this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps stating the obvious, but crap shows = crap ratings?

I also wonder if the ubiquitous PVR is having an effect on live viewing of commercial channels?Apart from something really 'live', eg, sport, why would anyone bother to sit through ads when, at the push of a button, you can record it and skip through the ads later?

I record progs on National Geographic, etc. It's not unusual to have to press the 30 second 'skip' button ten times to get through the ad breaks. Why on earth would anyone watch live and sit through the ads?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only 0.8milloin for Itv's quite new current affairs show The Agenda yesterday.

People say Itv dont show current affairs stuff like good old days. Thats true, they dont show as much. But when they do, hardly anybody watches. Is this because their reputation is bad?
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    I dont know if you follow ratings, but Itv have been in a ratings crisis this Autumn with lots of their shows rating very badly.

The X Factor has lost 2million viewers since last year.

New Dramas are launching with only 2-4million viewers instead of 5-7million they should be getting.

Most returning dramas are ratings worse than before. Medical series Monroe just got 3.5m last Monday, a very bad audience.

Champions League football has been getting just 3.5m for Man Utd matches even though in past they were ratings bankers.

Take Me Out got only 3million yesterday, not even close to 4.5m it used to get.

Red or Black for 3million last 7 weeks, terrible ratings for such an expensive show.

Emmerdale is getting less than 7million, very poor considering it has a massive week coming up in just over 7 days time.

Coronation Street spin offs only getting 2.5million, embarrassing for a show which used to get huge ratings for anything associated with it.

Why do you think viewers have switched off watching Itv last few months? Itv are in a ratings crisis at the moment and advertise agencies must be very concerned by Itv struggling to get the mass audiences which the BBC does or even Itv used to be capable of. What is going wrong?

ITV have cancelled all their good programmes that's what

Programmes like The Bill, Heartbeat, The Royal, Wild At Heart, Where The Heart Is, etc, etc all shown on Sunday Nights
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    10 million were watching ITV between 9 and 10pm last night, only 2 million were watching BBC1 at the same time. Surprisingly our thread creator hasn't mentioned this.

I'm not surprised at all - the OP has an anti ITV agenda therefore chooses to ignore a counter balanced argument...

Only 0.8milloin for Itv's quite new current affairs show The Agenda yesterday.

People say Itv dont show current affairs stuff like good old days. Thats true, they dont show as much. But when they do, hardly anybody watches. Is this because their reputation is bad?

.....like the above. Hasn't commentated on the Downton/Marr figures, so his viewpoint can't be taken credibly. You are wasting your time trying to discuss something with him. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all - the OP has an anti ITV agenda therefore chooses to ignore a counter balanced argument...

.....like the above. Hasn't commentated on the Downton/Marr figures, so his viewpoint can't be taken credibly. You are wasting your time trying to discuss something with him. :(
    Downton Abbey is very popular. But outside of the soaps and Paul OGrady Dogs, thats the only peak time show which has been firing on all cylinders. Theres dozens of shows on Itv and for there to be less than 5 shows to be doing well atm is not good.
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to see this thread.

ITV lost loyalty from many viewers when it ceased to be truly regional. At the same time, it lost advertising revenue and decided to rely more and more - too much - on core, middle expense programming - mainly soaps, talent shows, some football etc. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, this decision alienated many casual viewers, so that, even when there is, say, a decent drama on at 9pm, a lot of people don't watch because they're out of the habit of watching ITV. Now, the previously reliable core audience is feeling that the programme mix on offer is stale.

Personally, I see the way forward starting with cutting back a little on soap episodes, rejigging the schedule slightly, getting rid of regional programmes and looking to embrace local television. Just creating a more varied programme mix is the way to go in the long term; it always was.

I suppose it looks very much like a return to the structure of past ITV schedules, but, in the end, it's the quality of new programmes that counts.

5.45 News and Weather
    6.15 Local News and Weather
    6.30 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    10.00 News at Ten; Weather
    10.30 Local News and Weather

Will ITV take the risk, which includes additional costs, or are we going to see its slow death?