Options

400k of OUR money for failure

Comments

• Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the bbc has done a great deal to move production out in to the regions. but unfortunately the world being the way it is a lot of the stuff simply has to be done in london.

it's been tried and tested and discovered that moving some things out of london actually costs more. why would you presume to be an expert in this? when every other private sector player from qvc to sky, every national newspaper be based out of london. are all these companies wrong and you are right?

Drivel!
  • Options
    JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Tim Davie & Chris Patten call George Entwistle an 'Honourable Man'. What sort of 'Honourable Man' accepts a full years wages of £450,000 of TV license payers money for less than 2 months work?

After seeing the letter from Chris Patten explaining about the payoff, I'am not in the least convinced by it, The BBC Trust are as at fault in offering this payoff as Enwistle is in accepting it. If anybody elses head is to roll, I think it should be Chris Patten as head of the BBC Trust in thinking that in these times this sort of payoff deal is OK.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Who DID abuse Steven Messham?

And why did he think it was the Tory? I mean, it isn't something a person would be likely to forget. :confused:
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    JDBaby wrote: »
    Tim Davie & Chris Patten call George Entwistle an 'Honourable Man'. What sort of 'Honourable Man' accepts a full years wages of £450,000 of TV license payers money for less than 2 months work?

After seeing the letter from Chris Patten explaining about the payoff, I'am not in the least convinced by it, The BBC Trust are as at fault in offering this payoff as Enwistle is in accepting it. If anybody elses head is to roll, I think it should be Chris Patten as head of the BBC Trust in thinking that in these times this sort of payoff deal is OK.

If you offered be £450k my moral obligation to say no would be outweighed by my moral obligation to my wife and kids.

yours?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

20 years work at the BBC in total
  • Options
    mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's so nice of Patton to be generous with other people's money.
    To insult to injury Entwistle will get an 800k pension. Compare that to the miserly pensions of those who serve this country in the military and risk life and limb on foreign shores.
    Sick beyond words.

Definitely relevant here. After all, there is a direct pay correlation between being the top dog at one of the largest broadcasters in the world, and being a rank and file soldier. Therefore, they should receive the exact same pension
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not disputing his many years in the BBC, how well he has served in those positions I cannot say. It is the 2 months as DG that in question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you offered be £450k my moral obligation to say no would be outweighed by my moral obligation to my wife and kids.

yours?

Perhaps you are right in that respect, maybe the fault should be more squarely aimed at the BBC Trust for offering it in the first place. It still takes a certain amount of ignorance to accept this money in view of how he will be percieved by Joe Public though.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the reason given by the BBC for the £450,000 payoff which is twice what he is contractually entitled to is that is what the BBC would have had to pay him if they had sacked him and he hadn't resigned. Dear oh dear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you are right in that respect, maybe the fault should be more squarely aimed at the BBC Trust for offering it in the first place. It still takes a certain amount of ignorance to accept this money in view of how he will be percieved by Joe Public though.

i don't necessarily think the money is undeserved in the sense that after a 20 year successful career he has cut it short and reduced his future earning potential for the sake of the bbc.

but i just think it's a gross misjudgement on behalf of the trust in how this would be perceived.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member

It's not redundancy pay: He's getting A YEAR'S salary for resigning without notice:rolleyes:

As for everyone saying his career is in tatters, well ah diddums. It's not as if someone held a revolver to his head and made him take it. It's the top job in an large national institution subject held in contempt by sections of the commercial media and pressure from politicians and an intellectual man like Entwistle must have realised that it wouldn't have been a cakewalk and he would have been treading on eggshells most of the time.

He's welcome to his pension for his service at the BBC, but not a year's salary as DG.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree Patten should also resign he too looks weak and this decision to pay a years money shows us exactly what politicians and those working for the BBC believe that the taxpayer is a mere cash cow to be milked whenever it suits them to do so.

As for being honourable it is not a description that a politician would understand as Patten has demonstrated.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a new tax rate, 98% for all resignation or sacking payoffs.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandoso wrote: »
    Definitely relevant here. After all, there is a direct pay correlation between being the top dog at one of the largest broadcasters in the world, and being a rank and file soldier. Therefore, they should receive the exact same pension

I feel sorry for you if you cannot distinguish between a financial comparison and a moral comparison.
    When has George Entwistle (or any of these BBC cronies) ever put his life on the line for a country that has done so much for him and given him such a comfortable ride.

As for your rank and file comment, are you implying that Entwistle is of superior standing to these so-called 'grunts'?

I, for one, believe that people who risk their lives for this country deserve a bigger pension than a man whose job consists of having lots of behind the desk meetings and posh lunches.

Crazy, I know.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    As an aside, can anyone remember how much Rebecca Brookes got in a pay off and how much outcry there was about that?
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which he paid for over 20 years of service

I'd be interested to know how much someone serving in the armed forces for 20 years gets as a pension, bet it won't be nearly as much as this compulsory, publicly funded gravy train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested to know how much someone serving in the armed forces for 20 years gets as a pension, bet it won't be nearly as much as this compulsory, publicly funded gravy train.

£800k is not an unrealistic pension for a teacher.

like it or not he was on a good wage. his pension is actually worryingly small. someone on £450k a year would typically have pension worth £5m-£6m

but don't let me stop your outrage. i demand all soldiers have pensions larger than chief executives of £5bn companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it does seem odd that all these people are calling for a cut in public sector pensions. it's not the people you normally expect.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the outrage at this does amuse me.
  • Options
    terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im wondering what george has been doing there for 20 years -- he must of had a very cushy existence prior to this mess.

He completely collapsed under pressure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you can't compare all pensions to those of soldiers.

he worked for the bbc for 20 years. the £800k pension is not per year, it's the entire fund. which he has been paying in to for those 20 years. it would equate to a pension income of about £40k pa.

how much did you imagine someone earning £450k pa would have in their pension fund? because £800k is about what a teacher could expect.

As far as I can see his pension is about £59k p/a how many teachers are on that level of pension do you think?

Given an average salary of say £35k for 20 years work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tokenting wrote: »
    im wondering what george has been doing there for 20 years -- he must of had a very cushy existence prior to this mess.

He completely collapsed under pressure.

maybe you could google it? or read the bbc article Profile: George Entwistle.

but no he didn't have a cushy existence prior to this mess. he's been nominated for baftas. a producer at newsnight, on the record, panorama.

it's funny that you think you can trash the man. i suspect what he lacked was managerial experience.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    As far as I can see his pension is about £59k p/a how many teachers are on that level of pension do you think?

More head teachers than BBC heads, I'd warrant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »

Given an average salary of say £35k for 20 years work.

If he's getting £59k from a pension fund of £800k i must find out from whom.

do teachers only work 20 years?
  • Options
    mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for you if you cannot distinguish between a financial comparison and a moral comparison.
    When has George Entwistle (or any of these BBC cronies) ever put his life on the line for a country that has done so much for him and given him such a comfortable ride.

As for your rank and file comment, are you implying that Entwistle is of superior standing to these so-called 'grunts'?

I, for one, believe that people who risk their lives for this country deserve a bigger pension than a man whose job consists of having lots of behind the desk meetings and posh lunches.

Crazy, I know.

Well feel free to lobby the government on that. Sadly there aren't pigs flying past my office window, which is what it would take for a soldier to have a bigger pension than a CEO type figure