Val Doonican

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know it was very unfashionable if you were young in the seventies to like this, but I actually found his shows good entertainment, esp his Irish novelty songs like O Rafferty's Motor Car and he tended to have decent guests like John Denver and Crystal Gayle. Some of my best friends are songs.

Comments

• biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Val,Glenn A :)

My uncle used to have an album of the comedy songs of val Doonican and every time we went round to his house ( late 60s) we put it on.
    Delaney's Donkey,O'Rafferty's Motor Car,Paddy McGinty's Goat..loved them all.

Happy memories.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    He may not have been the coolest person in showbiz but he always came over as a really likeable bloke a bit like a favourite uncle.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Val,Glenn A :)

My uncle used to have an album of the comedy songs of val Doonican and every time we went round to his house ( late 60s) we put it on.
    Delaney's Donkey,O'Rafferty's Motor Car,Paddy McGinty's Goat..loved them all.

Happy memories.

The World of Val Doonican, there's still a copy in the house. One of showbiz's genuine nice people, my grandmother met him in the late 60s and said he was genuine.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what he makes of whats been going on recently?
  • RainbowsEndRainbowsEnd Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has brought back many happy memories of his show, songs and my childhood. My brothers and I used to find saying his name backward the funniest of things. Try it! Amazing how you can remember things from 45 yrs ago all of a sudden!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has brought back many happy memories of his show, songs and my childhood. My brothers and I used to find saying his name backward the funniest of things. Try it! Amazing how you can remember things from 45 yrs ago all of a sudden!

Yes, 20 million people loved his shows and he discovered the legendary Dave Allen. Also popular guests seemed to be Lynsey de Paul( now which show didn't feature her in the seventies) and The Kings Singers.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked val doonican, thought he had an excellent singing voice, so pure, so rich.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liked val doonican, thought he had an excellent singing voice, so pure, so rich.

Yes he could switch easily from a difficult ballad to a comedy song. I know the punk rockers and the trendies hated this show, but the ratings suggested he was very popular. Some of my best friends are songs, now my special guest Miss Lynsey de Paul, would you like to sing a duet with me, Lynsey?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this thread mean he's dead:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Wonder what he makes of whats been going on recently?

True . For a moment I thought he'd joined the list of offenders .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

No I just wanted a nice discussion about a very popular show from the past.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    No I just wanted a nice discussion about a very popular show from the past.

Never mind the show or the guests, his cardigans were legends !!! :D
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved his shows and saw him live once at Coventry Theatre. The Christmas Eve shows on BBC 1 were legendary. There was also a 'World of album' volume 2...I have it!!( Amongst many other recordings of course!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind the show or the guests, his cardigans were legends !!! :D

Oh yes and his rocking chair and the mock stained glass window. At his height Doonican had 25 million viewers and his show was only cancelled as he wanted to retire.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aahh the memories
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

I thought he'd died ages ago as we never seem to see him on TV at award evenings etc.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old Val, Mr. Clean, rocking in his chair, at least they have nor arrested him yet like many stars of the 60s :D If they ever arrest him I will be amazed.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Good old Val, Mr. Clean, rocking in his chair, at least they have nor arrested him yet like many stars of the 60s :D If they ever arrest him I will be amazed.:cry:

I very much doubt there's any skeletons in his cupboard. He's been married for decades and was never known to hang out with creeps like Jimmy Savile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I loved watching Val Doonican with my parents when I was a child. My favourite bit was the end of his shows when he sat on his rocking chair wearing a lovely jumper and he sang a ballad. My favourite back then was Scarlet Ribbons, although now I'm particularly fond of Elusive Butterfly. These songs bring back such very happy memories of my childhood. My dad died when I was only nine, but listening to Val reminds me of Dad, and also my late uncle, who honestly looked exactly like Val Doonican.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I very much doubt there's any skeletons in his cupboard. He's been married for decades and was never known to hang out with creeps like Jimmy Savile.

Rolf Harris for starters, would he have been mixed up with creeps like Savile?
  • Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I loved watching Val Doonican with my parents when I was a child. My favourite bit was the end of his shows when he sat on his rocking chair wearing a lovely jumper and he sang a ballad. My favourite back then was Scarlet Ribbons, although now I'm particularly fond of Elusive Butterfly. These songs bring back such very happy memories of my childhood. My dad died when I was only nine, but listening to Val reminds me of Dad, and also my late uncle, who honestly looked exactly like Val Doonican.

We always watched this as a family when my sister and I were children. I love 'Elusive Butterfly too. My mum taught me and my sister Paddy McGinty's goat and then went on to teach it to my son and daughter. Happy memories :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    I thought he'd died ages ago as we never seem to see him on TV at award evenings etc.

BBC4 did a documentary about him a few years back whih featured the guy himself being interviewed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He retired when he was 60, feeling his show had run its course. Most of the time now he spends between his home near London, where he plays golf, and in Spain.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This brings back memories :) loved Val even tho I was a bit young and he wasn't "cool" just something very calm and kind about him. As someone said, like a favourite uncle :)