Options

The Sally pimping is getting ridiculous

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    sally is in a different league to either andrea or Leanne however , just because they might appeal to a similar demographic doesn't cover the gap in quality

I was completely unenthusiastic about either of the two previous winners because they were just so *meh*

sally gives me goosebumps every time she sings

quality is quality regardless of age , genre or style
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get this pimping argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4smiffy wrote: »
    I just don't get this pimping argument.

its usually an argument that the more frequent conspiracy theorists use when their favourite isn't likely to win
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I work in television and I can tell you there isn't a single television channel or production company going for an older demographic. Every time you pitch something they ask you to skew it young.
  • Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    People asked the same questions after Leanne won and then again when Andrea did. And the show came back both times with healthy ratings (higher ones for the blind auditions this time if I'm not mistaken).

I think of the audience don't really care too much about picking the singer that'll have the most success after The Voice (they know that contestants who don't win these types of shows can still be successful). They vote for whoever compels them to. And if that's Sally, then so be it. I don't believe her winning or not winning will have any bearing on the future of the show.

This. The future of the show will be decided on if they think the 6/7 mill + or whatever the average is good enough
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I work in television and I can tell you there isn't a single television channel or production company going for an older demographic. Every time you pitch something they ask you to skew it young.

I'm sorry but in my opinion this is wrong. I don't have to work for a TV station to know that TV shows prioritise RATINGS above all else because that's what the contracts are based on and where the money comes in. So if they're trying to gain more viewership what's wrong with that?

Anyways, logically surely Saturday night TV is geared more towards families who won't be out partying? It's the young adults/teens who are going to be out on Sat hardly the families i.e. children, parents, grandparents, older demos?

And actually you're quite wrong when you say no production company. It's what the XF's tried to do this year. The X Factor moved towards older themes this series and older songs in an effort to get older viewers back after they switched off in bulk last series which tried to modernize the XF and appeal to youngsters. They even stated as much. And it's also why people like Chris Maloney and Sam Bailey get all the votes...it's because more older demos are watching it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    People asked the same questions after Leanne won and then again when Andrea did. And the show came back both times with healthy ratings (higher ones for the blind auditions this time if I'm not mistaken).

I think of the audience don't really care too much about picking the singer that'll have the most success after The Voice (they know that contestants who don't win these types of shows can still be successful). They vote for whoever compels them to. And if that's Sally, then so be it. I don't believe her winning or not winning will have any bearing on the future of the show.

Because the show was on a three year contract. It would have come back anyway. This year is when the contract expires. They want a commercial artist more than ever right now! It'll play a part in whether the contract gets renewed or not. :)

Also good contestants will come if they feel the Voice is delivering on their promise and feel if they would have an actual commercial future. You can't look at Andrea/Leanne currently and go 'Oh I think I'm going to audition for The Voice because I may have a potential future ahead of me'. Better contestants = more ratings. Simples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Pimping? I think you are imagining things. Watch the x factor if you want to make conspiracy theories that might be taken seriously.

Lol it must be nice to live in the bubble where The Voice is all about The voice. :) Unfortunately there is just as much manipulation in the Voice, have a look at Christina's pimp slot today for example. Sally's pimp slot from last weekend. The tears, the sob stories, the running order, the staging, the lousy song choices...it's all there actually.

@mimik - I see being as passively aggressive as ever especially with that 'someone angry about their favorite not doing well' comment. As I've said multiple times on this thread...I like Sally a lot but her winning will not do the show good. I prefer her to Christina in fact. Christina winning would be better for the show imo. It's as simple as that. Again who my favorite is has nothing to do with it.

As for conspiracy theories - some of you seem to be under this weird impression that pimping/manipulation doesn't exist on this show??? :confused: Really? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol it must be nice to live in the bubble where The Voice is all about The voice. :) Unfortunately there is just as much manipulation in the Voice, have a look at Christina's pimp slot today for example. Sally's pimp slot from last weekend. The tears, the sob stories, the running order, the staging, the lousy song choices...it's all there actually.

@mimik - I see being as passively aggressive as ever especially with that 'someone angry about their favorite not doing well' comment. As I've said multiple times on this thread...I like Sally a lot but her winning will not do the show good. I prefer her to Christina in fact. Christina winning would be better for the show imo. It's as simple as that. Again who my favorite is has nothing to do with it.

As for conspiracy theories - some of you seem to be under this weird impression that pimping/manipulation doesn't exist on this show??? :confused: Really? :o

lmao at you calling me passive aggressive

care to explain what the pimping you see happening is ?

I have never denied its existence or that producers will happily attempt to manipulate viewers , I just haven't seen any of that with regards to sally , other contestants have been given far more favourable "pimping" than she has as has been explained earlier in the thread

I couldn't give a toss tbh who wins or loses these shows , I watch it for entertainment and in the hope of maybe hearing some good music , maybe you should try it sometime ;-)
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The standard of the singers this year is very good and far better than the XFactor.
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    The standard of the singers this year is very good and far better than the XFactor.

Agree 100%!

This season's The Voice is exposing what is fundamentally WRONG about X Factor. Every person who has entered The Voice has a genuine talent. That is why the standard is so high.

Compare this bunch to promotional tools Olly Murs and 1 Direction. Sally took a cr**** Olly Murs song and actually made it sound credible. It takes talent to do that.

The artists stand out in The Voice. On XF the prominence is focused on the idiotic insincerity of the judges.

;-)
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This "pimping" of Sally accusation is ridiculous. The positive comments are absolutely sincere and realistic imo.

As soon as I heard Sally, I was taken back to when genuine talent made good. Sally could make a very commercial album. I would certainly buy it. She is a brilliant translator of a song.

That said Christina should win and is the one capable of being a world star.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the show was on a three year contract. It would have come back anyway. This year is when the contract expires. They want a commercial artist more than ever right now! It'll play a part in whether the contract gets renewed or not. :)

Also good contestants will come if they feel the Voice is delivering on their promise and feel if they would have an actual commercial future. You can't look at Andrea/Leanne currently and go 'Oh I think I'm going to audition for The Voice because I may have a potential future ahead of me'. Better contestants = more ratings. Simples.

The show had a 2 year contract to start with. The cost of £22 million was widely whinged about at the time.

This show is about exposure. If the public vote was the only measure of success why has Becky Hill (a losing semi finalist from the first series) done so well?
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    This "pimping" of Sally accusation is ridiculous. The positive comments are absolutely sincere and realistic imo.

As soon as I heard Sally, I was taken back to when genuine talent made good. Sally could make a very commercial album. I would certainly buy it. She is a brilliant translator of a song.

That said Christina should win and is the one capable of being a world star.

Shouting does not equal a good voice, imho of course :)

Sally has no need for shouting, nor for any histrionics, which is a very pleasant change
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    This is the first year I've taken an interest in the Voice and I am very impressed at the quality of singers.

I don't see any 'pimping' going on ( I'm not keen on that word, in fact it took me a few paragraphs to realise in what context it was being used :blush: )

As to the productions, I didn't notice any favouritism or anyone getting more theatrics than anyone else :confused: They did whatever was needed to suit the song fairly IMO. Folk singers are telling a story, they very rarely have anything else happening in the background as it's not needed, so I doubt Sally will ever want twirling dancers all around her.

All Christina had was a box, and a changing pattern on her frock.

So far I haven't seen anyone being pushed forward as the winner, it seems all very fair to me.

I was certainly put off Christina last night but only by her conduct after the song. I didn't 100%, believe all that display of emotion.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the addition of Kylie and these song choices, it's very obvious what the BBC are trying to do and that's trying to get to gain viewership with the older demographics.

I'm not sure Kylie or the song choices last night could be said to be appealing to an older demographic. Kylie will appeal strongly to the 18-35's and several of those tracks were very recent (my 59 year old radio 2 listening dad didn't know most of them!).
    I was certainly put off Christina last night but only by her conduct after the song. I didn't 100%, believe all that display of emotion.

Or we could say she was massively stressed a bit overwhelmed and it wasn't exactly professional but hopefully she'll be a bit more held together from now on.

Tbh every time I read personal 'I don't believe it, she's fake' comments it just comes across like someone who has decided they don't like her and are looking for justification for their feeling.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Kylie or the song choices last night could be said to be appealing to an older demographic. Kylie will appeal strongly to the 18-35's and several of those tracks were very recent (my 59 year old radio 2 listening dad didn't know most of them!).

Or we could say she was massively stressed a bit overwhelmed and it wasn't exactly professional but hopefully she'll be a bit more held together from now on.

Tbh every time I read personal 'I don't believe it, she's fake' comments it just comes across like someone who has decided they don't like her and are looking for justification for their feeling.

I was at her Blind Audition. When she'd just finished singing, all the lights in the studio fused and she was extremely over confident! She was really showing off, no sign of any nerves whatsoever. Most people who were stranded on that stage for 20 minutes would have been a bit nervous/shaky/upset. She honestly is one of the most confident people I have ever seen.

And that's why I didn't believe a single "tear" yesterday, which miraculously disappeared 30 seconds later. She's got a future as an actress when she doesn't win this!
  • Options
    MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glad it wasn't just me who felt that.

I try not to judge people unfairly merely from a tv show but sometimes there is just something about a person one cant take to...

On the talent front Christina certainly has a great voice. I'm not a fan of vocal gymnastics though - for me Sally when she sings makes every word mean something - whilst with Christina she could be singing anything - the words meant nothing.

I cant wait to hear Sally sing again - which says it all for me - Sally and Jermain are the two contestants I look forward to hearing. :)
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    ...isn't the pretense of the show to find NEW talent?

Nope, it's to find the best voice, and Sally has that by a mile.
    Sally has a stunning voice and should be judged for that alone.

A statement which defeats your argument.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I was at her Blind Audition. When she'd just finished singing, all the lights in the studio fused and she was extremely over confident! She was really showing off, no sign of any nerves whatsoever. Most people who were stranded on that stage for 20 minutes would have been a bit nervous/shaky/upset. She honestly is one of the most confident people I have ever seen.

Not entirely sure why standing around on a stage waiting for a technical fault to be fixed would be considered as stressful and nerve racking as singing live on TV for the first time in front of 6-7 million people...

Sorry but you absolutely cannot psychologically profile someone's personality based upon such moments as 'oh she was over confident to my eyes in this situation so she must be faking it'. You will get your judgement wrong more often than not. It's just as likely that she lacks self confidence or is very nervous and over compensates to hide such feelings.

I don't like the girl, I don't dislike the girl and tbh I thought nothing at all of her tears beyond 'that's very stressful, she needs to keep it together from now on though'. Hey, she might have been faking it but to say she so clearly was smacks of 'seeing what you want to' to me!

Christina is more likely to have these judgements placed upon her because she's seen as a 'threat'.

As for Sally - nice singer, not particularly interesting, a bit 'samey'. I'd like to see her sing something more upbeat.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally definitely isn't my usual taste but there is something about her that draws your attention and means you're completely mesmerised by her.

I think her performances so far have shown absolutely why youngsters should never be given emotional, heartfelt songs to perform without having the life experience to understand the story they're telling
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »

Not in my case. She's my 2nd favourite, just marginally behind Sally. :D
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest the only reason I'm still watching the Voice is because of Sally ...and to a lesser extent Chris.

I seriously doubt that there are any things going in sallys favour - she just appeals to a lots of viewers.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firemblemcraze, your 'pimping Sally' accusation falls down when you realise that the coaches made choices about their final teams before the recorded shows (filmed back in November) were aired.

If they were really manipulating in favour of their viewers, as you imagine, would Will have been allowed to dispense with Anna? Would he have even wanted to? (his credibility must have taken a dent for that decision, seeing as she has become a wee bit of a YT sensation since the show first brought her to the wider public's attention).

Other examples can be made of course, but this is the perhaps the most obvious one that can be backed up by hard numbers. The Voice viewers - the same demographic that Sally appeals to - liked Anna. A final with both those ladies in it would potentially be more interesting (and thus a better ratings grabber) than the one we will get in 2 weeks time.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina is just another person who thinks shouting is singing, Sally has a gentle presence about her and a lovely haunting voice and there is a place for her in the industry. She needs no props, gimmicks, revealing costumes - nothing, just her voice which is what the show is about.