Why do people put themselves through the hell of bank holiday travel?

Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
Forum Member
✭✭
As with every bank holiday, the papers are full of how we can expect clogged up motorways and a general nightmare in terms of trying to get anywhere this weekend.

I've always wondered why people put themselves through this time after time. Even if days off from work are limited, couldn't you just book what you do have going spare and go and do something then? That's what I'd do. I've never gone anywhere on bank holidays (at least not in several years) because of not only the traffic but the crowds when you get to where you're going. I can't see any appeal in it at all.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always bemused me as to the sheer volume of people who all pile into their cars to get away for the bank holiday weekend. And they all seem to be out on the road at the same time as well - do they not realise that everyone else will be there as well ?

If i was ever in that situation of wanting, or needing, to get away for those 4 days, i'd either try and make plans to go late the night before or very early on the friday morning.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always bemused me as to the sheer volume of people who all pile into their cars to get away for the bank holiday weekend. And they all seem to be out on the road at the same time as well - do they not realise that everyone else will be there as well ?

If i was ever in that situation of wanting, or needing, to get away for those 4 days, i'd either try and make plans to go late the night before or very early on the friday morning.

It's like these people think they HAVE to do it. I truly don't understand them or their urges.
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wondered this as well. But I guess it's the people who have little brats that pile onto the roads for a break away. I guess they can't go other times cos of term time and in summer, places charging double.

I'm child free:D happy enough to stay at home.

Seeing the clogged up roads,trains etc......on the news, I just laugh and think 'you mugs'
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Because they need to get somewhere?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not often you can get 4 days off as a family together. So I suppose when they get to their destination the nightmare is over.

That said, we don't go anywhere because it's always busy especially at Easter weekend, but we don't have kids and can take off any Friday and Monday within reason to have a nice long weekend somewhere, because even four days away from your normal day to day life in a different place is very relaxing.... Can be relaxing.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Around here they could have gone away for 4 days (or more) at any time in the last two weeks, annual leave permitting, because the kids have been on holiday for that time.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are off tomorrow to join the throngs on the road. OH was busy and couldn't get away any earlier. He was finishing a roof. We are going early and coming back late on Sunday.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Because they need to get somewhere?

I took the question to mean: why do people travel on bank holidays if they don't need to!
  • ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like these people think they HAVE to do it. I truly don't understand them or their urges.

Because they are sheep - baa, baa............................................................
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with every bank holiday, the papers are full of how we can expect clogged up motorways and a general nightmare in terms of trying to get anywhere this weekend.

I've always wondered why people put themselves through this time after time. Even if days off from work are limited, couldn't you just book what you do have going spare and go and do something then? That's what I'd do. I've never gone anywhere on bank holidays (at least not in several years) because of not only the traffic but the crowds when you get to where you're going. I can't see any appeal in it at all.

Thoughts?
    What's nice is that we have an empty road for once, as everyone has gone home, but if we went out then roads to Tesco would be chocka. We used to join the throngs of shoppers, but it's too wearing, so think I'll stay in and pop out later in the day for an hour or so. :D

I think why people go away iis it's something they've always done and want to keep with tradition. :)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the best things about being retired. Stay at home when things are busy and expensive. Go away when it's quieter and cheaper - and stay away for twice the amount of time that those how travel at peak times do, for less than half the cost!

Now I know why my pension is going further than my salary ever did!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I blame the weather forecasters, as when the weather is glorious they advise motorists to take this opportunity to make their unnecessary journeys.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... i remember the richard stilgoe bank holiday "traffic jam shows" on radio 4. he used to urge gridlocked car travellers to wind down their windows and shout "radio 1 makes your brains fall out" along the motorway .......
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's the freedom of the open road car ownership endows

toad of toad hall syndrome

toot toot
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    ML11 wrote: »
    Because they are sheep - baa, baa............................................................

Or they want to go and visit family, or it's the only time they can get together as a family. This sheep nonsense is ridiculous now. If anyone is baa baaing is the same people who say the word sheep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    What's nice is that we have an empty road for once, as everyone has gone home, but if we went out then roads to Tesco would be chocka. We used to join the throngs of shoppers, but it's too wearing, so think I'll stay in and pop out later in the day for an hour or so. :D

I think why people go away iis it's something they've always done and want to keep with tradition. :)

Another thing I don't understand, why do people always rush to the shops on bank holidays and weekends when they are heaving and you can't even get enough breathing space to properly examine what you might buy? I feel so fortunate I am able to shop when I like. I can't handle the crowds at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Or they want to go and visit family, or it's the only time they can get together as a family. This sheep nonsense is ridiculous now. If anyone is baa baaing is the same people who say the word sheep.

Yes, I agree. People who are quick to cry "sheep" at everything have become the new sheep! :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Only 2 buses an hour today. They were not running to time and standing room only. It is ridiculous that in modern times, they still observe silly Sunday timetables.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 2 buses an hour today. They were not running to time and standing room only. It is ridiculous that in modern times, they still observe silly Sunday timetables.

Surely you can survive these few days out of the year? Everyone deserves a break from work now and then.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Surely you can survive these few days out of the year? Everyone deserves a break from work now and then.

I work every day apart from Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work every day apart from Sunday.

Ah, fair enough. But I still say people who are able to deserve the break a bank holiday can provide. Is it really so hard to find other forms of transport, like a taxi or even riding a bike just for these days?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thoughts?

i could really eat an ice cream right now with a flake in it
    Forum Member

You're lucky - we have no buses at all on Sundays or bank holidays, and only one bus an hour the rest of the year! And we live on the outskirts of a town, not in a rural area.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    never have any money anyway over Easter and its always the same locally

1) Too expensive
    2) Places closed
    3) Everyone has same idea and everywhere is packed
    4) Its boring

Unless you have lots of money or get away when there isnt traffic jams your alright, if your not its 4 days of boredom.
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    never have any money anyway over Easter and its always the same locally

1) Too expensive
    2) Places closed
    3) Everyone has same idea and everywhere is packed
    4) Its boring

Unless you have lots of money or get away when there isnt traffic jams your alright, if your not its 4 days of boredom.

Sounds like you need to be a bit more imaginative. I'm at home nearly all the time and never seem to run out of things to do!