Options

Yaya Toure thinks he doesn't get recognition because he is African

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27074317

What a load of nonsense.

Sometimes i wonder if some footballers have a brain at all.

I don't know anyone that doesn't rate Toure very highly, everyone knows he is a world class footballer. He also says Drogba and Eto'o are also undervalued because they are African.......................uh, hold on, weren't these two considered 2 of the best payers in the world at their peak ?

Pure ignorance from Toure. He has caught the Sol Campbell bug, seeing racism where there is no racism to be seen.

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more like attention seeking .....
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great player would get into any team he chose to play for, But **FACEPALM**
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Isn't Toure the best paid player in the EPL after Rooney on something like £250k a week? That's a lot of financial recognition!
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't he short listed for player of the year? what more does he want?
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    He should sign for Everton. They'd be a perfect match.

We need to set up a recognition helpline for these poor, unrecognised souls who actually get a lot of praise.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of nonsense he has come out with, he has had plenty of recgonition and praise over the last few years
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't he won thr African Player of thr Year for past couple of seasons??

Surley that demonstrates how highly people rate him?!
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure winning an African award tells him too much about his recognition outside of Africa.
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like David Silva, he has been unlucky to have been playing in the same era as Xavi and Iniesta.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, this isn't really a racism thing and he's not totally wrong either, it's the impressions of African football which until very recently was seen as a bit of a joke (that famous clip of the Zaire defender breaking from the wall to boot a free kick away was seen as a shining example rather than an aberration)

Toure's one of the players at the forefront of changing that kind of thinking, but when he says that his defensive frailties are highlighted more than others, there is a modicum of truth in that as there is still a lot of old school thought about football. Similar to Asian players who were plucky novelties for a long time before players like Nakata helped change perceptions.

Toure himself is obviously massively rated and I think he's wide of the mark with how he's regarded, but let's not just go 'aw poor millionaire'. Where he's coming from still has truth to it.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask him to name those who invented interferon, the cancer drug.

Ask him who made all the stuff he owns, all the inventions and advancements in medical science, ask him to name every single one.

For every one he misses, shot a body part with a shotgun. See how much recognition he has for those. Such a pussy.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironically, I sometimes think the African Federation, Nations Cup and by virtue of those, their players are over recognised. Certainly insofar as the teams and players of the Asian and ConcaCaf federations go, their continental tournaments pass with barely a note, despite the top end of teams being of a similar level.

There might be some basis in had he been Spanish/European he would have more reccognition, but it's a defunct argument. You could equally argue had he been Japanese or South Korean, Honduran or Costa Rican he wouldn't be as recognised.

Yaya seems enormously recognised from what I see.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    He should sign for Everton. They'd be a perfect match.

We need to set up a recognition helpline for these poor, unrecognised souls who actually get a lot of praise.

That would be a great signing for us, I wouldn't complain.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I think that in life, if you are lucky enough to have a desirable talent, you should concentrate on that and leave the recognition and praise to the journalists and fans. When you start looking at how people are reacting rather than what you are doing you can lose sight of things.

He's awesome - one of top 5 centre mids in world football, maybe the best current box to box player around. Commentators love him, he gets paid lots of money and he plays at a big club.

It's not so bad Yaya! Maybe you might not get the level of recognition Messi or Ronaldo get but in the overall scheme of things you're doing okay for yourself.

Had he said African football in general doesn't get the credit it deserves he'd maybe have more of a point but even then you could quite fairly say that, although there have been great individual talents from Africa, they haven't quite managed to produce a World Cup winning nation yet. That's the next big achievement for the continent as a whole.

But he's quite specific that he's talking about the treatment of players on an individual basis. That's not my impression of the UK press or fans so let's pretend he's talking about another place specifically or has been done up a kipper by a journalist (seems unlikely reading the article).

George Weah showed me how good African players could be and that's 20 years ago now.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does he expect? Dancing girls at middle eastlands whenever he scores, creates an assist or goes past 2 challenges. He's recognised as a fine midfielder, no more, no less. I can only assume it's his time of the month.
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironically, I sometimes think the African Federation, Nations Cup and by virtue of those, their players are over recognised. Certainly insofar as the teams and players of the Asian and ConcaCaf federations go, their continental tournaments pass with barely a note, despite the top end of teams being of a similar level.

There might be some basis in had he been Spanish/European he would have more reccognition, but it's a defunct argument. You could equally argue had he been Japanese or South Korean, Honduran or Costa Rican he wouldn't be as recognised.

Yaya seems enormously recognised from what I see.

Every player is recognised to a certain extent.

But it is true that Toure would get more recognition if he was English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every player is recognised to a certain extent.

But it is true that Toure would get more recognition if he was English.

What recognition are you and the player expecting?
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Like David Silva, he has been unlucky to have been playing in the same era as Xavi and Iniesta.

eh? How's David Silva unlucky? If anything I'm sure he's delighted, he plays alongside these 2 for Spain and they were key players in winning him 3 major championships
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27074317

What a load of nonsense.

Sometimes i wonder if some footballers have a brain at all.

I don't know anyone that doesn't rate Toure very highly, everyone knows he is a world class footballer. He also says Drogba and Eto'o are also undervalued because they are African.......................uh, hold on, weren't these two considered 2 of the best payers in the world at their peak ?

Pure ignorance from Toure. He has caught the Sol Campbell bug, seeing racism where there is no racism to be seen.
    Racism exists even reading the heading of this thread and your post, reflects your ignorant feelings.

Toure does have a point in a lot of respects in that he might feel he is overlooked compared to rooney, ronaldo, messi etc... but I dont feel it is because of his race. He is a phenomonal player but maybe he just wanted to highlight that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    eh? How's David Silva unlucky? If anything I'm sure he's delighted, he plays alongside these 2 for Spain and they were key players in winning him 3 major championships

Oh go away with your reasoned argument & rationale. Super eagle simply cannot cope with such intelligent replies .:D
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/ovin/fifa-world-player-of-the-year-top-10---2000-2012

It does surprise me a tad he hasn't squeaked onto this list yet but not hugely. I wouldn't say "glaring omission". (Apparently neither have Schweinsteiger, Vieira or Ozil!)
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Incidentally, this isn't really a racism thing and he's not totally wrong either, it's the impressions of African football which until very recently was seen as a bit of a joke (that famous clip of the Zaire defender breaking from the wall to boot a free kick away was seen as a shining example rather than an aberration)

Toure's one of the players at the forefront of changing that kind of thinking, but when he says that his defensive frailties are highlighted more than others, there is a modicum of truth in that as there is still a lot of old school thought about football. Similar to Asian players who were plucky novelties for a long time before players like Nakata helped change perceptions.

Toure himself is obviously massively rated and I think he's wide of the mark with how he's regarded, but let's not just go 'aw poor millionaire'. Where he's coming from still has truth to it.
    That Zaire incident was 40 years ago, everybody recognises that African football has advanced greatly since then and it's no longer regarded as a joke.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you asked people to name the World Class players in the PL, Toure would be one of the first mentioned and a pretty unanimous choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toure feels the media should do more to promote African players.

I think we need to promote English players more if we're ever to improve the fortunes of the national side.

I think its down to the Commercial side of the game. All the top European players are have big sponsorships and endorsements and he feel's left out. He has to realise he's not just playing in a different country but a different continent.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    If you asked people to name the World Class players in the PL, Toure would be one of the first mentioned and a pretty unanimous choice.

Yup - the thread we had recently had his name coming up in almost every post. Quality player.