End of New Labour?

HippysteHippyste Posts: 1,904
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to one of the MIlliband brothers (not sure which as I have trouble telling them apart) New Labour is over. Is the Labour party therefore going to have a split like the last time they left office or become New New labour or revert to old labour?

Discuss.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard Milliband D. is already referring to Next Labour.:D
  • HippysteHippyste Posts: 1,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard Milliband D. is already referring to Next Labour.:D

PRICELESS! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a new era for labour. New Labour did lots of good things for this country. Like all governments, it didn't get every single thing right but this country is in a much better state than it was under the previous tory government when public services and buildings were virtually in a state of disrepair.

We had record growth, low interest rates, low inflation, low unemployment etc......

However, a worldwide recession took place which did cause problems but they did as good a job as possible.

I think it's wrong for the Millibands to dismiss New Labour and its achievments. However, it is now time to move on and rebuild and provide an effective opposition particularly since a general election is not very far away in my opinion.
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    Old Labour, New Labour, its still Labour to me and I will always be loyal.
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really fear for the Labour Party if D Milliband takes over. His recent speeches have been full of soundbites and pomposity.

Ed Milliband seems slightly better, but not much.
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the Labour Party. Its the same labour party that has championed most of the good things this country has ever done for its citizens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    Its the Labour Party. Its the same labour party that has championed most of the good things this country has ever done for its citizens.

I know it's the same labour party but hopefully they'll descend into years of infighting like in the good old days.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    How about Neo-Labour, Post-modern Labour or event I Can't Believe It's Not Tories?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    How about Neo-Labour, Post-modern Labour or event I Can't Believe It's Not Tories?

lol "I Can't Believe it's Not Tories" would have been perfect for the Blair years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Can't Believe It's Not Tories?

More like "I Can't Believe They're More Right Wing Than Tories".;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like "I Can't Believe They're More Right Wing Than Tories".;)

Epic! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be more worried about the use of "modern conservitives" that the tories keep using. very Tony Blair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hippyste wrote: »
    I know it's the same labour party but hopefully they'll descend into years of infighting like in the good old days.

Why do you hope that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you hope that?

Because the more time they spend ruining their own party, the less time they can spend ruining Britain.
    Forum Member
    Because the more time they spend ruining their own party, the less time they can spend ruining Britain.

Oh come on now it wouldn't be fair to leave all the ruining to the Tories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe there will be any infighting........now the new coalition on the other hand........
    Forum Member
    I don't believe there will be any infighting........now the new coalition on the other hand........

They are Labour politicians, so there will be plenty of infighting. They may find a bit of time to act as opposition to the government, but it's going to be a few years before they can criticise much and not have the blame directed back at them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on now it wouldn't be fair to leave all the ruining to the Tories.

Who said life was fair?!
    Forum Member
    Who said life was fair?!

Who says it isn't supposed to be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are Labour politicians, so there will be plenty of infighting. They may find a bit of time to act as opposition to the government, but it's going to be a few years before they can criticise much and not have the blame directed back at them.

I think fighting in polical parties is not exclusivly a Labour problem. Remeber the "bastards" as Major refered to them. Cameron isn't excactly popular with Tory grass roots is he?
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Hard Labour?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spanking New Labour?

"Spanky" for short
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New New Labour? Maybe we could then call Blair's labour Old New Labour.
  • SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Hard Labour?

No Labour.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shiny new Cillit Bang Labour — Bang, and the Dirt has Gone :D:D:D

The end of New Labour