Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's an entertainment show.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on every single show, Tess says "vote for your favourite" she doesnt say "vote for the best dancer" so that is what people are doing - Dave is popular, he is alot of peoples favourite despite that fact that he cant dance
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    on every single show, Tess says "vote for your favourite" she doesnt say "vote for the best dancer" so that is what people are doing - Dave is popular, he is alot of peoples favourite despite that fact that he cant dance

Or possibly because of ...
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The underdog last week was Patrick who was dancing with a very visible hand injury and had to learn a new routine at the last moment.

Wonder why the GBP didn't vote for him given its famed love of the underdog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Or possibly because of ...

sorry, you have lost me! what point are you trying to make? because I havent got a clue - sorry!
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry, you have lost me! what point are you trying to make? because I havent got a clue - sorry!

:o sorry

Possibly he is a lot of people favourite because of the fact he can't dance, not despite it :D
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess, Brucie..... always says vote for your favorite, never vote for the best dancer :cool:. Yes this is a dance competition but its an entertainment show and the best dancer don't always go far in the competition; the best dancer don't always win.
    Of course I was sad to see Debbie and Robin leave as she was improving and really loved the whole strictly experience but this is not so surprising to me because this sort of thing always happen sooner or later in the serie. A good dancer leaving at the detriment of a bad dancer : it is the nature of the show.

Dave is the worst dancer left but he has every right to still be in the competition because at the end of the day, people voted for him to stay there. There you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes he does have every right to be in the competition but increasingly his presence at the expense of better dancers will leave an unpleasant taste in many viewers mouths.

On the other hand I would love to see him win in order to see the producers reap the consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    :o sorry

Possibly he is a lot of people favourite because of the fact he can't dance, not despite it :D

yes, that as well :D
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes he does have every right to be in the competition but increasingly his presence at the expense of better dancers will leave an unpleasant taste in many viewers mouths.

On the other hand I would love to see him win in order to see the producers reap the consequences.

Clearly you have forgotten Series 6, when media-fuelled John Sergeant mania threatened to propel an even greater non-dancer to the glitterball trophy. This is next to nothing.

The only thing the producers care about are the ratings. And if Dave helps keep them up, so be it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, JS was a better dancer and less irritating all round! If he had won I suspect Strictly might not still be around now because it would have seemed just like another ITV talent show. One of the things that makes Strictly work is the conceit that at some level, however basic, it is about dancing. For John or Dave to win would immediately expose this canard and many of its loyal fans (those that do care about the dancing) would jump ship. Of course I could be completely wrong.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seems to be the price paid for the Dance Off. People vote to keep someone out of the DO rather in the competition. :(

Some of the most ill tempered years have all had controversy over who was in the dance off.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, JS was a better dancer and less irritating all round! If he had won I suspect Strictly might not still be around now because it would have seemed just like another ITV talent show. One of the things that makes Strictly work is the conceit that at some level, however basic, it is about dancing. For John or Dave to win would immediately expose this canard and many of its loyal fans (those that do care about the dancing) would jump ship. Of course I could be completely wrong.

I can’t imagine there’s many dance competitions putting complete novices up against dancers of a high standard. Strictly‘s not purely a dance competition, it’s always been an entertainment show that combines the two. It is for anyone and everyone interested in watching and anyone watching can vote.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member

I might be wrong, because I didn't watch the first series, but I think the closest a celeb who really couldn't dance has got to winning was the Eastenders boy in series one, who I think came second. So you could argue that 'bad' dancers have been part of Strictly from the beginning, and a great deal of the enjoyment of the show for a lot of people. I think just as many would stop watching if all the celebs were as good as Natalie as they would if Dave won (which I don't think he has a chance of doing). The mix works, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    I can’t imagine there’s many dance competitions putting complete novices up against dancers of a high standard. Strictly‘s not purely a dance competition, it’s always been an entertainment show that combines the two. It is for anyone and everyone interested in watching and anyone watching can vote.

Yes but so far (with, arguably one or two exceptions) the best dancer has won. John had to resign in order not to upset the apple cart. He's a savvy BBC man.

The longer Dave stays in the clearer the panel will be that he needs to go. If the public love him so much or want to put two fingers up to the panel so that he wins it will be interesting to see how successful Strictly might be in 2014. I suspect that Dave winning will be a 'jumping the shark moment' for the show but we will see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I might be wrong, because I didn't watch the first series, but I think the closest a celeb who really couldn't dance has got to winning was the Eastenders boy in series one, who I think came second. So you could argue that 'bad' dancers have been part of Strictly from the beginning, and a great deal of the enjoyment of the show for a lot of people. I think just as many would stop watching if all the celebs were as good as Natalie as they would if Dave won (which I don't think he has a chance of doing). The mix works, imo.

you are 100% correct, Christopher Parker who danced with Hanna Karttunnen came second to Natasha and Brendan
  • Options
    PoenaPoena Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are 100% correct, Christopher Parker who danced with Hanna Karttunnen came second to Natasha and Brendan

Hate to be a pedant, but he didn't exactly dance with her, did he? I mean, not really.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poena wrote: »
    Hate to be a pedant, but he didn't exactly dance with her, did he? I mean, not really.......

sorry, should I have put danced in inverted commas?
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but so far (with, arguably one or two exceptions) the best dancer has won. John had to resign in order not to upset the apple cart. He's a savvy BBC man.

The longer Dave stays in the clearer the panel will be that he needs to go. If the public love him so much or want to put two fingers up to the panel so that he wins it will be interesting to see how successful Strictly might be in 2014. I suspect that Dave winning will be a 'jumping the shark moment' for the show but we will see.

John didn't have to resign. He wasn't under exclusive contract to the BBC then and isn't now. There was nothing 'savvy' about it. If the voting figures leaked to the press at the time were accurate (and hindsight proved them to be in every other respect), he would certainly have made the final and could have won. He chose to go - that's very different.

I would argue Series 6 was a low point for SCD as the producers and judges were so badly at odds with the public's tastes, and it reached the point where the battle lines were virtually drawn. It's to be hoped that lessons have been learned from that - but anything is possible. I don't much want Dave to make the final - but Strictly is ultimately the public's show, not the judges', and the producers should ignore that at their peril ...

SCD isn't all about 'the best dancer', i.e. most technically gifted, winning. It's about watching celebrities learning to dance - we invest in them as characters just as much, if not more so, than in their dance abilities. That is the format of the show - like it or not.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None dancers have always been part of the show but not everyone watches Strictly although it has millions of viewers. Equally IF Dave did wins there'd be hugh tabloid interest and that could bring in more viewers the following year to see if there‘d be a repeat of what they‘d missed the previous year.
  • Options
    PoenaPoena Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry, should I have put danced in inverted commas?

Possibly. It was just a jest, Olive.:)
  • Options
    PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    John didn't have to resign. He wasn't under exclusive contract to the BBC then and isn't now. There was nothing 'savvy' about it. If the voting figures leaked to the press at the time were accurate (and hindsight proved them to be in every other respect), he would certainly have made the final and could have won. He chose to go - that's very different.

I would argue Series 6 was a low point for SCD as the producers and judges were so badly at odds with the public's tastes, and it reached the point where the battle lines were virtually drawn. It's to be hoped that lessons have been learned from that - but anything is possible. I don't much want Dave to make the final - but Strictly is ultimately the public's show, not the judges', and the producers should ignore that at their peril ...

SCD isn't all about 'the best dancer', i.e. most technically gifted, winning. It's about watching celebrities learning to dance - we invest in them as characters just as much, if not more so, than in their dance abilities. That is the format of the show - like it or not.
    Indeed those lines were drawn because the judges were adamant that Rachel would win and Tom would not. That year I had won Tom as my draw in the office sweepstake and I was adamant he would win. :D I'm glad he did just to make the point that the judges' views are not sacrosanct. I'm sorry Rachel lost as she was a very good dancer. I'm thoroughly glad that Lisa was not one of the final 2. Yes, Austin was robbed as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe some people are seriously discussing "if Dave wins" scenarios - The GBP vote for the 'comedy' act up to a certain point but then the talent always takes over eventually. Not a single genuinely potential winner in any of these type of shows has ever lost out to the 'comedy act' yet despite the amount of hand-wringing that goes on.

Dave will be out in the next couple of weeks and then people will find another couple to whinge about because they are 'favoured by the producers' or 'over-marked' or 'arrogant' or whatever the percieved crime of the moment is
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The underdog last week was Patrick who was dancing with a very visible hand injury and had to learn a new routine at the last moment.

Wonder why the GBP didn't vote for him given its famed love of the underdog.

Because he was neither very good nor very entertaining and he wasn't at the bottom of the leader board. He therefore slipped under the public radar a bit.
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave is likeable but neither a good dancer or particularly funny, Mark can dance better and has genuine comic talent. Fortunately the duff dancer usually doesn't make the final stages and hope that is the case again this year.