Options

What would you do in this situation?

Comments

• Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could he be going for adverse possession? If my memory serves me right he has to tend the land for 10 years and proove it. And the council will have to do the same to keep it! Ide send a letter to the council saying you believe this is what he may be upto!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pumuckl wrote: »
    This is sound advice I think. Especially since you've mentioned that you and the neighbour do speak to each other and say Hi. He might not know that you are currently not too well. You should not take this bid of land on if you don't feel up to it and short of doing so anyway, or contacting the council, this may be your only option because I feel that you won't be able to just ignore the weeds.

He knows I have been very ill, but I think he thinks, because I am now much better that I should be doing everything right away. I just dont have the time and to be honest the inclination to take on another job, that to my mind was unnecessary for him to take on in the first place. I think if he was willing to take on the whole plot then he would have planted on the whole plot, to my mind he took it upon himself to pull up all the shrubs rather than just those his side and so therefore should do the whole thing.

I am just going to get some ground cover plants and plant them, when I have the time. I cant see me doing it this season, so he will just have to wait until I grow them from seed.

As my daughter said, "what's he going to do, complain to the council" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Could he be going for adverse possession? If my memory serves me right he has to tend the land for 10 years and proove it. And the council will have to do the same to keep it! Ide send a letter to the council saying you believe this is what he may be upto!

I'm pretty sure that does not include tearing out slow growing shrubs that the council planted. Its not untended as such, it was planted so that it was no/ low maintenance for the council.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that does not include tearing out slow growing shrubs that the council planted. Its not untended as such, it was planted so that it was no/ low maintenance for the council.

Thats good news but so long as they tend it more than once every 10 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Thats good news but so long as they tend it more than once every 10 years
    I don't believe that someone can tear up a established and self tending patch of land, then say they have been tending it and claim it as their own after 10years. It has to be a already untended land before they started to tend to it. Anyway that is a moot point as he is a council tenant and is only tending half a tiny bit of land.

I'm sure the council would be more interested in finding out why he tore up established shrubs and then left half to go to nettles and other stingers to catch playing children who might use the path as a cut through. Also my own grandchildren who are to tiny to step over them.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was ignoring it... but now he is putting all the weeds along my path, so me and my visitors have to step on nettles and thistles etc I have very young grandchildren who walk round that pathway if the weather is wet and they cant walk on the grass.
    It seems really clear to me: it isn't your land, it is the council's land and therefore it's their responsibility.

You don't have a problem with him, you have a problem with the council's lack of maintenance. Phone highways (or whoever - and in fact, I'd write, recorded delivery... or maybe email and attach a photo) at the council and ask them to come and cut down their weeds as they're causing a problem on your path and you don't want your young grandchildren getting scratched and stung.

What your neighbour is doing on his side is nothing to do with you - you want the weed problem dealt with and it is the council's responsibility. He's choosing to go off-piste, you don't need to follow him.
    I'm sure the council would be more interested in finding out why he tore up established shrubs...
    They probably wouldn't care and probably have no idea what was originally planted there anyway. Council records aren't always that great and the turnover of staff is often high. This probable lack of interest in doing anything other than get rid of your weeds is why I think it is the way to go.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Councils do, every now and then, take an inventory of their land. One was done here a few years back. It gives them the chance to survey, take note, attend anything that may need it etc. They also compare deeds or previous inspections to the current state.

For this reason I would leave absolutely well alone. It is not your property or your neighbours and councils have been known to follow up on cases like this. He could be accused of theft, because he has effectively 'stolen' council property, and/or vandalism. If you were to tend this plot, you would be equally responsible.

At the least they may fine him for remedial work. I'm certain that you would want to be no party to that.

You could, as suggested in posts above, contact the council as the area now needs attending but, as for doing anything yourself - just don't, and if your neighbour ever raises it with you I would reply with the above.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 12 years to claim Squatters Rights not 10. I know a guy who did it and claimed a plot of land from the council. He had to prove he had tended and worked the said piece of land for 12yrs with no comment or objection from anyone.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humdrummer wrote: »
    Councils do, every now and then, take an inventory of their land. One was done here a few years back. It gives them the chance to survey, take note, attend anything that may need it etc. They also compare deeds or previous inspections to the current state.

Correct.

Council's maintain an asset register, which involves housing officers inspecting the land they own every few years to revalue it.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant a leylandi and forget about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered the good old fashioned way of just going to speak to him and see if you can come up with a plan? It affects both of you and together you are the best suited to come up with a mutually agreeable plan! The added benefit is if he likes to garden, he may be willing to help with some tasks you are not able to do at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have already spoken to him about the fact that I was so ill that my own gardens have gone to pot and its taking me a very long time to sort them out as I dont have the time, energy or money to do it all at once.

I have nothing against him doing that bit of land if that is what he wants to do, what I do mind is him bending all the weeds over so they are laying on my little pathway. To my mind he is clearly saying " Do something with these weeds" I have bent them back so they are laying on "my half" clearly telling him I'm not ready to do anything with them, if ever. He has created a problem where there wasn't one and having thought about it, I'm not going to do anything I have way to man y other important things on my mind and taking my time.

If he bends the weeds again then I shall take photos and send them to the council and ask them to tend that bit of land.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him in a non- threatening way that you are going to ask the council to do their duty and tend to their land. Say you have noticed the weeds are coming up and that you do not have the energy or money to take on the extra bit of gardening. If he does not want council intervention he can tend to the whole plot.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I have already spoken to him about the fact that I was so ill that my own gardens have gone to pot and its taking me a very long time to sort them out as I dont have the time, energy or money to do it all at once.

I have nothing against him doing that bit of land if that is what he wants to do, what I do mind is him bending all the weeds over so they are laying on my little pathway. To my mind he is clearly saying " Do something with these weeds" I have bent them back so they are laying on "my half" clearly telling him I'm not ready to do anything with them, if ever. He has created a problem where there wasn't one and having thought about it, I'm not going to do anything I have way to man y other important things on my mind and taking my time.

If he bends the weeds again then I shall take photos and send them to the council and ask them to tend that bit of land.

There are quite a few 'I thinks' and 'to my minds' in your posts in this thread. You have no idea what his actual motivations are. You don't even know that it was him who bent the weeds. Could have been someone walking over the land, wildlife, etc. I think you are over-reacting, to be honest. Just forget about it, if you don't have the time or inclination. But as someone else has already pointed out, squirting some weed killer on the worst of the weeds takes very little time and effort. Less effort, indeed, than getting out your camera, taking pictures, sending it to the council, and so on. If you really can't manage that, can't your daughter do it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd leave it as it's not your land. Have you spoke to your neighbour? I'd call the council about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him in a non- threatening way that you are going to ask the council to do their duty and tend to their land. Say you have noticed the weeds are coming up and that you do not have the energy or money to take on the extra bit of gardening. If he does not want council intervention he can tend to the whole plot.
    As I said, I have already spoken to him about my health and lack of time and money. I just don't feel the need to say it again as it's not done any good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    There are quite a few 'I thinks' and 'to my minds' in your posts in this thread. You have no idea what his actual motivations are. You don't even know that it was him who bent the weeds. Could have been someone walking over the land, wildlife, etc. I think you are over-reacting, to be honest. Just forget about it, if you don't have the time or inclination. But as someone else has already pointed out, squirting some weed killer on the worst of the weeds takes very little time and effort. Less effort, indeed, than getting out your camera, taking pictures, sending it to the council, and so on. If you really can't manage that, can't your daughter do it?

He did it as no one else goes that way and the weeds were laying down in a way that could only have been deliberate, also a coincidence that he weeded and put manure on his bit the same day

Weed killer cost a lot of money and half of them don't work anyway sending a photo via email costs me nothing
    My daughter has two children under three and works full time. I might have asked for help if it were my job to do it but not because someone has decided that they want to pull up perfectly good plants and only replant and tend half of them.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Trample on his plants in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Trample on his plants in the middle of the night.

Very tempting. :D
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, I have already spoken to him about my health and lack of time and money. I just don't feel the need to say it again as it's not done any good.
    But also... you should not feel you need to justify - by explaining your health or money situation - why you aren't doing work on something that isn't yours. You don't own the land - if your neighbour has different ideas, that's up to him.

To me (admittedly, someone with no difficulty in saying "no" to something I don't want to do!) it is so simple: you don't want to spend time, effort, money or thought taking on a problem that your neighbour caused by pulling out the established shrubs. Your stance is entirely reasonable so don't let yourself be bullied (either by your own worried thoughts or by the actual behaviour of your neighbour) into taking it on.

And while weedkiller is a good idea, in practice you have to have the right weedkiller and you have to be very very careful not to get any spray on adjacent plants - your neighbour's. Even with the targetted spray or gel weedkillers (which are expensive) great care needs to be taken in order not to have collateral damage and seriously irritate your neighbour.

ps: if the council does come out to deal with the triangle, if your neighbour says anything to you, you can just say that when you found the weeds had grown so much that they'd fallen all over your path :D it was obvious that asking the council to deal with their problem on their land was the most sensible course of action. ;-)
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very tempting. :D
    Hi Sweetpea,
    I didn't make clear what I was saying.

You have not been well, you are on the mend, you can do without this hassle and without the work involved.

Instead of digging and hoeing, two full cans of weed killer, takes the effort out of things for you.

However if you are not a great gardener or really the thought of---.

Speak to him/her, let the them do with the land what they want.

Living next door to a keen gardener can be tiresome and their keenness or possibly mild obsessiveness with their hobby should not become your problem or at your expense to health.

But if you can't do or not interested in up-keeping shift position and talk to them, after all it is their effort and hand on heart, in most instances, is it not nice to wake up to a tidy piece of land?
    Keep well. :)
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You certainly need to avoid spending any money. Some councils get very upset with individuals who interfere with council land, although it can take some time for the council to get round to doing anything about it. If the council knew in detail what had happened they might insist on your neighbour putting shrubs back at his own expense.

Rather than going to the council itself have you thought of approaching your local councillor? He, or she, may well be used to dealing with this sort of problem and may be able to talk to your neighbour instead of you having to confront him.
  • Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely do nothing .I certainly wouldn't want to be bullied or made to feel guilty about your side .If he keeps dropping stuff on your side I would brush it over towards the side that's yours and leave it there - to show him that you aren't going to do anything about it .Why should you ? you're not up to it , you don't have the cash or the inclination .
    I'd take delight in showing him that he's the one with the problem about it , not you .So say nothing , do nothing .He'll soon get fed up !!
    good luck
    B.x
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he been living there long? I'd tell him that the council survey the land every year and the last tenant who de-bedded their shrubs and vandalised their property received a fine and was made replace the shrubs.

I know you don't want any bad feeling but you have to play him at his own game - if not get one of your family to do it or even get your child to confront him. Don't let him get away with it as he'll be happy once his side is looking nice and bountiful.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know you are not too keen, but just put the entire matter in the hands of the Council and let them deal with it.

So what if he thinks you reported the matter. The Council could do a spot check at any time (under their own steam) so he could think you reported him anyway.

I doubt it'll cause ill feeling. The land is not yours - ultimately it's the Council's responsibility.

Good luck sweetpeanut .... personally I'd get the strimmer out and level the lot! :)