Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Johnny Vaughan and the other two lads have been a real success. I love his house dj stuff. Very entertaining and hope he is given more airtime.

Jeez, the journo on with Alan Brazil this morning was hard to listen to. Came across terribly stuttering etc.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matbur wrote: »
    Johnny Vaughan and the other two lads have been a real success. I love his house dj stuff. Very entertaining and hope he is given more airtime.

Jeez, the journo on with Alan Brazil this morning was hard to listen to. Came across terribly stuttering etc.

I was going to post something similar. I was interested in the subject he started with (Arsene Wenger's 'rant' regarding the 'transfer' of Frank Lampard to Man City breaching Fair Play Rules) but actually couldn't get the gist of it because of all the stuttering and the 'ums' and 'ums ums' and gave up. But to be fair this is his broadcast so hopefully he will improve, apparently his 'pieces' for the Daily Mirror are really good.

Sidebar: Why is a story written in a daily newspaper a 'piece'? Whatever happened to an article? Yep, I know, pedantic of me:D
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha some bloke just won a prosthetic leg on Colin Murray. Don't have it as something you can win, if you don't actually have one Talksport!
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone is interested enough to want to listen to it if they've not already heard it but I've just put the Two Mikes Summer Special Show [01] on YouTube in it's full entirety with every single bit of garbage edited out so all you get are the two Mikes larking around and talking about general things.

To be honest I've not heard it myself yet properly but I will be doing shortly, editing usually means you don't hear all the show while you are doing it so I'm looking forward to hearing it in full. I know as much as it's not all football they talk about and for me this is a brilliant step forward there are many listeners out there male and female that will be very happy to hear these two are back and not just talking about Premier League football.

I'm thinking about putting it on every week while it lasts.

http://bit.ly/1tN9I9o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone at talksport must have read my post on H&J not having much variation in substitutions when H or J are absent because James Brown is on with Paul today, should be interesting.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who missed the previous to last week time Vaughany stood in for Murray (ie me), a couple of those shows are still available on the TS listen-again feature. Here`s the link to the Thursday show (Mon-Wed only available now in the truncated Podcast version):

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1401958800

I think it`s only available for today but Friday`s (6/6) show should available for another day. Just listening to the 5th now and there`s some great stuff on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone is interested enough to want to listen to it if they've not already heard it but I've just put the Two Mikes Summer Special Show [01] on YouTube in it's full entirety with every single bit of garbage edited out so all you get are the two Mikes larking around and talking about general things.

To be honest I've not heard it myself yet properly but I will be doing shortly, editing usually means you don't hear all the show while you are doing it so I'm looking forward to hearing it in full. I know as much as it's not all football they talk about and for me this is a brilliant step forward there are many listeners out there male and female that will be very happy to hear these two are back and not just talking about Premier League football.

Thanks for that, will definitely catch up at some point. I do miss listening to the two Mikes now that I'm not working nights.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However there are many names that could do a sterling job at presenting the show if an actual journalist is not required, such as Nat 'Natty' Coombs, Ian 'Dants' Danter or many of the other top presenters on the books of Talksport.

Good call - I've said it before, but I think he's very good and is underused by the station.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm afraid that it looks like the Two Mikes Summer Special was a one-off, given that the football season begins this weekend with Matchday Live, Call Collymore and Football First all returning to the typical talkSPORT Saturday schedule. That said, with there being no 5.30pm football commentary on Saturday I notice that after Call Collymore ends at 7pm, Football First isn't back on the airwaves with a Transfer Tavern scheduled for 7-10pm and then a (presumably repeated) edition of My Sporting Life on between 10pm-midnight. If feedback to the Two Mikes was good, I'm sure they could bump that probable repeat of MSL and stick them on again on Saturday evening instead.

Thanks for uploading Saturday's show Billy. I actually downloaded the podcast from iTunes which doesn't appear to be as well edited as yours - the podcast runs to 2 hours 27 minutes, but it includes some of the news bulletins and a few gaps of dead air in the later hours which should have been chopped out.

I listened to most of the show - I've still got the final half hour to listen to - this afternoon and have to say that much of it tickled me; highlights including MG being a mean dad and leaving £100 at a cashpoint, MP recounting a few caddish holiday dating disasters and Porky's hairbrained scheme to turn postmen into special police constables by fitting cameras to their hats. It's jovial, harmless, knockabout fun, not to be taken too seriously. It won't be for everybody but the Two Mikes clearly have a cult following and this will have been right up their street - it wasn't too tied to sport or restricted by the conventions of a format in the way that their mid-morning show was.
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Someone at talksport must have read my post on H&J not having much variation in substitutions when H or J are absent because James Brown is on with Paul today, should be interesting.

Well I don't know if anyone reads our posts, but I too had suggested on here that I'd like to hear James Brown getting the chance to be involved in other shows on top of The Warm-Up and the newspaper reviews on the Sports Breakfast - I suggested him as a panellist on Colin Murray & Friends, which he did last week (albeit with Johnny Vaughan) and I also thought it would be interesting to hear him paired with Paul Hawksbee in the absence of Andy Jacobs. Just to note that this was a planned cover shift, as Andy had booked Monday off in order to spend the weekend at the Edinburgh Festival, so it wasn't a case of them roping in James in the event of an illness.

I listened to the final hour of today's show and I really enjoyed Paul and James' pairing. I wasn't aware that they already knew each other, having worked on the same floor of the same building when Paul edited 90 Minutes and James edited Loaded magazine, but their familiarity with each other showed and lent itself to making the show a very decent listen IMO. James got into the spirit of things (like Johnny Vaughan, I think it's clear that he listens), interacted well with the guests and didn't try to dominate proceedings, seeming happy for Paul to lead things as usual. He's a funny guy and I enjoyed hearing him in a different setting. Hopefully the feedback they got from today's show is good because I'd much rather hear James as the go-to stand-in for Andy instead of Sam Delaney.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that it looks like the Two Mikes Summer Special was a one-off, given that the football season begins this weekend with Matchday Live, Call Collymore and Football First all returning to the typical talkSPORT Saturday schedule. That said, with there being no 5.30pm football commentary on Saturday I notice that after Call Collymore ends at 7pm, Football First isn't back on the airwaves with a Transfer Tavern scheduled for 7-10pm and then a (presumably repeated) edition of My Sporting Life on between 10pm-midnight. If feedback to the Two Mikes was good, I'm sure they could bump that probable repeat of MSL and stick them on again on Saturday evening instead.

Thanks for uploading Saturday's show Billy. I actually downloaded the podcast from iTunes which doesn't appear to be as well edited as yours - the podcast runs to 2 hours 27 minutes, but it includes some of the news bulletins and a few gaps of dead air in the later hours which should have been chopped out.

I listened to most of the show - I've still got the final half hour to listen to - this afternoon and have to say that much of it tickled me; highlights including MG being a mean dad and leaving £100 at a cashpoint, MP recounting a few caddish holiday dating disasters and Porky's hairbrained scheme to turn postmen into special police constables by fitting cameras to their hats. It's jovial, harmless, knockabout fun, not to be taken too seriously. It won't be for everybody but the Two Mikes clearly have a cult following and this will have been right up their street - it wasn't too tied to sport or restricted by the conventions of a format in the way that their mid-morning show was.

That's a bitter pill to swallow if true what you say but it had crossed my mind of course that the footy kicks off very soon and I had been thinking this is a very strange time for them to introduce a new general debate non sports show, or as near as damn it a new general debate non sports show if you like. It's disappointing because having heard some of it already this afternoon it's good fun, these two are so much better doing this type of show, in fact 100% better, people like me long for this stuff to come back, yes only shared with the football because we love that as well but something like 6.00am to 10.00pm sport and 10.00pm to 6.00am general debate/current affairs.

Not everyone agrees naturally but it was the biggest mistake they've ever made morphing into a chat station for the English Premier League. :(

I'll be leaving my edited version of the Two Mikes Show on YouTube indefinitely if they make no more it might become a collectors piece. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, will definitely catch up at some point. I do miss listening to the two Mikes now that I'm not working nights.

Glad you'll be giving it a listen frosty mate. :p
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,970
    Forum Member
    Chris Davies (I think) and Danny Kelly having a bit of a ding dong about boxing - the former wants it banned!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sent off my email tonight to Liam Fisher the talkSPORT programme director regarding the Two Mikes Summer Special Show, knocked off how I feel about a few things but I know it'll do no good it's like trying to get through to RightHandPillar. :D

QUOTE:
    "Dear Mr Fisher,
    Just a few lines to thank you personally for introducing the new Two Mikes Summer Special Show to the schedule I really enjoyed it very much and would love it to continue but I won't be holding my breath because I realise your now an all Premier League talk station.

The repetitiveness of the current schedules dismays me enormously but this was always going to happen when you changed your format, there's simply not enough material to cover football 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I'm pretty sure you will disagree with that but as a loyal listener since the very first day's broadcast on the14th February 1995 when the station was under the banner of Talk Radio UK and also as a football lover as well that is my true and honest opinion.

One day I hope you bring back shared sport with current affairs similar to how you had it before there.

Kindest Regards and thanks again for the Two Mikes Show on Saturday. (let's have more)

Peter."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Johnny Vaughan impersonating Durham & Gough.

http://bit.ly/1soafwC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Can't stand johnny Vaughan, just shouts over people and interrupts. Instant station change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't know if anyone reads our posts, but I too had suggested on here that I'd like to hear James Brown getting the chance to be involved in other shows on top of The Warm-Up and the newspaper reviews on the Sports Breakfast - I suggested him as a panellist on Colin Murray & Friends, which he did last week (albeit with Johnny Vaughan) and I also thought it would be interesting to hear him paired with Paul Hawksbee in the absence of Andy Jacobs...

Don't sell yourself short, It's not good for my ego pretending they don't read our posts. :D
    ...I listened to the final hour of today's show and I really enjoyed Paul and James' pairing. I wasn't aware that they already knew each other, having worked on the same floor of the same building when Paul edited 90 Minutes and James edited Loaded magazine, but their familiarity with each other showed and lent itself to making the show a very decent listen IMO. James got into the spirit of things (like Johnny Vaughan, I think it's clear that he listens), interacted well with the guests and didn't try to dominate proceedings, seeming happy for Paul to lead things as usual. He's a funny guy and I enjoyed hearing him in a different setting...

I heard most of it bar a lunch break and he was very good,..... scratch that, THEY were very good. I was wondering how Paul would cope without someone who constantly moans to play off of and he was fine. James was great, he still had a tendency to barge in with his opinion, which you need to do with Johnny Vaughn (otherwise you'd never get a word in) but its not needed with Paul, as he's so placid. He did it less and less as the show went on though, so he obviously realised and altered his approach. I genuinely thought it was a joy yesterday, enjoyed it much more than I have with Andy for a long time.
    ...Hopefully the feedback they got from today's show is good because I'd much rather hear James as the go-to stand-in for Andy instead of Sam Delaney.

THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING!!!!!!! Who wouldn't? lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Chris Davies (I think) and Danny Kelly having a bit of a ding dong about boxing - the former wants it banned!

I HEARD THAT! Couldn't believe what I was listening to. Fair enough you don't like it but don't proper tear into it. Didn't he call it "Legalised thuggery" couldn't believe it, oh and any sport you get marks/scores for isn't a "real sport". Absolute nonsense, loved it when Danny said "I wish this was like Twitter so I could block you!" lol This was only like 5 minutes in as well!! Danny was great last night wasn't as bumbling, I think his summer spent with Danny Baker has helped him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drako316 wrote: »
    Can't stand johnny Vaughan, just shouts over people and interrupts. Instant station change.

I do understand where your coming from on that Drako I used to never want to listen to him either, just lately I've listened more closely and found he's actually very funny when you get into it. (I know you'll disagree strongly) :p
    I'll admit it was the Gough impressions and the slagging of Durham that instigated getting me back listening but now I really quite enjoy it AND it's only one day a week, every day permanently just might be too much lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Well I don't know if anyone reads our posts.........."

Well Matt Forde and Brian Moore certainly do and I strongly suspect they'll be others, I always believed Ronnie read the stuff on here let's face it there's only us and TF where anyone can catch up with talkSPORT chatter they did have a facility on the talkSPORT website I think but they closed it down due to the avalanche of criticism about the station, seems a lot of those people weren't happy bunnies either with how it's run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you'll be giving it a listen frosty mate. :p

Colin Murray has bored me into submission since he's returned so I put the two Mikes special on and I've nearly finished it. I still don't understand why they are on the graveyard shift, its one of the best programs of the stations, top 3 easily imo. The back and forth between them is consistently amusing and the quizzes lol. Seriously need to move them earlier, it feels like such a waste and I hate missing their show. Considering Porky only comes in twice a week, they should put just those two days on earlier 10am-1pm, or 10pm-1am maybe. Way more entertaining than crappy Colin Murray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Murray has bored me into submission since he's returned so I put the two Mikes special on and I've nearly finished it. I still don't understand why they are on the graveyard shift, its one of the best programs of the stations, top 3 easily imo. The back and forth between them is consistently amusing and the quizzes lol. Seriously need to move them earlier, it feels like such a waste and I hate missing their show. Considering Porky only comes in twice a week, they should put just those two days on earlier 10am-1pm, or 10pm-1am maybe. Way more entertaining than crappy Colin Murray.

I've hammered Parry in the past on here because he's a bluffer when discussing football, the exact same with Graham as well because he knows f all about football too but put them together doing general debate and larking around and they are a very good radio double act in my view.

Whoever figured putting them broadcasting football needs looking at, these two are news media guys which Mike Graham knows a lot about, Parry is the lighter side, the funny one but you always need a straight man and MG fits the bill perfectly.

Like you I'd love last Saturday's show to become a regular feature every week at a sensible time like it was on Saturday I've written to Liam Fisher mentioning it but it'll take a lot more than just an email from me for them to shift from their now carved in stone decision to broadcast only English Premier League football content. :(

I found Colin Murray an okay listen for some considerable time after he'd joined the station but he's not weathered well with me I'm afraid and I now don't find him the same, whether it's the strong accent that's done it on me I'm really not sure but I have stopped tuning into it lately.

In my ideal radio world I would have a topical current affairs show in this slot anyway, these next 4 years we are about to undertake momentos endless commemorations remembering the millions of lost souls fighting an horrendous world war, what will talkSPORT be talking about do we think?, Louis van Gaal?, will Wayne stay at Manchester United now he's not been made captain?, Jack Wilshere lighting another cigarette up on holiday? or how long will Big Sam last at West Ham?.
  • ancient wolfancient wolf Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Did anyone hear the last 10 minutes of Kick Off last night?
    Wonderful and poignant broadcasting from Danny Kelly about the centenary of WW1 and his description of the painting Gassed by JS Sargent brought a lump to my throat.
    A lesson to other broadcasters from Mr Kelly.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I HEARD THAT! Couldn't believe what I was listening to. Fair enough you don't like it but don't proper tear into it. Didn't he call it "Legalised thuggery" couldn't believe it, oh and any sport you get marks/scores for isn't a "real sport". Absolute nonsense, loved it when Danny said "I wish this was like Twitter so I could block you!" lol This was only like 5 minutes in as well!! Danny was great last night wasn't as bumbling, I think his summer spent with Danny Baker has helped him.

Why ever not? Just cos you don't agree with him (as do I) doesn't mean he's not entitled to air an opinion. There are many people out there who want boxing banned, fact.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray so much better than that idiot Parry in every way, and they have done previews of the lower leagues this week, which is more than most of them.

Just don't see why anyone would want to listen to a self-important right-wing buffon like Parry commenting on current affairs, particularly in this parlous world we are in at the moment. Light-relief, WTF?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever figured putting them broadcasting football needs looking at, these two are news media guys which Mike Graham knows a lot about, Parry is the lighter side, the funny one but you always need a straight man and MG fits the bill perfectly...

When I was working nights and listening every night to Extra Time with MG I don't actually recall being overwhelmed with football or sports stuff. One slightly connected was when the tour de france was going to start and Mike was having a go at cyclists on the road riding in massive pelotons blocking traffic. Very funny. Another was about Brits moving abroad to live because of how expensive Britain is now, and he invited expats on to tell their stories of how they ended up where they live now, which was excellent. These are just two examples, you'll notice I haven't mentioned any of Mike talking about football etc. because I cant remember any, I agree that Mike is knowledgeable of many things but sports less so.
    I'd rather listen to him talk about his old newspaper days rather than Wayne Rooney. At the end of the day, you don't need to be having the same sports stories spouted for 24 hours, there's not an infinite amount of differing views in the world.

I found Colin Murray an okay listen for some considerable time after he'd joined the station but he's not weathered well with me I'm afraid and I now don't find him the same, whether it's the strong accent that's done it on me I'm really not sure but I have stopped tuning into it lately.

I've gone up and down with him, he annoyed me on Match of the Day, won me back at first on Talksport, and now I'm on my way down again. Just finding him incredibly dull at the moment. I don't think his so called "friends" help much, Perry Groves, Danny Murphy and Michael Gray might as well be the same boring person. Des Kelly was good when he was on. Steve Bunce is fine when talking about boxing, that's all. Bob Mills is easily the best "friend" imo. Another problem I have with Colin as well is him talking about Baseball and American Football. I don't mind a quick bit about what's happened across the pond sports-wise but at least do all the sports, Basketball and Ice Hockey never get mentioned in comparison. Do them all or nothing at all. IMO
This discussion has been closed.