Options

Homeless family

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I cannot help but be moved by a heartbreaking eviction in Homerton East London on the Can't Pay, We'll Take it Away program on Channel 5, aired yesterday evening. The tenant, a mother of two, has lived in the flat for nine years but owes over £7,000 in rent after losing her job. The situation is out of her control and she had nowhere to go when she was evicted and social workers say that they couldn't help.

Eventually the local housing department sends her to live in some bedsit in Southend-on-Sea. She & her children will long be forgotten there. She has no income, her status as an immigrant means she can only work but not claim benefits even though she has paid taxes for nearly a decade, unlike some of those dole-bludgers who come here for the benefits. This woman is a hard working mother of two who fell through the gaps in the systems. How is she ever meant to leave Southend on Sea? Is she even still there?

I want to know is there anyway of raising funds and actually getting them to her and her family? I have no idea when the programme was made and where the lady is now? Any help suggestions or ideas and advice are all welcome. IMHO helping one person is the same as helping the whole of humanity and charity starts at home. I sincerely want to help her as I wouldn't ever wish to be in her position. I'm sure people would donate even if it was just a 50p or £1. Every penny or pound counts. Everytime I see something I say I will do X, Y & X but never do or get around to it. I'd like it to be different this time. Why can't I make a difference to her or her family?

++++++++++++++

Comments

• Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should maybe do volunteer work for a homelessness charity or similar. Try http://www.do-it.org.uk/ :)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I understand having sympathy for those in distress. My suggestion would be to make a donation, no matter how small (because they all mount up) to any one of the following legitimate homelessness charities:

http://centrepoint.org.uk

http://www.shelter.org.uk

http://charity.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/donate/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should maybe do volunteer work for a homelessness charity or similar. Try http://www.do-it.org.uk/ :)

Thank you for the link, a fantastic idea. I'm looking into it now :)
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to help that particular family, you could contact the programme makers or Channel 4, maybe? The programme researchers will know who she is and who has helped her in the past.

If you find her through them, they could be an intermediary for a fund-raising page or something. Sort of, donate funds that the intermediary then passes on. There's a bit of trust involved there, though.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What country was she from?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has no income, her status as an immigrant means she can only work but not claim benefits even though she has paid taxes for nearly a decade, unlike some of those dole-bludgers who come here for the benefits. This woman is a hard working mother of two who fell through the gaps in the systems. How is she ever meant to leave Southend on Sea? Is she even still there?

You can't 'come here for the benefits'.

If you could then surely she would be entitled being an immigrant.

Your weird contradictory logic doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this after I read this thread and was really shocked at this woman's situation. I did cry watching it and thought the bailiff man went above and beyond to help her, it was a shame the council couldn't have done the same. It completely broke my heart hearing her children crying like that, she was a very brave woman.
  • Options
    julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot help but be moved by a heartbreaking eviction in Homerton East London on the Can't Pay, We'll Take it Away program on Channel 5, aired yesterday evening. The tenant, a mother of two, has lived in the flat for nine years but owes over £7,000 in rent after losing her job. The situation is out of her control and she had nowhere to go when she was evicted and social workers say that they couldn't help.

Eventually the local housing department sends her to live in some bedsit in Southend-on-Sea. She & her children will long be forgotten there. She has no income, her status as an immigrant means she can only work but not claim benefits even though she has paid taxes for nearly a decade, unlike some of those dole-bludgers who come here for the benefits. This woman is a hard working mother of two who fell through the gaps in the systems. How is she ever meant to leave Southend on Sea? Is she even still there?

I want to know is there anyway of raising funds and actually getting them to her and her family? I have no idea when the programme was made and where the lady is now? Any help suggestions or ideas and advice are all welcome. IMHO helping one person is the same as helping the whole of humanity and charity starts at home. I sincerely want to help her as I wouldn't ever wish to be in her position. I'm sure people would donate even if it was just a 50p or £1. Every penny or pound counts. Everytime I see something I say I will do X, Y & X but never do or get around to it. I'd like it to be different this time. Why can't I make a difference to her or her family?

++++++++++++++

There are plenty more like her and have paid taxes for decades ,some are not lucky enough to get a room or a bedsit as they are sleeping rough. It is a sad situation that is going on all over the country, some of them have fought for the country , the amount of ex servicemen living on the streets is a scandal and a disgrace, single people with no children are not offered even a room to sleep in
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    What country is she from and why is she over here?
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »

Missed the beginning of the program so might have missed something but it was said she came from Ghana and her husband had returned there.
  • Options
    ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »

She was from Ghana. Probably here for an easier life before her husband left her trying to raise two small children in the most expensive city in the UK to live in.

I have little sympathy. You can't expect to live rent free and not be evicted. I'd happily donate towards a one way ticket so the lady can rejoin her husband.
  • Options
    rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the programme and yes that case did come across as a heartbreaking eviction, but we were only given a very basic background into the reasons the lady did not receive any help.
    For all we know she may own a mansion back in Ghana, or perhaps she is an illegal immigrant......................................we really don't know and so should not take the situation on the face value of what was shown during the programme.
    The thing that everyone should learn from the programme is that as far as Bailiffs are concern, the only ones who have any real power are the Bailiffs who are serving a High Court Order (hence their real title of High Court Sheriffs or High Court Enforcement Officers).
    Any other Bailiff or Debt Collector does not have the power of forced entry or indeed a right of entry and seizure, and if the Police are called or involved the Police are only there to ensure there is no trouble and they are not allowed to be involved in any other way.