• Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I ever remember of Scotland is rain
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Indeed. When I think back to the utter nonsense I believed at that age it makes me dead against 16-year-olds having a vote. Just naive, idealistic, impossible drivel unrooted in the real world.

Wasn't it Mark Twain (or Winston Churchill or Ernest Hemmingway or Oscar Wilde etc) who said "Any man of 20 who isn't a liberal has no fire in his belly and any man of 40 who isn't a conservative has no brains in his head"?

Course, if you wanted to be a bit of an arse about it you could, quite legitimately, suggest that a 16 year old simply hasn't done anything to earn the right to vote in the same way that older people have.

Not completely comfortable with using that as an excuse to stop youngsters from voting myself though.
    I guess we just have to accept the fact that youngsters are likely to vote for daft things. It shouldn't really become a problem unless something crazy happens to the birth rate.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen much made of that voting stat. All it told me was that at least there were enough people around who'd lived a lot more of life and have more experience to save the day from the naviety of youngsters, many of whom are still children.

They are ALL adults by law in Scotland. They can work and contribute to the economy, get married, have children, join the army etc. Why shouldn't they get a vote?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've been reading, generally the uneducated, young, or poor voted Yes.

One of the problems with democracy there, the least capable of society have equal say.
    And wrong:

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/23/2/187

Also, what qualities would you include in such a thing? Actually, I can think of what they could be - are you a right wing, christian, monarchy, union loving individual? If not, no vote for you...
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should have made that clear when promising max devo then and publishing a timetable.....a timetable they already haven't kept to.

In what way have they not kept to it?
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glasgow is surely a law unto itself. If you went to the areas with the biggest Better Together votes - Highlands and Islands, Borders - they would think those odious, flag-burning, saluting 'Unionists' were odious nutcases. As of course they were.

I'm not sure. Being raised in the Borders myself, quite a few of my No voting friends have been justifying the abuse and violence with a "the other side started it" stance as well as trying to highlight isolated incidents from idiots who voted yes.

I think there are elements on both sides who have behaved rather badly in this.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    They are ALL adults by law in Scotland. They can work and contribute to the economy, get married, have children, join the army etc. Why shouldn't they get a vote?

Those things only affect them. Voting affects everybody
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Wasn't it Mark Twain (or Winston Churchill or Ernest Hemmingway or Oscar Wilde etc) who said "Any man of 20 who isn't a liberal has no fire in his belly and any man of 40 who isn't a conservative has no brains in his head"?

Course, if you wanted to be a bit of an arse about it you could, quite legitimately, suggest that a 16 year old simply hasn't done anything to earn the right to vote in the same way that older people have.

Not completely comfortable with using that as an excuse to stop youngsters from voting myself though.
    I guess we just have to accept the fact that youngsters are likely to vote for daft things. It shouldn't really become a problem unless something crazy happens to the birth rate.

Great quote!
  • Options
    Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I voted No but never posted on Facebook. What's it got to do with anyone else. In my village they were no voters anyway. Just like many in the Borders.

Does that mean it's safe for me to visit Eyemouth? I am English but I love visiting Eyemouth, probably one of my favourite towns in the country.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've been reading, generally the uneducated, young, or poor voted Yes.

One of the problems with democracy there, the least capable of society have equal say.

You clearly weren't reading the breakdown of the polls that showed very clearly that Yes was getting large support from the middle classes. Here's the last poll published before the vote that had a breakdown by class.... 41% of the ABC 1 grouping voting Yes. Among the CDEs both sides more or less equal.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/18/full-results-times-sun-140917-scottish-referendum/
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is Sweet_Princess who said that 'Scotland lost the referendum' and hasn't answered my question as to how she comes to that conclusion despite me having asked her twice. She has told me however that she takes 2-3 hours to get ready for a night out and does indeed look like a sweet princess. Oh.....she also said that she is 'very educated' ;-)

you could argue that Scotland lost the referendum as it is the aye voters who view themselves as being 'Scottish' rather than 'British' whereas the naw voters who won would be people who would rather be called 'British' than 'Scottish' so therefore the 'Scottish' lost the referendum aka the brave celtic tattooed tartan wearing scots
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    its all calmed down now imo, big relief for me
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why some yes voters are calling foul. Every poll bar one for two years predicted a No win, why were they expecting to win?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I don't understand why some yes voters are calling foul. Every poll bar one for two years predicted a No win, why were they expecting to win?

Because some "yes" voters will grasp at any opportunity to get their own way.

I'm sure the majority of "yes" voters are quietly getting over their disappointment and moving on with their lives but you're always bound to get some arseholes who think that whenever they don't get their way it must be a fix.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Because some "yes" voters will grasp at any opportunity to get their own way.

I'm sure the majority of "yes" voters are quietly getting over their disappointment and moving on with their lives but you're always bound to get some arseholes who think that whenever they don't get their way it must be a fix.

you are ignoring the fact that is has usually been no voting thugs who have been causing the bother recently, last time i read the newspaper, which was a few days ago though
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest from yougov is that the only age category that. Voted yes were the. 26 to 39. All the other 4 age categories voted No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    The latest from yougov is that the only age category that. Voted yes were the. 26 to 39. All the other 4 age categories voted No.

That seems to be different to what's been said so far. Do you have a link?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Cannot find it. But it's been posted on FB.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Electra wrote: »

http://yougov.co.uk/news/categories/scottish-independence/

Then click on the "YouGov - Scottish Referendum Final Prediction" PDF link (currently second top).

ETA - I haven't witnessed any of the discontent mentioned in this thread. If it wasn't for the TV news showing the trouble in Glasgow on Friday, I wouldn't have known any existed. We're all peaceful YES voters around here (and all bar one outside that age category too). ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you are ignoring the fact that is has usually been no voting thugs who have been causing the bother recently, last time i read the newspaper, which was a few days ago though

And who have they been fighting with? Themselves?

You're always going to get tossers on both sides of an issue and they usually have an uncanny knack of finding each other.

None of which has much to do with why some "yes" voters are whining that the vote was rigged.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    All I ever remember of Scotland is rain

such a stupid observation unless you lived on top of a mountain in the NW during a wet period.

smh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/categories/scottish-independence/

Then click on the "YouGov - Scottish Referendum Final Prediction" PDF link (currently second top).

Got it, thanks :)

Well, that is interesting to see, isn't it?
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there's some truth in the disharmony after all.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope all the "things will kick off in Scotland" and "there will be trouble" yada yada are suitably embarassed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there's some truth in the disharmony after all.

:D That's great!