Options

How many programmes can I record at once?

RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,195
Forum Member
I have just tried to schedule a recording on Sky Arts at the same time as two Freeview recordings on my Huawei YV box and it told me I would have to cancel one of the FV programmes to record it. Am I wrong in thinking that I should be able to record two Freeview programmes at the same time as an internet programme? (In this case, it wasn't a problem, since one of the programmes is available on iplayer, but I'm sure I read somewhere that with the new update, it should be possible).

Comments

• Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have had the update, it should do it.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,377
    Forum Member
    Mine will only let me record 2 channels at once either 2 x FV or 1 x Internet + 1 x FV. I thought it would allow 2 x FV & 1 x Internet but that doesn't appear to be he case.

BTW my last update was 27/9/14.
  • Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing this issue too. I can't record an internet channel while recording two Freeview channels. The box supposedly has one IPTV tuner and two DTT tuners, all of which can record, so what is the problem with doing this? You could certainly do it on the old Tiscali PVR.

I'm pleased with the update but this is quite a big drawback. If it could be sorted then it would make the service almost perfect in terms of recording, except that it would be great if they could also find room to simulcast the Freeview channels via IPTV like Tiscali TV did, then we could record for example BBC1, BBC2 and E4 all at once.

Another thing that would be good is a 'seek to' option for rewinding live channels and recordings, including an option to restart from the beginning of the stream, or at least an accelerating 'skip back' when you press and hold the 'skip back' button down. So often I walk away from a TV channel only to come back and find I have missed half of something that I would like to see from the beginning, and there isn't currently a quick way to do this.

So yeah, those things, and throw in HD/multicast IPTV and multi-room options, and we're cooking with gas :) Meanwhile I'll try and be grateful for the long-overdue update!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just run a test and, sadly, this appears to be the case. It is certainly possible to record two Freeview channels, from separate multiplexes, and watch an Internet channel at the same time, but you can only record two of the three. Perhaps the hard drive is only capable of saving two files at a time.

This is disappointing because I am pretty sure I can remember TalkTalk promising that we would be able to record three programmes at once, provided one of them was from the Net. Maybe that feature is in the too hard drawer for the time being, so they concentrated on making internet recording possible first. If so, it will, presumably, appear at some point - but I have no idea whether this is an accurate assumption.

I wonder whether the same restriction applies to the Humax boxes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    I don't subscribe to the TT IPTV service and I find that even after the recent upgrade I still can't record from the Internet. In fact the upgrade hasn't done anything to improve my box. As the previous poster says "I wonder whether the same restriction applies to the Humax boxes."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't subscribe, you won't be able to record from the Internet because the only online services available to you will be the various players (iPlayer, ITV Player etc.) and they are non-recordable. There are a few online services that are now becoming available to Freeview, but these are not currently compatible with YouView.

You don't say how long you have had your box, but if you only acquired it recently, you won't have noticed that its performance was upgraded a few months ago when the current TalkTalk Player launched. Before that, it was seriously slow. Now it is a good deal slicker, but I still wouldn't call it fast. I can live with it, though. I may switch to the Humax box in time, but I am in no hurry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    If you don't subscribe, you won't be able to record from the Internet because the only online services available to you will be the various players (iPlayer, ITV Player etc.) and they are non-recordable. .

Thanks for that. I was a Sky subscriber and became used to all On Demand material downloading onto the HDD. Pity it's missing here but as you say it's one of those things you live with!