Options

Odd Celebrity Encounters

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
Forum Member
I just bumped into Chris Langham in the Tescos near work - he was buying lager. It's the third or fourth time this has happened. A couple of years ago he was in front of me in the queue at the petrol station, and I've seen him once in a local pub & one time in the Spar.

A few years ago, Ian Hislop was often on the same train as me in the morning.

I saw Harry Hill at the cash machine in the village around 6 month ago.

And a few years ago, I was waiting to be served at a bar & realised the guy next to me was Tom Baker.

Anyone else ?

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewart Lee donated a bunch of books to the charity shop where I work last week.

The best, though, is my mate's late dad, who was once apparently bought a pint by Englebert Humperdinck to apologise for Tom Jones being drunk and obnoxious to him in a pub in the Lake District.

And a friend of mine's work colleague's husband (keep up!) left her to go and live with the awesomest punk band ever, Crass, on their commune at Dial House.

Needless to say, she's not a fan.

(Oh, and I once met Buzz Aldrin, but that was kind of planned).
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me, my sis and a friend scared the living daylights out of a couple of ub40 members running towards their car screaming while they were popping into a newsagents

it all ended well tho'
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met several stars and celebrities over the years.

The most famous is Yul Brynner.

A good one that springs to mind is Christopher Lee. I was working in his London flat and had been let in by his wife. He arrived some time later and put his head around the door to say hello - and was about two feet from my face. Scared the living daylights out of me. The flat was very quiet at the time - I was concentrating on what I was doing and throughout my childhood he had been one thing - Dracula.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the members from the boy band Blue (Simon Webbe) asked me if I knew any men's clothing shops nearby.....

Also, in keeping with the boyband theme, I had a long conversation with Jason Orange about pretty much everything. He surprised me alot by being very chatty as he normally comes accross as quiet?

I also briefly encountered Roger Moore when he asked me for directions. He was wearing a floor length white fur coat and looked very regal.

Paul Weller smiled and winked at me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

A good one that springs to mind is Christopher Lee. I was working in his London flat and had been let in by his wife. He arrived some time later and put his head around the door to say hello - and was about two feet from my face. Scared the living daylights out of me. The flat was very quiet at the time - I was concentrating on what I was doing and throughout my childhood he had been one thing - Dracula.

Wow!!!! He's a legend!!! What was he like? I've not read nice things about him though....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

we are not worthy!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's another one..

Back in the late 1980's, I used to regularly see Jimmy Somerville doing his weekly shopping at Safeways in Kilburn

And now I remember it, one evening I was sitting in a curry-house on Kilburn High Road, and Ken Livingstone was at the next table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laska wrote: »
    Wow!!!! He's a legend!!! What was he like? I've not read nice things about him though....

It was a very brief encounter. Found myself sharing a lift with him. Just me and him.

I had to introduce myself when I realised it was him and he was very pleasant about it. Shook my hand, smiled, said no problem at all etc.

I was just a teenager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very brief encounter. Found myself sharing a lift with him. Just me and him.

I had to introduce myself when I realised it was him and he was very pleasant about it. Shook my hand, smiled, said no problem at all etc.

I was just a teenager.

That's amazing! Good to know that he was nice and pleasant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And another one..

In the mid 1990's, I briefly worked as a salesman for the local cable TV provider. One of my rounds was a very affluent neighbourhood in Banstead in Surrey.

It must have been local election time, because one house was festooned with 'Vote Labour' posters - which struck me as odd when I walked up the path.

When I rang the doorbell, it was answered by Windsor Davies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    I just bumped into Chris Langham in the Tescos near work - he was buying lager. It's the third or fourth time this has happened. A couple of years ago he was in front of me in the queue at the petrol station, and I've seen him once in a local pub & one time in the Spar.

A few years ago, Ian Hislop was often on the same train as me in the morning.

I saw Harry Hill at the cash machine in the village around 6 month ago.

And a few years ago, I was waiting to be served at a bar & realised the guy next to me was Tom Baker.

Anyone else ?

Pap or stalker? :D

Although, I have no idea who Chris Langham is.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I went for my driving theory test in Leeds today, and stood outside the test centre chatting to a friend was Russell Howard.

I also saw Hayley Tammadon waiting for a train in the station, and Darren Day was in McDonalds with his wife.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Martin Sheen twice, when I lived in a tiny village in Ireland. He was holidaying.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willie Rushton once passed me a book I couldn't reach in a bookshop in Stratford on Avon.

And I've had dinner with Stephen Fry.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Stewart Lee donated a bunch of books to the charity shop where I work last week.

Was Harry Potter amongst them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bump into a celebrity pretty much every week. Far too many to name here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Willie Rushton once passed me a book I couldn't reach in a bookshop in Stratford on Avon.

And I've had dinner with Stephen Fry.

Dinner with Stephen Fry?

He's on my top ten fantasy dinner party guest list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was just a teenager.

what was he like in the flesh? omg you touched him!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    I bump into a celebrity pretty much every week. Far too many to name here.

Do you work for the mini-cab firm next to the BBC studios?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you work for the mini-cab firm next to the BBC studios?

No, I don't.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dinner with Stephen Fry?

He's on my top ten fantasy dinner party guest list.

Make sure he stays there, he's worth it.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some years back my brother met Mohammed Ali in an hotel in Aviemore.

Actually that's not quite true, because at that time Ali was known as Cassius Clay.

(well I did say it was some years back :o)
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    <Snip>
    Ah, the ambiguities of the English language! Are you saying that you occasionally bump into the celebrity, Chris Langham, or are you saying that he is rather odd and that you have happened to bump into him? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    No, I don't.

;)
    :D:D
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I worked in retail I served Tony Livesey at the checkout.

Jack Straw came in one day and asked for shoelaces, I took him to the stand and then back to the checkout, all the time being shadowed by his bodyguard (he was still in government then).