Just asked about volunteering - rude manager?

jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
Forum Member
✭✭
So I'm off university for the summer and decided to go into a British Heart Foundation Shop and ask about volunteer work. I went in and a girl told me to speak to the manager. The manager heard her and said, "not now I'm going to go for lunch." She said, "it's about volunteering" and the manager replied, "oh well just take their phone number down" and then left. This was in full earshot of myself. I just found it very unprofessional and rude that the manager couldn't spare 5 minutes to talk to me.

On top of that, the girl taking down my details came across as an idiot and I had to correct her several times whilst writing my name and phone number. Now I'm not sure if I want to volunteer there at all. Am I overreacting or was it rude of the manager to behave in that way?

Comments

• SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It's hard to believe but sometimes people drop their guard and forget to be 100% professional 100% of the time. All you can do is hope that this dreadful woman loses her job and her self-respect for not dropping her intention to go for lunch as soon as you asked about volunteering.

Or you could accept that she might have been in a rush and go back some other time, maybe mid-afternoon when it's not so busy, and ask then.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's rude and I wouldn't return. Volunteering has to be about a number of things, the biggest you have to enjoy it. If you don't you won't do your best and it's not the place for you.

Try finding a place which supports a specific local issue like a hospital or hospice. These tend to have (in my experience anyway) people who are a lot more in tune with why they are volunteering. Quite simply, I wouldn't volunteer for an organisation I was uncomfortable with and I have walked away from situations like this in the past with not one bit of regret.

Good on you for making good use of your time too.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're over reacting. And you have no idea what the circumstances were - the manager could have been meeting someone, s/he might have been on a very tight schedule.....loads of things
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    It's hard to believe but sometimes people drop their guard and forget to be 100% professional 100% of the time. All you can do is hope that this dreadful woman loses her job and her self-respect for not dropping her intention to go for lunch as soon as you asked about volunteering.

Or you could accept that she might have been in a rush and go back some other time, maybe mid-afternoon when it's not so busy, and ask then.

On the second point, it wasn't busy at all.

I just think it is unprofessional, I wasn't calling for her to lose her job or anything. I'd just expect better of a manager considering she is the one in charge and that type of poor customer service doesn't reflect well on the rest of the staff/volunteers.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    So I'm off university for the summer and decided to go into a British Heart Foundation Shop and ask about volunteer work. I went in and a girl told me to speak to the manager. The manager heard her and said, "not now I'm going to go for lunch." She said, "it's about volunteering" and the manager replied, "oh well just take their phone number down" and then left. This was in full earshot of myself. I just found it very unprofessional and rude that the manager couldn't spare 5 minutes to talk to me.

On top of that, the girl taking down my details came across as an idiot and I had to correct her several times whilst writing my name and phone number. Now I'm not sure if I want to volunteer there at all. Am I overreacting or was it rude of the manager to behave in that way?

get a grip of yourself.
    jeez talk about an over-reaction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're over reacting. And you have no idea what the circumstances were - the manager could have been meeting someone, s/he might have been on a very tight schedule.....loads of things

Fair enough. Of course you might be right. I just think she could've handled it better as it came across as a bit rude. Something like, "Sorry I'm busy right now but we can take their contact details" would've been better considering I could hear her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    get a grip of yourself.
    jeez talk about an over-reaction.

I said I might be overreacting. No need to be rude.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I just think it is unprofessional, I wasn't calling for her to lose her job or anything. I'd just expect better of a manager considering she is the one in charge and that type of poor customer service doesn't reflect well on the rest of the staff/volunteers.
    You might expect that but sometimes we don't get what we expect. In brief, you're overreacting.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rude people are prevalent in all areas of life, but I wouldn’t class this as particularly rude. She was in a rush to get out at lunchtime, and asked for your details to call you back at a more convenient time. Maybe her tone was a little unprofessional, but she maybe didn’t realise you could hear her. Shop managers are usually busy, even if she wasn’t just heading out for lunch she may have been tied up elsewhere and not be able to spend 15-20 minutes speaking with you, taking your details, arranging a trial shift or whatever at that moment.

Surely this is a good thing then, that you’ll be able to speak to the manager when she’s prepared and ready to listen to what you’ve got to offer, rather than squeezing in a 5 minute chat when she’s busy and frazzled with other concerns?

If I were you OP I’d give her the benefit of the doubt. If you get called in for an interview/chat/whatever then you’ll be able to assess her attitude at that point and decide if you want to work with her or not, but frankly I think you’re overthinking what is a normal human interaction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i can already tell you're not cut out for working in a shop.
    i you think the manager and i was rude to you then you have no idea how the general public will be.

my advice, don't work in customer service.
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you're over reacting at all. She WAS rude. No matter how rushed or busy she was, she could have spoken to you directly and said "I'm so sorry I'm really in a rush right now, could you give your details to Mary and I'll give you a call tomorrow to discuss it"

Choose somewhere else to offer your time - good luck!
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Nope going to agree with the op on this one, very unprofessional, if the manager was in such a hurry for something important, not quite sure how many important meetings a charity shop manager must attend Then she should have the courtesy to apologise and say sorry, "I've got a meeting", so and so will take your details, and I'll phone you later.

If I heard one of my staff, talk like this infront of a customer, they'd be pulled to one side and explained some facts.

You should of said "oh sorry I was looking to donate my £1000 lottery windfall" see how busy she is then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I accept I'm probably overreacting. Just to be clear, I will speak to the manager when she calls and see what happens from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    i can already tell you're not cut out for working in a shop.
    i you think the manager and i was rude to you then you have no idea how the general public will be.

my advice, don't work in customer service.

Rubbish. Venting on an Internet forum doesn't reflect how I would behave towards customers at all. You were rude. Do you think you can go around telling people to get a grip of themselves and that not be seen as rude?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think you can go around telling people to get a grip of themselves

yes i do.
    not everyone likes the advice they get when asked. thems the breaks.
    and that not be seen as rude?

as i said, if you thought that was rude then you haven't been out in the real world yet.
    good luck with that.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I suggest you grow a thicker skin before working in a shop, I wouldn't consider what the manager said as rude in comparison to what customers can be like.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept I'm probably overreacting. Just to be clear, I will speak to the manager when she calls and see what happens from there.

Good for you. She wasn't very professional at all, but not really that rude either. I've found that when I've started a job and dealt with people in the way I'd like to be treated it's sort of rubbed off on other staff there. Depending on how the chat goes, perhaps you could see this as a chance to improve customer service in that branch - it'd look great on your CV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    I suggest you grow a thicker skin before working in a shop, I wouldn't consider what the manager said as rude in comparison to what customers can be like.

Why are people reacting as if I'm sat here crying or something. I just wanted some advice. It hasn't distressed me in any way. I understand customers can be rude and I have worked in a shop before thank you.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Why are people reacting as if I'm sat here crying or something. I just wanted some advice. It hasn't distressed me in any way. I understand customers can be rude and I have worked in a shop before thank you.

Because most people wouldn't bother creating an entire thread based on "perceived" rudeness from one person.

That alone tells us how much it bothers you, most people would have just let it slide.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you said, have a listen to her when she rings you and make an opinion then... There are plenty of other things to volunteer to do and it's her loss not yours .
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst the Manager's reply wasn't particularly professional I think you are overreacting a bit as it may just have been a bad day. I would try again but if the response isn't better next time, just move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Because most people wouldn't bother creating an entire thread based on "perceived" rudeness from one person.

That alone tells us how much it bothers you, most people would have just let it slide.

I was asking if I was overreacting in my feeling of not wanting to volunteer there? After all, I'm giving up my time and don't have to do anything. That question would've remained had I created the thread or not. The creation of the thread is not based on how much it has affected me at all. Had it really bothered me, I would've made the decision myself not to volunteer there and not created the thread. I'm not one to make threads on the daily occurrences in my life.
  • SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are lucky you can afford to volunteer in the summer whilst going to university. Most students have to work ti pay for rental properties and pay off overdraft.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    You are lucky you can afford to volunteer in the summer whilst going to university. Most students have to work ti pay for rental properties and pay off overdraft.

Sorry, but how is that relevant to the OP? It's like someone saying "Why do I get headaches everyday?" and hearing the answer "You're lucky you don't have cancer" or something.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no need to be off hand/rude I agree.

What I now realise about situations like this is that sometimes the person does not mean to be off hand/rude it is just that their mind is somewhere else (you never know they could have just taken a bad phone call /other half is ill / they do not feel well etc) and can not quickly switch back in to a polite mood.

I would just move along to another place and offer your services to them.
    Have you thought about helping out at a dog rescue centre?
    They always need help with walking the dogs and other stuff.

Enjoy your break from uni.