What was the last thing you watched on VHS?

Comments

• tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kids baby videos. I keep meaning to get them put on a DVD and a flash drive. For the moment I keep a VCR in the cupboard.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Rough Cut with Burt Reynolds, Lasley-Anne Down and David Niven a comedy caper with Reynolds as a gentleman thief. Quite fun it was too and cost only 50p from a local charity shop a couple of weeks ago.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly can't remember. My video player is in my cupboard collecting dust and I'm strongly considering getting rid of my last few tapes because I just can't stand the clutter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    cavemen or what

aint nobody heard of clouds?

:confused:
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost for words. It was before it had been released onto DVD & so I bought the video in order to tape it onto DVD in order for my Mum to watch who no longer had a video player. Not long after they released it onto dvd so I needn't have bothered. :rolleyes:
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film "pumping iron" in my garage gym the other day. I often use it for motivation and have an old tv/video combo thing. I still have loads of vhs tapes. I'm not all that fussed about picture quality tbh, they still look fine to me.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Oddly enough I watched a VHS only a few weeks ago, but had to dig it out of the attic.

A visiting friend wanted to see The Beatles Let It Be.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I watch a TV.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last thing i watched on VHS was an old episode of The Big Breakfast from November 2000 just last week!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Yesterday I watched 'Saturday Night Fever' PG version, 1987 CIC Video.
    Tuesday I watched 'The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad'
    Monday I watched 'Back To The Future II' CIC Video ex-rental from SPAR supermarket
    Sunday was 'You Only Live Twice' on widescreen tape.
    Saturday was 'Leap Of Faith' with Steve martin on another ex-rental (middle was chewed up)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last weeks Waterloo Rd, as still got a VHS in full working order, so still use it :p
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Sea Power'.

http://ihffilm.com/363.html

I haven't kept many VHS tapes, but that's one I re-watch every year. It was made just before the Falklands War, is presented by a former Admiral of the Fleet, and is very interesting.

The only VHS tape I've bought since 2000 is 'Rich Man, Poor Man'. It's a 1976 nine hour miniseries on three cassettes. I bought it last year from a YMCA charity shop, for 20p. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know.

Still own a copy of The Muppet's Christmas Carol on VHS that my gran gave me the Christmas before she died. Was really close to her and it's sort of a treasured posession to me. It was probably that, can't be sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    The last thing i watched on VHS was an old episode of The Big Breakfast from November 2000 just last week!

I love it when I watch a recorded film and things like TFI Friday appear after it. Even the adverts seem better.
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lion King 2 (Simbas Pride)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny enough I watched 'Scanners' the other day on VHS with Michael Ironside in it. Found it at a car booty and got it for 50p which I thought was worth it. Absolute classic film and totally original. Oh the nostalgia :D

I've also got 'Class of 1999' on VHS as well but ain't watched that for a while. Awesome film though :D
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was fairly early in getting a DVD player - 1999 - so I think after then the only thing I watched on VHS was a personal recording of a family event from 1997. Once I got a combi DVD recorder in 2005, I transferred it to DVD and haven't watched anything on VHS since. I don't know how people can still watch VHS; the visual quality is diabolical.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was fairly early in getting a DVD player - 1999 - so I think after then the only thing I watched on VHS was a personal recording of a family event from 1997. Once I got a combi DVD recorder in 2005, I transferred it to DVD and haven't watched anything on VHS since. I don't know how people can still watch VHS; the visual quality is diabolical.

I find that I notice the inferior picture quality at first, but soon get used to it. It's the same with any video I'm watching, whether it be on Youtube, DVD, VHS etc. I have a lot of DVDs, and picture image quality varies so enormously from disc to disc, that it isn't really an issue for me.

Also, that 'Sea Power' programme I mentioned has never been released on DVD, and I don't think it's been re-shown on tv since 1981. No other way to watch it apart from VHS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meh, you haven't lived until you've seen the superb audio and visual quality afforded by JVC and their S-VHS system. :D

Anyone here ever 'upgrade' to S-VHS? Still got my JVC jobbies and they're going strong! Only downside was finding S-VHS tapes which were rare as hen's teeth back in the day, never mind now..

Rubbish compared to anything modern but still surprisingly good on short play.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how people can still watch VHS; the visual quality is diabolical.

Home-recorded VHS is...but commercially prerecorded, played through a scart lead is as good as the VAST majority of internet downloads :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Personally, I can't even remember!

Can you?

No idea, can't remember, years.

However still make use if DV

Vhs was rubbish anyway - Beta was much better, last used a couple of months ago, still working 30 year old VCR
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea, can't remember, years.

However still make use if DV

Vhs was rubbish anyway - Beta was much better, last used a couple of months ago, still working 30 year old VCR

Betamax was the better format in the 1970s but was totally outclassed for picture and sound quality in the 1980S when VHS machines became available with 4-6 heads which is why the ancient Betamax system died a sudden death.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    I am working with all mentioned formats. What do you think of this quality - Beta recorded recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBvWJ-k8sTA

Its a music clip from BBC HD.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I am working with all mentioned formats. What do you think of this quality - Beta recorded recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBvWJ-k8sTA

Its a music clip from BBC HD.

Not bad audio but the picture quality is not good with at least one tape guide being way off in the machine. Hard to make a good comparison really since the information has been digitally transferred to Utube
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French videos for an Open University course. That would've been in 2000, 2001.