Options

L!VE TV starts test transmissions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,270
Forum Member
The channel labelled as y8em at 11.426V 27.5 2/3 has now started test transmissions for L!VE TV.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like they have lots of technical problems to solve. the picture quality is extremely poor and currently has green and pink flashes across the screen during adverts.

Phil
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Heh - probably because their equipment has been switched off for three and a half years!

It takes a while for those steam generators to start, y'know! ;)

Simon

PS: Nice to see it back though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by simax
    Heh - probably because their equipment has been switched off for three and a half years!
    LOL ! Maybe a bit on the damp side :p

Phil
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    This along with The Weather Channel, .tv & Country Music TV are the channels that most people were saddest to lose. Welcome back Live TV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    Just been watching it - the quaility of the adverts looks like a tape that has been recorded over 1000 times, the technical quality of the programmes is ok though.

The quality of programmes in general though...well, its what you'd expect from Live TV! ;)
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Chris E
    Just been watching it - the quaility of the adverts looks like a tape that has been recorded over 1000 times, the technical quality of the programmes is ok though.

The quality of programmes in general though...well, its what you'd expect from Live TV! ;)

I don't think those adverts are recent, I think they're off 3 years+ ago. :D

Channel looks ok so far though. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Oh no !!!!!!!!!

i think i'm going to get addicted to Canary Wharf

Todays word of the day is Crapulous

This is going to be a fun channel :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    finally live tv after 3-4 years gone down back in 1999 its coming back the wait is over woooooooooooooooooooooooo
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    All the programming and adverts that they are showing are 3 years old. They even have product flashing ads which have now been banned( the idea behinf these ads was to place that image in your head so when you went shopping and saw that item you would buy it), I hope they start showing new programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think i read they will be showing a mixture of old and new programmes. And I'm almost 100% sure they will have new adverts when it launches...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain what live TV was/is about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Misfit
    All the programming and adverts that they are showing are 3 years old. They even have product flashing ads which have now been banned( the idea behinf these ads was to place that image in your head so when you went shopping and saw that item you would buy it), I hope they start showing new programming.
    I fear you're mistaken. Those "product flashing ads" are not ads at all, they're the channel look. (The most recent 'baked beans' look which Live was running before they went off the air.) - You're thinking of 'subliminal' advertising and that has never been legal.

The green flashes on the ads look like straightforward Beta SP oddness - it'll be nothing they can't fix. This is what test transmissions are for, after all.

I wouldn't lay much money on 'new programming' - that costs money, and that won't happen unless Live TV is enormously successful on satellite. (Which, to be fair, it could well be!) For the moment I'd imagine that Live are going to be operating purely out of their (extensive) programming library. They could adopt the BSB approach and repeat the first three or four years worth of the channel on the basis that nobody saw it first time around anyway. :-)

(Sadly I guess that the genuine heyday of Live TV during the Janet-Street-Porter days no longer exists. I'd imagine that Kelvin recycled the tapes personally.) :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by grahamsoft
    Can someone explain what live TV was/is about.

It was a very trashy Cable TV channel in the late 90's, very little of it is/was Live, and programming includes the news with a bunny jumping up and down in the background, the weather read by dwarfs, a soap with a snog every five minutes, and other similar cheap and tacky but entertaining programmes.

And who could forget Topless Darts :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the carpentry show, "I've got wood!" or the stock market show, "Tiffany's Big City Tips!"
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could adopt the BSB approach and repeat the first three or four years worth of the channel on the basis that nobody saw it first time around anyway. :-)

But they'll obviously need to make new news bullitens - I cannot wait to see this weather midget :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Looks like a good channel from what i have seen Distruction darby, that problem program, toples stoneage darts and sex tv what more does the average 20 + male need on a lonly evening
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I have been watching most of this evening and I have to say - I am hooked! Only had the channel for 6 months when I had Telewest in Scotland - and I loved it then!

It is unfortunate that the channel is re-launching now - it would have been a *PERFECT* addition to Freeview IMHO!

Simon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Live TV looks really good, (You wouldn't even dream of saying that back in 1999, I guess it proves what a load of crap TV has become recently!)

I think i'll be watching a lot of it - can't wait to see the much talked about News Bunny and Weather!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Live TV looks really good, (You wouldn't even dream of saying that back in 1999, I guess it proves what a load of crap TV has become recently!)

I think i'll be watching a lot of it - can't wait to see the much talked about News Bunny and Weather!
    With all of the mainstream channels jumping on the reality TV bandwagon (a.k.a. mega cheap TV), looking at Live TV again, you actually see that they were pioneers.

I think it could be a big success given that the reality TV backlash must be coming over the horizon very soon.

Phil
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great to have you back !!!!

Puts most of the 200+ channels to shame and this is from programming that is nearly 4 years old.

Plenty of home made stuff more than even sky one !!!

Yes some of it may be tacky but it's better than endless teleshopping or the new craze of texting girls to flash there knockers

I hope the weather will be coming back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    According to the website and the advert on the test station itself, L!VE TV starts proper on the 28th July.

The caption on the TV promo says "The Bunny is back... After a three and a half year absence (during which the world was a poorer place) L!VE TV bounces back on July 28th."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by dids858
    Yes some of it may be tacky but it's better than endless teleshopping or the new craze of texting girls to flash there knockers
    I think this is where 3G mobile are hoping the "killer app" is. If these channels survive, then the saddo's that text these channels may help bring the cost of 3G down!!

Phil
  • Options
    -NJ--NJ- Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Sadly what they're showing at the moment is the output from the final days of the channel - the real quality pap was broadcast in the days before it.

It really was like 'watching' a tabloid newspaper, if that makes sense, all the features being day-to-day stuff and topless women - which made it cheap but intriguing viewing!

The day News Bunny entered the Tamworth by-election, got arrested for obstructing the traffic whilst handing out carrots in the street, subsequently released without charge and got almost 400 votes will stand out as one of the best publicity stunts in years :)
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Live TV looks really good, (You wouldn't even dream of saying that back in 1999, I guess it proves what a load of crap TV has become recently!) !

I've never seen it before and already think it's better quality than Friendly TV (i'm not joking either!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very trashy Cable TV channel in the late 90's, very little of it is/was Live
    When it first started - with Janet-Street-Porter in charge - it was almost always live and no where near the seedy image it got towards the end. It was only later when they got that bloke was put in charge and they got rid of most of the presenters, that it became combination between Channel 5 and Men & Motors. The BBC made a documentary of the downfall of L!VE TV a while back which was pretty interesting.