Has Leona Lewis lost it?

Comments

• JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone can have an off day. Listening to her recent performances, she's still got it.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    You said you were shocked...........because it was so bad as to be shocking? At least that's how it read.

No, that's not how I meant it to be read:
    The second half of the video is her singing Bleeding Love and is the worst I've heard her sing it live. I don't know if it was an off performance but I was quite shocked when I heard it.

It is the worst version of BL I have ever heard LL singing live, is what I meant and I was shocked because she has sang it so much consistently better live.
    There is worse. But then theres a handful of off performances compared to many many fantastic vocal performances.

Handful? I'd guess one in 50!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    No, that's not how I meant it to be read:

It is the worst version of BL I have ever heard LL singing live, is what I meant and I was shocked because she has sang it so much consistently better live.

Handful? I'd guess one in 50!

She's performed it hundreds of times, so yes.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    She's performed it hundreds of times, so yes.

My favourite is when she performed it on X Factor for the first time on her 'comeback' after A Moment Like This
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nobody should be compared to Whitney including Leona.- Whitney was a LEGEND!!!
    Artists will have off-days but Leona is an absolutely amazing vocalist and a special singer. Some find her dull and boring but I don't yet I will find some artists dull and boring - each to their own I'll say
  • saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey just quickly scanned this thread but Have you all heard Leona AVE Maria bloody awesome ! operatic ! :D its shockworthy !

https://soundcloud.com/leonalewis/exclusive-album-track-ave-1
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    I think nobody should be compared to Whitney including Leona.- Whitney was a LEGEND!!!
    Artists will have off-days but Leona is an absolutely amazing vocalist and a special singer. Some find her dull and boring but I don't yet I will find some artists dull and boring - each to their own I'll say

Sorry Nastyman while I agree with you Whitney was a gem, Leona is one of a kind...completely irreplaceable. Her voice is just so beautiful and so powerful at the same time. It's like the angelic voice of Lianne La Havas mixed in with the strength of Amy Lee mixed in with Florence Welch's control. It's just the best vocal I have ever listened to...:o
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She definitely doesn't sound very good toward the end of BL, but -

Leona performs a lot of material that pushes her range to its singable limits.Not many singers can comfortably sing high pure notes without pushing into "whistle reg" while maintaining a soft "pop" tone with the agility and ease she usually can.Her voice type is one of the more delicate ones, so when she has a rough night, between these two factors, it really shows.

If she sounded like this regularly, that would be one thing, but her voice and performances in general sound effortlessly beautiful more often than not.
  • supersnakesupersnake Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saxman25o wrote: »
    Hey just quickly scanned this thread but Have you all heard Leona AVE Maria bloody awesome ! operatic ! :D its shockworthy !

https://soundcloud.com/leonalewis/exclusive-album-track-ave-1

This. This silences any doubtful critics. And because we have established the original link was an old performance this thread is kinda irrelevant now.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Nastyman while I agree with you Whitney was a gem, Leona is one of a kind...completely irreplaceable. Her voice is just so beautiful and so powerful at the same time. It's like the angelic voice of Lianne La Havas mixed in with the strength of Amy Lee mixed in with Florence Welch's control. It's just the best vocal I have ever listened to...:o

Leona is actually my favourite XF artist by a crystal mile...no XF artist can touch her, not even Alex Burke who is my 2nd fav XF artist ever :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    As somebody has already pointed out, don't bother rating someone's vocals based on a studio track. Pointless.

They use auto tune on the best of voices, pitching tools, a technique called comping which involves the vocalist singing the same line about 20 times, and then picking the best parts out of each of those 20 clips, then piecing it together to make it sound like one complete vocal.

Didn't know about comping as a vocalist in my teen years. Caused me a lot of stress thinking why can't I sing and sustain in the way they do? Glad I know better now.

As for the vocal on that live clip though, yeah it's not great, but that actually just sounds like she was having a bad day vocally rather than her losing it altogether.

Leona's vocal is and has been trained ever since she began singing so.. likelihood of her falling off, for that reason alone, is significantly less.

Boring? Yes. But you can't take away that talent. Leona is pretty incredible imo ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    And yeah.... Please don't compare Leona to Whitney. She's incredible as I said but, she doesn't even touch Whitney in her prime. Not even close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That performance is nearly a year old... have you heard her recently?
    She is world class
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Rebel,I haven't heard you sing, so I don't know where you are coming from as far as where you got your information or why you think 20 takes would be necessary, but I assure you, many don't need anything close to that, and it is not a rare thing to be able to sustain vocals.

If you click on my homepage under my nick over there <---,it will take you to a page with live recordings,few to zero effects, including some covers demanding more in terms of range/dynamics than Leona's songs, all done live in one take.I am pro but not famous, can do that in single live takes, and am pretty typical of a solid working singer, so I am very curious where you read that excessive studio trickery is so common and necessary and why you believe this.

I completely agree about Leona, though. Her voice and tech are close to flawless,and an off performance or two don't take away from the fact that she's one of the best singers to gain mainstream popularity in this century.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Rebel,I haven't heard you sing, so I don't know where you are coming from as far as where you got your information or why you think 20 takes would be necessary, but I assure you, many don't need anything close to that, and it is not a rare thing to be able to sustain vocals.

If you click on my homepage under my nick over there <---,it will take you to a page with live recordings,few to zero effects, including some covers demanding more in terms of range/dynamics than Leona's songs, all done live in one take.I am pro but not famous, can do that in single live takes, and am pretty typical of a solid working singer, so I am very curious where you read that excessive studio trickery is so common and necessary and why you believe this.

T-Rebel isn't necessarily wrong. In most pop recordings, it is commonplace to comp the vocals and aim for a compressed and very "clinical" sound. Other techniques including doubling as well as layering with several backing vocalists singing along with the lead vocal as seen in songs like Call My Name by Cheryl Cole. Harmonies can also be used to disguise or emphasise a lead vocal.

I would say that Melodyne is far more popular than Auto-Tune in terms of pitch correction though as it allows far greater manipulation of vocals. Most of these techniques are done on even very gifted singers. I think Adele even admitted once that she asks for Melodyne on her vocals which can aid in making a vocal sound more distinctive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack, I am familiar with the technology and how to use it, but I rarely see the need for those extremes.That is all I meant.

Perhaps it is more common with pop vocalists, but honestly, I rarely hear of it being needed anywhere close to that degree by most solid singers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack, I am familiar with the technology and how to use it, but I rarely see the need for those extremes.That is all I meant.

You may not, but for most commercial recordings it is standard, that's what I was trying to get across.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack, that is a myth. I know this for a fact. It is done, but not nearly to that extreme except in the worst of cases(not naming names,but few pop singers are "that" pitchy/tonally challenged, granted . :o:D

If that is what he meant, fair enough, but when it comes to actual singers (not pop figures) it really isn't the case.By rarely see the need,I meant in practice, not as it being just my opinion.
  • supersnakesupersnake Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I completely agree about Leona, though. Her voice and tech are close to flawless,and an off performance or two don't take away from the fact that she's one of the best singers to gain mainstream popularity in this century.

I really enjoyed your cover of Ain't No Way :) Your vocal control is amazing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack, that is a myth. I know this for a fact. It is done, but not nearly to that extreme.

Maybe not 20 takes, but definitely at least 5 or 6 in quite a few cases. Some vocalists have difficultly connecting with the song at first and may need a few takes to "get into it" so to speak, so I don't think it's uncommon even for 10 takes to be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack, that is a myth. I know this for a fact. It is done, but not nearly to that extreme except in the worst of cases(not naming names,but few pop singers are "that" pitchy/tonally challenged, granted . :o:D

If that is what he meant, fair enough, but when it comes to actual singers (not pop figures) it really isn't the case.By rarely see the need,I meant in practice, not as it being just my opinion.

I would agree with that, but I don't think even singers like Mariah have recorded all their tracks in just one take. Especially for pop releases which have quite precise production techniques applied to them which also vary according to the team working on them, especially for those vocally challenged performers, which I'm sure you're aware of. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    supersnake wrote: »
    I really enjoyed your cover of Ain't No Way :) Your vocal control is amazing!

Thank you, Super :)

It's still a work in progress(the timing o that one is tough without all the horns/backingvox/ques,) but I had to give making an acoustic arrangement a try because it's one of my favorite Aretha Franklin tunes.(love her!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I would agree with that, but I don't think even singers like Mariah have recorded all their tracks in just one take. Especially for pop releases which have quite precise production techniques applied to them which also vary according to the team working on them, especially for those vocally challenged performers, which I'm sure you're aware of. :p

Lol fair enough! :D
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so she has 1 bad performance & suddenly she has lost it :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes: