Options

Celebrity Mastermind

Comments

• Options
    RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I think all the celebrities are well known, if you look online the history of the show has a good level. Of course ITV often have clauses in their contracts preventing their stars coming on, as they want them on their quiz shows like Mr and Mrs, The Chase etc.

Tonight isn't all BBC.

John Humphrys asks the questions as four famous faces brave the black chair.

Mitch Benn answers questions on Peter Cook, BBC News presenter

Reeta Chakrabarti on the life and poetry of John Keats,

one half of Sam and Mark, Mark Rhodes, on the World Wrestling Federation and

double Olympic triathlon gold medallist Alistair Brownlee on the Yorkshire Dales.

Only 3/4s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday.

John Humphrys puts four more celebrities in the spotlight
    as former England bowler Graeme Swann tackles the original Star Wars trilogy,

Gogglebox vicar the Reverend Kate Bottley answers questions on Adrian Mole,

BBC Radio 2 DJ Janice Long is quizzed on Echo & The Bunnymen and

musician Paul Carrack answers questions on Sheffield Wednesday.

This is the best lineup of the series, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday.

My girlfriend is an Owl. She'll be watching intently now she knows it's on.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickLopez wrote: »
    Only 3/4s.
    Mitch Benn is a musician first, though works occasionally on Radio 4 hardly BBC. Brownlee is sport, other two more associated with BBC.
    Thank you, so kind. :)
    My girlfriend is an Owl. She'll be watching intently now she knows it's on.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mitch Benn is a musician first, though works occasionally on Radio 4 hardly BBC. Brownlee is sport, other two more associated with BBC.

I don't think he'd be on the programme unless people knew him from his work on the Now Show, so he's there by BBC association.

Well, it is Christmas :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he'd be on the programme unless people knew him from his work on the Now Show, so he's there by BBC association.

That could be an argument for every celebrity, well they were on this or that BBC show.

He is imho a musician first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That could be an argument for every celebrity, well they were on this or that BBC show.

How are Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack famous because of the BBC? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A correction, This is not on Friday, but Next Tuesday.

You misunderstood me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You misunderstood me!

Explain please. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You start..........
    Only 3/4s.

I reply......

:)

You respond......

I answer........

You then say...

So your prior answer was " so he's there by BBC association" we are discussing Mitch Benn, ( well I was);- I respond, " That could be an argument for every celebrity" - that Mitch or anyone could be called BBC by association, if they appear on a BBC show. I was in my mind continuing to consider Mitch, and Mitch is known as a musician first. Now you " jump" to Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack, who I never mentioned in that conversation and seems very random to me. But if I run with that out of context answer/ conjecture, Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack are famous in their own right, but if they appeared on a show, you seem to think they were BBC by association, but imho they are not.

I was rather confused in your answer and why you jumped to Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack? Seemed random.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your prior answer was " so he's there by BBC association" we are discussing Mitch Benn, ( well I was);- I respond, " That could be an argument for every celebrity" - that Mitch or anyone could be called BBC by association, if they appear on a BBC show. I was in my mind continuing to consider Mitch, and Mitch is known as a musician first. Now you " jump" to Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack, who I never mentioned in that conversation and seems very random to me. But if I run with that out of context answer/ conjecture, Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack are famous in their own right, but if they appeared on a show, you seem to think they were BBC by association, but imho they are not.

I was rather confused in your answer and why you jumped to Graeme Swann and Paul Carrack? Seemed random.

Which I assumed to literally mean "every celebrity" and there a couple on Celeb Mastermind who are not involved with the BBC (but not enough, which is my criticism.)

I'm arguing the only reason he's on the programme is because he was on a BBC show, and that his fame outside the world of the BBC would not be enough to earn him his place.

If Swann and Carrack did appear on a BBC show, they wouldn't be on Celeb Mastermind because of that show, they'd be on it because they are both very successful in their fields outside of the BBC.
  • Options
    ytsejamytsejam Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Just saw a recording of last nights show!!....I am astonished that ANYONE could be as thick as that woman on there (sorry, no idea who she is or why on earth she's "supposed" to be a celebrity). It beggars all belief that someone in this day and age is as stupid as she is and whats worse is that she seemed to think it was funny!..No my dear, it wasn't and you should be totally ashamed and embarassed.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what bright sparks we'll get tonight :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday.

On Friday night when this goes out there is a BBC4 double bill of Top Of The Pops 1982 from 7pm showing from 18th November and then at 7.30pm 2nd December 1982. The second one at 7.30pm is actually the edition that introduced Janice Long as one of the new presenters of Top Of The Pops and I think a new voice on Radio 1. So you can watch her on Mastermind at 7pm and then switch to BBC4 to see her BBC debut on 2nd December 1982.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    John Humphries in charitable mood allowing Ireland instead of Northern Ireland as a 'home nations' answer.
    It would be correct for a Rugby question
    lundavra wrote: »
    So just like every Celebrity Pointless and probably some other charity specials.

I have found the standard in Pointless and Celeb pointless to be the same.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It would be correct for a Rugby question

I have found the standard in Pointless and Celeb pointless to be the same.

I highlighted part of the post that I was replying to, I was commenting on each programme standing on its own with a winner unlike University Challenge where there is one overall winner. Though using the four highest scorer does seem unfair, the ones with highest scores have been up against another team that got a very low score so were able to get almost every starter. The two last night were well matched so neither had chance to get a high score.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I highlighted part of the post that I was replying to, I was commenting on each programme standing on its own with a winner unlike University Challenge where there is one overall winner. Though using the four highest scorer does seem unfair, the ones with highest scores have been up against another team that got a very low score so were able to get almost every starter. The two last night were well matched so neither had chance to get a high score.

But they were well matched because neither was outstanding.

Both would have been massacered by the winning teams on Monday and Tuesday (forgotten who they were now) They would have got less than they actually did, because the chances are they'd have been beaten to the buzzer on some of the questions they got right
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    ytsejam wrote: »
    Just saw a recording of last nights show!!....I am astonished that ANYONE could be as thick as that woman on there (sorry, no idea who she is or why on earth she's "supposed" to be a celebrity). It beggars all belief that someone in this day and age is as stupid as she is and whats worse is that she seemed to think it was funny!..No my dear, it wasn't and you should be totally ashamed and embarassed.

If you mean the black woman I agree 100%. She seemed proud about being so thick. 3 questions right after 2 rounds.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also got all the questions correct on Mark Rhodes's WWE round. Not that they were too hard. John initially said it was WWF.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    I also got all the questions correct on Mark Rhodes's WWE round. Not that they were too hard. John initially said it was WWF.

Both about animals, aren't they? :santahatdude::santahatdude::santahatdude:
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoying this and University Challenge as a bit of fluff over Christmas. Got to wondering - how exactly do the charities benefit? Is it that the BBC gives money to their charity instead of paying them a fee? If so what sort of money roughly would be be talking about? Do all the contestants get a charity donation or just the winner?
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The contestants fees is being donated to charity.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Tonight's contestants are, Outnumbered actor Tyger Drew-Honey, radio presenter Tom Ravenscroft, actress Maria McErlane and writer of the Horrible History books Terry Deary. After the last episode, where I'd never heard of any of them, at least I know who 3 of tonight's contestants are. Terry's the only one I don't know but I've heard of the Horrible Histories books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday

2016/2017 Episode 7 of 10
    John Humphrys tests
    Outnmbered actor Tyger Drew-Honey on The Office,
    Radio 6 Music presenter Tom Ravenscroft on Warp Records,
    actress and presenter Maria McErlane on Unity Mitford and
    Terry Deary, the writer of the Horrible History books, on GK Chesterton's Father Brown Stories.

Monday 19.30

2016/2017 Episode 8 of 10
    In the black chair tonight are the
    Olympic trampoline silver medalist Bryony Page on the Disney Films of the 1990s,
    Radio 6 Music's Nemone on the Books of Roald Dahl,
    writer Emma Kennedy on Lucille Ball, and
    the presenter of The Autistic Gardener, Alan Gardner on the artist Wassily Kandinsky.

Next Saturday

2016/2017 Episode 9 of 10
    John Humphrys tests
    Countryfile reporter Tom Heap on the Godfather Trilogy,
    comedian Jo Caulfield on the history of Edinburgh,
    Olympic taekwondo silver-medalist Lutalo Muhammad on boxer Jack Johnson and
    crime author Stuart MacBride on AA Milne.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    What a bad attitude that boy has. Arms folded and looks like he does not want to be there.

Also a bit thick.