Peston on Sunday

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why on earth have they set it up like a US late-night talk show???

Do we need the logo on-screen permanently? And on the mugs?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Why on earth have they set it up like a US late-night talk show???

Do we need the logo on-screen permanently? And on the mugs?

It is bad so far. He just had to talk about the Labour results in terms of Corbyn. rolleyes
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allegra Stratton is slumming it here. It's like the London Live weather/traffic forecast!!!
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esther McVeys voice simply grates, then again, so does Pestons. I can't see this getting a second series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love to see Peston and William Shatner have a debating competition. The combined bizarro vocal delivery would drive everyone mad.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    It will be the BBC's fault for deliberately scheduling the Andrew Marr show right before this.

It is never the fault of ITV Executives or schedulers that their expensive new shows get poor ratings
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peston interrupts too much. He asks a question, the guest gets out a sentence then Peston chimes in again. This happens time after time.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allegra Stratton is slumming it here. It's like the London Live weather/traffic forecast!!!

Just caught some of this on +1, Allegra in front of a large screen TV with tweets that you can't read ..... very low-rent, very rushed too.

And the set seems like it's a Daybreak/GMTV reject.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving him this show was part of the deal when he joined ITV. It rather does beg the question do we need yet another of these political chat shows on a Sunday morning as he brings nothing new to the party.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Giving him this show was part of the deal when he joined ITV. It rather does beg the question do we need yet another of these political chat shows on a Sunday morning as he brings nothing new to the party.

He was interviewed on the radio about a week ago and said the chat show was the clincher which made him move (not the money?), he was also saying how he is missing appearing on Radio 4 regularly.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It is good to have another political show on TV, but as you say this brings nothing new. Yet again things relating to Labour have to be framed in terms of Corbyn's leadership rather than just about the party as a whole.

As someone else said he doesn't allow people time to answer a question before asking another one.

We really need a political show that is going to hold politicians to account and not just try to get controversial answers for the same of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Allegra reckons that reading out uncomplimentary tweets while the person is sat there constitutes a career highpoint for her?
  • tim123tim123 Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Allegra reckons that reading out uncomplimentary tweets while the person is sat there constitutes a career highpoint for her?

Is she still appearing in her granny's clothes, like she used to do on Newsnight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is good to have another political show on TV, but as you say this brings nothing new. Yet again things relating to Labour have to be framed in terms of Corbyn's leadership rather than just about the party as a whole.

As someone else said he doesn't allow people time to answer a question before asking another one.

We really need a political show that is going to hold politicians to account and not just try to get controversial answers for the same of it.

But Peston hs said in interviews he believes in the polite school of interviewing where you do not confront the person or get aggressive with them:D
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Peston interrupts too much. He asks a question, the guest gets out a sentence then Peston chimes in again. This happens time after time.
    Yes, wasn't it irritating! He managed to completely ruin a promising interview with Louis Thereoux by doing it. I expect the producers will pick up on it and tell him not to do it so much in future editions.

Not impressed by the show, Peston clearly nervous and jumpy thoughout....almost the opposite persona to his BBC one.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim123 wrote: »
    Is she still appearing in her granny's clothes, like she used to do on Newsnight?

That is uncalled for, learn some manners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just doesn't feel like an ITV show. I suspect it will disappear after its first run and Mr Peston will quietly return to the BBC.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only caught the end of it but I quite liked the studio and format.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guests will be less alienated going onto to the show than the other politics sunday shows as they are less laid back.....
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love to see Peston and William Shatner have a debating competition. The combined bizarro vocal delivery would drive everyone mad.

It's TV Jim!- but not as we knoooooow it, Makes Andrrrrrrreeeeeewwwww Marrrrrrr, look brilliant. How about annnnnnoooooottttthhhhhheerr , Financial crrrrrrrrrrrrrisis, to mmmmmaaaaakkkkkkkeeeeee this more...............interesting.
  • Greg_ScottGreg_Scott Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    This just doesn't feel like an ITV show. I suspect it will disappear after its first run and Mr Peston will quietly return to the BBC.

Given how often you are wrong I will go to the bookies to bet on the opposite.
  • Greg_ScottGreg_Scott Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Only caught the end of it but I quite liked the studio and format.

The usual posters would criticise if it was a clone of an other show, so now they critice because it dares to be a bit different. Spin masters lol
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fundamental problem with Peston is he's not a natural broadcaster. He may be a good journalist who gets great stories, but he lacks the basic skills of a broadcaster. Yes, his 'quirky' delivery works for some in small doses on News at Ten, but I suspect it'll become a bit grating for an hour a week, every week.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping this would be more like the short-lived Sunday Edition with Andrew Rawnsley and Andrea Catherwood, which was ITV's last attempt at the genre a decade ago - i.e. pure politics. I didn't get the impression from the pre-launch publicity that it would be a politics/chat show hybrid a la Marr.

That's a matter of personal preference and there were some elements I liked, including Robert Peston's overall demeanour, so I will definitely keep watching. For my money, I would replace the non-political guest with a second politics interview done by Allegra Stratton (whose role was minimal) and lessen the emphasis on social media's real-time reaction to the programme's content - just go on social media if you want that. The main interview could also do with being in one block rather than straddling a break.

One other observation - I was surprised ITV Studios had produced this in-house rather than giving it to ITN.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    He was interviewed on the radio about a week ago and said the chat show was the clincher which made him move (not the money?), he was also saying how he is missing appearing on Radio 4 regularly.

I heard that too. I did enjoyed his interaction with Eddie Mair on PM
    I suspect it will disappear after its first run and Mr Peston will quietly return to the BBC.

Just what I came on this thread to say. Just like Laura Kuenssberg before him, I'm sure he'll discover ITV is not for him and return.

The show is like a poor man's version of Andrew Marr with the added bonus of Richard and Judy's Book Club.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fundamental problem with Peston is he's not a natural broadcaster. He may be a good journalist who gets great stories, but he lacks the basic skills of a broadcaster. Yes, his 'quirky' delivery works for some in small doses on News at Ten, but I suspect it'll become a bit grating for an hour a week, every week.
    His "quirky" delivery is the result of him controlling his stammer. Not his fault and it doesn't affect his journalistic ability.