Options

Philips 32PW9308

My new TV is connected to my Sky+ box with a SCART cable. When I switch between a widescreen and normal 4:3 programme, the picture fails to automatically adjust. My old 28" set did this, but now I have to select either the widescreen or 4:3 option manually. Is this normal, or should it switch on its own?

Is it possible that the SCART cable may not be carrying the signal that tells the TV which aspect ratio to use?

Any help appreciated!

Tony

Comments

• Options
    woody100woody100 Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Is scart control switched to ON in the services menu of the Sky box?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    woody100 wrote:
    Is scart control switched to ON in the services menu of the Sky box?

Yes, Scart control is on.

I took out the scart plugs and reconnected them again, and the TV now switches. BUT...... you set the TV's picture setting to "Auto" and it "...adjusts the aspect ratio to best fill the screen...". This sounds good, but in reality it means that 16:9 programmes look fine but the 4:3 adverts/trailers in between the main show are also in horizontal 16:9 stretch mode! Normal 4:3 programmes are automatically shown in the silly Superwide setting, where it is part stretched and zoomed so that the top and bottom of the screen are cut off.

I've tried changing every menu setting available but I can't get it to change between 16:9 widescreen and basic 4:3. To view in 4:3 means a few button presses to change the view setting, but then widescreen programmes also appear in the un-expanded 4:3 ratio too until I change it back to either Widescreen or Auto!

My last Philips TV - 5 years old widescreen costing £350 - had all the picture settings available on this new set, but it switched quite happily between 16:9 and 4:3 without asking. If this is a feature of the telly I'm amazed and disappointed that such a stupid feature has been included in a £800 TV! I simply can't believe there isn't a setting called "Show the programme in its original format without mucking around with it" :mad:

Tony
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony@home wrote:
    ... simply can't believe there isn't a setting called "Show the programme in its original format without mucking around with it" :mad:

I would find it hard to believe too, especially since my £200 Pacific TV switches properly in 'Auto' mode!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my parents have a philips 28inch widescreen, if i put it into 4:3 when i switch to a widescreen channel it automaticcally goes into widescreen but takes about 2 seconds to do so, if its in 16:9 mode then when i go to a 4:3 channel it is stretched to fill the screen (doesnt change).
  • Options
    FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~You need to turn to a 4:3 channel, ie Sky News.
    ~Set the TV to 4:3
    ~Switch TV off at button
    ~Switch TV on at button

All should now auto-switch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    FusionLad wrote:
    ~You need to turn to a 4:3 channel, ie Sky News.
    ~Set the TV to 4:3
    ~Switch TV off at button
    ~Switch TV on at button

All should now auto-switch.

I did this using both the standby button on the remote and with the main power button on the TV, but when turned on again all channels were shown in 4:3. I tried the above steps in Auto and in Widescreen with the same result. Only Auto changed the picture setting - but between Widescreen and 4:3 as before.

There may be a problem with the TV, but it's new and everything else works fine. I wonder of a better Scart cable would help...?

Tony