Optical or Co-Ax?

At the moment I've hooked up my DVD player to my amp with the co-ax digital connection.

The sound's great, my amp recognises DTS, Dolby 5:1, etc. from the source but...

...both also have the option to connect via optical output/input.

Would this mean an improvement?
Any big differences between the two soundqualitywise?
Is one better than the other?

Comments

• ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member

Would this mean an improvement?
    Any big differences between the two soundqualitywise?
    Is one better than the other?

The differences cancel each other out.
    What matters the most really is the type of cable you use.

I use always use IXOS for my cabling needs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, there is a large difference between the two.

With an optical signal, the digital signal must be converted from electrical to optical at the source, then sent optically along the optical cable, then converted back again from an optical to an electrical signal at the amplifier end. It undergoes conversion twice.

Using co-ax, the signal is simply sent along the cable with no need for the conversion that the optical requires; hence reduced error, jitter, etc. Also, there is more of a length limit using the optical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, co-ax also has conversions.

The co-ax has different impedence to the 'wiring' inside the box. It also goes through lossy electrical connectors.

I reckon it's not such a big differene as you suggest.

And then add in that the co-ax is vunerable to electrical noise, and cross talk from other nearby leads - with optical isn't - my money is on it's not so simple to distinguish a clear winner.

Also, normally optical can cover greater distances than electrical - one of the reasons it's used for netwrok backbones !

Hmmmmm

I'm intrigued now............

Tim.C
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't use an optical connection from my old Meridian 200 CD player to the 208 DAC because every time the central heating turned on, it made a load pop. Didn't do this when changing it to use the coax connection while leaving everything else identical. Never managed to work out what this meant but it's another piece of data.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim.C wrote:
    Actually, co-ax also has conversions.

The co-ax has different impedence to the 'wiring' inside the box. It also goes through lossy electrical connectors.

I reckon it's not such a big differene as you suggest.

And then add in that the co-ax is vunerable to electrical noise, and cross talk from other nearby leads - with optical isn't - my money is on it's not so simple to distinguish a clear winner.

Also, normally optical can cover greater distances than electrical - one of the reasons it's used for netwrok backbones !

Hmmmmm

I'm intrigued now............

Tim.C
    Fair point(s). Must admit that I was only reiterating what I've come across at more hifi focused forums - at Hi-Fi Choice and AV Forums. I get the impression there that coax is the preferred flavour, due mainly to the reduced risk of jitter and error in the signal.
  • bronx2282bronx2282 Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy at my local hi-fi shop (Practical Hi-Fi) told me that optical had the 'edge' over coaxial.

I did have a really good argument about using optical a while ago but I've forgotton it now :(.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a day to day basis, you won't hear any difference...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    agree with Mr Rae...
    you won't hear any difference, so use whichever is most convenient.