Caltonfan wrote: »
    Aisling Bea very nice looking and funny

Very nice:
    click!
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Irish lass is rather fetching, who the hell she is I've no idea.

I do like Jimmy's little mimes and skits while the clock is on.
  • Options
    Diane60Diane60 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Well, I love this programme. Miles Jupp is the brother we would all love to have, seems genuinely nice.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, finally I've found a female comedian who I think isn't wholly terrible. I actually laughed a couple of times. This one appearance alone put Bea about the likes of Millican and Hart.

I love Miles Jupp. I just wish he'd get involved more. He doesn't seem to say anything unless somebody's speaking directly to him.
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Well, finally I've found a female comedian who I think isn't wholly terrible. I actually laughed a couple of times. This one appearance alone put Bea about the likes of Millican and Hart.

I love Miles Jupp. I just wish he'd get involved more. He doesn't seem to say anything unless somebody's speaking directly to him.

I thought Sarah Millican was good when she was countdown 8 out of 10 cats, I prefer her to Aisling who comes across a bit stern
  • Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    This is the second time I had seen Aisling. She did Sweat The Small stuff a couple of months ago (Hate Nick Grimshaw but I think the male team captain is quite funny)

When she was on she basically owned James Arthur so that was one huge bonus and I thought she had a few zingers tonight.

Miles is always funny too. Overall i quite enjoyed tonights episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and for next weeks.

They have Josh Widdicombe of "The Last Leg" and Kathy Burke from "Gimme Gimme Gimme" playing with Jon and Sean.

Joe Wilkinson returns again.

Dara o' Briain in Dictionary corner.

Pretty good line up...especially looking forward to Dara :)
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad I know but I wish they would spend a bit less time on the weekly introduction of the teams, Susie, Rachel etc and the mascots.

It's very samey and I would prefer a couple more actual rounds of Countdown.

As for Joe Wilkinson's contribution . . . :confused:
  • Options
    MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't realise this was on last night and caught it just as it started, glad I did as I thought that was one of the better ones they've done! Next week's guests don't sound as good to me but each to their own. Joe Wilkinson has become a bit stale on it I think, just does the same thing every time. I quite enjoy the introductions though, Miles Jupp having that framed photo of Sean Lock as his mascot was hilarious :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wasn't aware of Aisling Bea before .. scher-wing! :)

I found I fast forwarded a lot of the show last night - the dictionary corner stuff mainly because I don't find that comedian (name escapes me..) remotely amusing.

The Joe Wilkinson stuff is irritating but sometimes - only sometimes - amusing.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    Why do the crowd laugh at the teatime teaser when there is no joke...
    It's usually something rude, often referencing one of the guests. As such it does constitute a joke.
    - the dictionary corner stuff mainly because I don't find that comedian (name escapes me..) remotely amusing.
    Suzie Dent made those bits work for me.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    I got the impression that Rachel didn't have much time for Aisling Bea.
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Well, finally I've found a female comedian who I think isn't wholly terrible.

I've only ever found one that makes me laugh consistently, Nina Conti with her monkey puppet!:)
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    First time I've seen this so didn't know the story behind Susie and the guy so that made me think the song went on for a bit too long.

Liked Miles, especially the photo of Sean given to him by his great grandfather.

Aisling was good fun, as was Sean with his helium balloon which sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

Didn't particularly like Joe.

Might start watching this regularly from now on.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    am i imagining it or does 8 out of 10 cats do count down more often now than it does 8 out of 10 cats?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed watching it last night. Rachel looked lovely, although a bit stiff. I'm a regular watcher of the show from now on.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »

I thought so too, Rachel came off as a bit rude at one point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »

Actually I thought so too. It seemed a bit weird, maybe Rachel Riley is used to being the only woman getting that kind of attention on the show.

Well its Kathy Burke next week so it should be same old Riley back in action.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    am i imagining it or does 8 out of 10 cats do count down more often now than it does 8 out of 10 cats?

It does at the moment because the regular show is off the air.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Why have Joe Wilkinson on? He ruins it for me.
    I agree with this and other comments about Joe Wilkinson. I don't like forced wackiness. It isn't funny and it's trying too hard. Random doesn't automatically equal funny, especially not when it's expected.

It reminds me of Angelos Epithemiou on Shooting Stars. Intentionally trying to be uncool whilst also being random. Far from adding anything, it makes it less funny and would better without these distractions.

That unfashionable mullet guy who sometimes appears on Never Mind the Buzzcocks also seems to be trying to target this niche, but at least he is only an occasional guest rather than a feature of the show.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    Sad I know but I wish they would spend a bit less time on the weekly introduction of the teams, Susie, Rachel etc and the mascots.

It's very samey
    and I would prefer a couple more actual rounds of Countdown.

Noooooo, the bit with Miles and the picture of Sean that had been in his family for generations was hilarious :D

Jon's sponsorship with Naandos was funny too.
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK then perhaps the mascots should stay but I still think the introductions could be sped up a bit.

I must admit I did like the Naando's stuff.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good episode as far as the game goes.

It was played pretty much properly and not as a background to silly antics and humour.

Nick Helm can be good in the correct context. I don't think it works on this show though. Same with Wilkinson.

Aisling Bea has been impressive on the shows i've seen her on. This, Buzzcocks?, 8-10Cats. She is a comedian, a female one at that, who can hold her own and join in with banter.
    I think she'd do well on QI.

Lovely eyes also.

I did wonder at the end if Rachel was a bit miffed or that it was the producer telling her to hurry things up.

I can see her storming into the writers meeting and asking for more and better scripted jokes that she can tell during the show :p
  • Options
    frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was THE best episode yet, just funny from start to finish. They were all laughing throughout, instead of just Sean and Jon laughing at Joe Wilkinson, who has now finally managed to hone his bit into something funny instead of annoying. Nick Helm belted out another song, Aisling was beautifully funny, Jon Richardson's Naando's OCD repetition was pukka instead of grating, Jimmy spoke with his mouth full of freshly-nuked apple pie, etc. etc. It was brilliant. I didn't get any Rachel/Aisling frostiness, but if there was any you can bet it was playing to the galleries, maybe stemming from the "Can I get a vowel" - I saw the objection to that from someone British coming a mile off. The whole thing is scripted from start to finish, just look at the list of programme associates on the credits. They're basically the ones who write all the gags.
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got round to watching this.....Aisling Bea is amusing and stunning!!