King Tut - more ITV crap

Comments

• Horza's DroneHorza's Drone Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    At the end of the programme it was 1914 so Carter would have been 40 then if he found the tomb in 1922. I wouldn't call 40 middle aged!

Of course it's middle aged!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Howard Carter was 48 when he found Tutankhamun, the male model playing him is 30. Also Howard Carter didn't have a relationship with some yank archaeologist.

So ITV have dumbed it down, whoever whudda thunk it?

I'm not sure but I thought the drama was set in 1905 at the beginning? So he would have been younger then, around early 30's.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's awful!! I wasn't expecting much but, god, it's abysmal.

Beats overpaid z listers dancing though.
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Well, we might get to Downton Abbey (which I never watched - too boring) but actually it's set in Egypt, as one would expect.

For the most part, yes, but there are usually scenes in a drama set elsewhere. For one thing - SPOILER ALERT - Lord Carnarvon's body was returned to his home and buried nearby on a hill overlooking Highclere. Unless they scrap that entire element of the story then it's likely they'll be fudging out that particular location on screen. Or they might go and show it anyway regardless of its familiarity.

I don't know. It was just a thought when I caught the trailer last week.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed the start, so don't know if they have featured/will feature Highclere, but I think they'd be mad not to! Part of the attraction, especially for "the American audience". I actually didn't mind this - made me want to look into the whole story again. I tend to be someone who watches things like this then go and frantically look everything up to see what's accurate historically and what isn't - part of what I enjoy about it.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 11,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard Carter was 48 when he found Tutankhamun, the male model playing him is 30. Also Howard Carter didn't have a relationship with some yank archaeologist.

So ITV have dumbed it down, whoever whudda thunk it?

Well in 1905, when the series opens, Carter would have been around 30 so that aspect is about right.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the most part, yes, but there are usually scenes in a drama set elsewhere. For one thing - SPOILER ALERT - Lord Carnarvon's body was returned to his home and buried nearby on a hill overlooking Highclere. Unless they scrap that entire element of the story then it's likely they'll be fudging out that particular location on screen. Or they might go and show it anyway regardless of its familiarity.

I don't know. It was just a thought when I caught the trailer last week.

I wonder if he's spinning in his grave at the thought of Highclere being used for Downton. :D
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he's spinning in his grave at the thought of Highclere being used for Downton. :D

He doesn't strike me as someone who would have especially minded his home being used as a set for a film or TV show (it's been used a few times as a set aside from Downton Abbey). It has its own Egyptian exhibition within the house that's been open to the paying public for years.

My original thought was merely in the context of an ITV show dramatising a true story which in part involves a location familiar around the world for its appearance as the fictional centre piece of another ITV show covering the same time period in the same Sunday evening timeslot.

Just seemed funny to me.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I thought the drama was set in 1905 at the beginning?

Yes, it was 1905 at the start. I must have missed another title card, as the next one said "two years later" and it was the start of WW1. Surely they didn't manage to drop a huge clanger like that?
  • kenny brockellykenny brockelly Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    Well in 1905, when the series opens, Carter would have been around 30 so that aspect is about right.

Fair enough. I didn't watch it tbh.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Sunday evening drama, I don't think it's any worse than Victoria. Ideal for that day and evening. I could do with less "blood and guts" on TV.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wot a load of tut
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    its boring so far. Kevin o'sullivan said it was good. Wished id started watching poldark but bit late now
    And he was right. It is a lot better than that penny-dreadful tosh.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Sunday evening drama, I don't think it's any worse than Victoria. Ideal for that day and evening. I could do with less "blood and guts" on TV.

I'm going to speak up for it as well - it wasn't that bad for Sunday evening fare. No it wasn't particularly 'artistic' but it rambled on well enough and did enough to engage me, Irons' wooden acting aside. Interesting it has got slated here - the Guardian readers underneath the review there don't seem so scathing about it overall.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they gave a warning to expect nudity I didn't expect that kind. :D

Yes, Lord Ashfordly showing his rippling muscles and arse is more than a match for Aidan Turner.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's awful!! I wasn't expecting much but, god, it's abysmal.

I see, so you would prefer some LE programme hosted by Philip Schofield would you? Or perhaps a 2hr TXF instead?
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Awww, I caught it last night on catch-up. I thought the script was pretty dire but the sets were lovely and the production values nice a glossy. Easy watching for Sunday nights and I though Max was quite tasty on the eyes too.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched this last night, and I have to say I enjoyed, nice easy watching, easy on the eye for Autmnal evenings.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't ITV just stop making these crap shows and import some of the lesser known US shows?
  • EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did seem a bit pants, especially since it followed 'Victoria'. I was a bit bemused by Lord Carnarvon when he exclaimed that one of his workers should 'Get out of my d*ck'. :D At least that's how it sounded, very odd.
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Tut - more ITV crap

Love the title of this thread! :D I would have perhaps given it a chance but this time last year I spent so long watching Jekyll and Hyde only for it to end without conclusion and then be axed I can only imagine the same fate awaits this. Why do ITV keep commissioning these supernatural dramas only to axe them right away.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    JazzyJaney wrote: »
    King Tut - more ITV crap

Love the title of this thread! :D I would have perhaps given it a chance but this time last year I spent so long watching Jekyll and Hyde only for it to end without conclusion and then be axed I can only imagine the same fate awaits this. Why do ITV keep commissioning these supernatural dramas only to axe them right away.

........................................ :)
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Don't know why i am watching this. They dig a bit, anything yet? No nothing, ten mins later they dig...anything yet. no nothing !
    I thought this drama might be exciting because of all the misfortune that happened after the dig. But they arent even going to find anything by the look of it.
  • Brian The DogBrian The Dog Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Hooray! They've found a bloody step! Only took two hours and a bit of soppy love interest to get there!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Don't know why i am watching this. They dig a bit, anything yet? No nothing, ten mins later they dig...anything yet. no nothing !
    I thought this drama might be exciting because of all the misfortune that happened after the dig. But they arent even going to find anything by the look of it.

Sounds like Carters war efforts might have been quite exciting.

And a pity we lost Maggie - at least she had some speak.

While Irons is I am sure easy on the eye his moustache is very districting!