Who's your favourite narrator ?

13»

Comments

• Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're talking relatively recent programmes, but of all time and I'm going waaay back, then Johnny Morris, with his array of great voices, I used to believe all creatures could talk!
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,562
    Forum Member
    Yes she does :D She talks quite slowly and exaggerates her words, she sounds a bit dopey!
    Heard her doing a programme link on C4 today, she certainly knows how to stretch out the sentences - is she being paid by the second? ;-)
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    World at War was narrated by Laurence Olivier!

I'm sure he narrated something I watched on the Yesterday channel, I'm off to find out what it was!

ETA:
    This is from wiki - so I was close.

His distinctive voice has become well known in advertisements and documentaries, especially in World War II documentaries including World War II in HD Colour, Hitler's Bodyguard, The Story of the Third Reich and Secrets of World War II.
  • Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Must definitely agree with a great proportion of the names listed in all the posts!!! However,2 names are at the top of my list and both previously mentioned...John Shrapnel and Bernard Hill!! Having lectured in Speech & Drama for over 35 years their vocal techniques are superb!!! I use Bombay Railways Episode 3 towards the end where Hill narrates "Bombay Railways like the city it serves...etc".I get my students to try and copy it....so hard as Hills presentation..his modulation..pitch...rhythm...pacing is immaculate!!!
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »

His distinctive voice has become well known in advertisements and documentaries, especially in World War II documentaries including World War II in HD Colour, Hitler's Bodyguard, The Story of the Third Reich and Secrets of World War II.

This would be Robert Powell I think. Another great voice.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Must definitely agree with a great proportion of the names listed in all the posts!!! However,2 names are at the top of my list and both previously mentioned...John Shrapnel and Bernard Hill!! Having lectured in Speech & Drama for over 35 years their vocal techniques are superb!!! I use Bombay Railways Episode 3 towards the end where Hill narrates "Bombay Railways like the city it serves...etc".I get my students to try and copy it....so hard as Hills presentation..his modulation..pitch...rhythm...pacing is immaculate!!!

So you won't be asking them to emulate Danny Dyer then!
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Andrew Sachs
  • SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of an old one here but I always liked the late Paul Vaughan's voice.

The name may not be familiar but anybody who watched the BBC2 science programme Horizon in the seventies and eighties would instantly recognise it.

He also did, "The future's bright. The future's Orange."
  • secret lovesecret love Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Definitely best ever is David Attenbourgh and one I cannot listen to is female presenter on A Place in the Sun: Home or Away. Dont know her name, may be Jasmine or something.
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy Ralph Ineson who narrates Railroad Alaska on Discovery channel. He is also the voiceover for Dacia cars

He was also in The Office and Dagmer in Game of Thrones

Bernard Hill Bernard Cribbins and David Tennent are also great to narrators
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Pryce is really good too, should do more.

Enn Reitel - prolific v/o artist and narrator.
  • tomalistenertomalistener Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    Hands up for Robert Powell, also Samuel West. And the Scottish woman who narrates Forensic Detectives on ID - Susan Rae. Not heard her on anything else.

Susan Rae does fair bit of news reading on Radio 4, plus news quiz regularly... she is good, used o do the intro for the archers podcasts then was dropped!
    Also used to do some Street Cops I think it was

Can I add in Derek Cooper who as well as doing Food Programme on Radio four used to voice lots of reports for Tomorrows World - fantastic voice

Final mention - Rebekah Stanton - used to think good voice as voice overs and used to appear quite often, but was superb as Della in Raised by Wolves
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Burton, doing War of The Worlds.
    What a voice
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Lee Boardman in Road Wars. I'm also reminded of John Peel doing A Life of Grime. An odd choice when you think about it.

Credit where it's due to Marcus Bentley, too.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Andrew Sachs

Loved his narration on That Peter Kay Thing!
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,562
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Lee Boardman in Road Wars. I'm also reminded of John Peel doing A Life of Grime. An odd choice when you think about it.

Credit where it's due to Marcus Bentley, too.

:o His accent seems to get stronger with each series of BB, now making his narration difficult to bear.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »

Mine is Paul McGann his soft clear tones suits nearly every documentary he's done.

Paul McGann did several editions of ITV's Exposure when it first launched and the bold decision was taken to rely on narration rather in-vision presentation. That seems to have been reversed of late and, while a presenter is sometimes necessary, the power of the disembodied voice shouldn't be underestimated for that kind of documentary. After all, it was a hallmark of World In Action for much of its history - which brings me to the late Granada continuity announcer Jim Pope who was a master of understated gravitas in his narration.

In terms of voice matching style of programme, surely nobody could beat the 'bang to rights' delivery of Christopher Fox on Police Interceptors - why he was replaced is anybody's guess.
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant. Also Tom Fleming he was the guy who did all the Military tatoo's and Royal stuff for the BBC.