Options

Theoretical Doctor Who movie: Theoretical plot ideas.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Inspired by some one's post in the thread about the mooted American Doctor who movie, people on this board must have some good plot ideas if it ever happened.

Pehaps not a big budget Michael Bay summer blockbuster (please god, never let that happen) but a feature length version of the current BBC show, not limited to the current Doctor.

I would love so see the idea that someone else posted of a "time war" movie, featuring Doc 8 and his regeneration into 10.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Would probably need to be something that non fans can pick up easily.

My best idea would be outside of our universe and continuity and don't try to link the two. A young "first doctor" can pick up a companion and then meet the Daleks for the first time and defeat them.

As long as Hugh Grant or Christian Bale don't play him, I'll be fine! A 30-something Hollywood star can play the Doctor, not too action film looking.

The key thing is that it would be Doctor Who in the premise we recognise, but would not compromise the continued success of the TV version.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SixtySeven wrote: »
    Would probably need to be something that non fans can pick up easily.

My best idea would be outside of our universe and continuity and don't try to link the two. A young "first doctor" can pick up a companion and then meet the Daleks for the first time and defeat them.

As long as Hugh Grant or Christian Bale don't play him, I'll be fine! A 30-something Hollywood star can play the Doctor, not too action film looking.

The key thing is that it would be Doctor Who in the premise we recognise, but would not compromise the continued success of the TV version.

Or perhaps the story of the Doctors youth and how he came to "run away" from Gallifrey. He's always claimed he was "bored" but everyone knows the Doctor lies.

I would have a story of the Doctor and the Master as friends and how the Master turned to evil and became the Doctors enemy. We never did get to find out what happened to Susans parents...
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I'd go the route of the original Star rek films; ie. have it directly connected to the series, just with better production values.

Or, in other words, give me Matt and Karen in a big story, with a big budget.

Doctor Who is known enough the world over that you don't need to explain everything to the audience. Just like poeple know what the Enterprise is, who Captain Kirk is and what Klingons are, even if they've never seen Trek, people know what the TARDIS is, who the Doctor is and what the Daleks are, even if they've never seen Who.

So a good story, with good actors and a big budget is all I need. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of crying, lots of running around and a dramatic pause in the music for someone to say:

This ends now.
    It ends here.
    It ends now
    This ends here.
    This is the end that now must be here.
    It ends here now this stops.
    Please stop.

Etc.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    Inspired by some one's post in the thread about the mooted American Doctor who movie, people on this board must have some good plot ideas if it ever happened.

Pehaps not a big budget Michael Bay summer blockbuster (please god, never let that happen) but a feature length version of the current BBC show, not limited to the current Doctor.

I would love so see the idea that someone else posted of a "time war" movie, featuring Doc 8 and his regeneration into 10.

Any other ideas?

Time War, simple as: those included and those excluded - watching rassillon reconfigure the Bow Ships and both Daleks and Time Lords doing everything to win...bearing in mind, the Time Lords started the Time War...well....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I suppose the problem with the Time War is what exactly is a time war, what makes it a tine war rather than just a war, and how can it be portrayed on screen so that it is clearly a time war and casual fans can understand what on earth is going on?
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think they should give BabelColour from the You Tube some money. His trailer for The Time War is spiffing. Check out his other stuff as well. He's a wizard.

But if BabelColour doesn't get the gig - Werner Herzog. His Wild Blue Yonder proves he can do sci-fi pretty bloomin' well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443693/
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or perhaps the story of the Doctors youth and how he came to "run away" from Gallifrey. He's always claimed he was "bored" but everyone knows the Doctor lies.

I would have a story of the Doctor and the Master as friends and how the Master turned to evil and became the Doctors enemy. We never did get to find out what happened to Susans parents...

I like the fact that we know nothing about the Doctor's youth or formative years, it adds a mystery to both the character and the show. I don't think it would be a good idea to go back and try explain things. After all, look what happened when George Lucas tried to give us the back-story to his brilliant original Star Wars trilogy.

However I'd be happy to go with the Time War. It's been referenced so much in the last five years and is the big link between classic Who and the new series - in my opinion it's fair game to go back and do the Time War properly.

It would have to be big and epic - no 90 minute TV budget episode, but a long sweeping narrative. I'd want both Paul McGann and Chris Eccleston in there, and possibly a third doctor, either Tennant or Smith, in the role of a narrator who looks back retrospectively at either end of the film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    However I'd be happy to go with the Time War. It's been referenced so much in the last five years and is the big link between classic Who and the new series - in my opinion it's fair game to go back and do the Time War properly.

It would have to be big and epic - no 90 minute TV budget episode, but a long sweeping narrative. I'd want both Paul McGann and Chris Eccleston in there, and possibly a third doctor, either Tennant or Smith, in the role of a narrator who looks back retrospectively at either end of the film.

I would love to see that, fantastic idea. Let's have Timothy Dalton in there as well.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see that, fantastic idea. Let's have Timothy Dalton in there as well.

And Lalla Ward as President Romana, who is horribly murdered and replaced by Rassillon as he's tired of her incessant tedious bitching about Tom Baker on DVD commentaries.

Oops, sorry-confused fantasy and reality there for a second...:o:D
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I like the idea, as mentioned previously, of a Prequel. The first Doctor and The Master at the academy in the early days, competing with each other even back then. The Master can go to the "dark side", and our Doctor finds romance (with Susan's grandmother), gets into bother and nicks a Type 40 Time Capsule......it could go into all sorts of intriguing plots.
    But then ,on afterthought, maybe it's best left as the mystery that it is!
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely. And maybe one or two quality British actors - perhaps Ian McKellen or Brendan Gleeson - to give it the stamp of quality...