The Doctor: His Lives and Times

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a heads up, I think this book is £20 RRP, and £12 on Amazon.

I just picked up a copy from Asda for £10 :)

Comments

• MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markieb wrote: »
    Any good?

It looks decent enough, but I've only just pulled it out of the bag with the rest of the Friday night shopping :o

It seems to have got 4 and 5* reviews on Amazon (which I avoid buying from if possible, due their tax arrangements).
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    It seems to have got 4 and 5* reviews on Amazon (which I avoid buying from if possible, due their tax arrangements).

Good luck finding a company that doesn't do any tax avoidance.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    Good luck finding a company that doesn't do any tax avoidance.

Maybe if you still have a local bookshop?
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about buying this - let us know what it is like please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I was thinking about buying this - let us know what it is like please.

I will. Just finishing up a novel and then I'll be into the book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, the format seems to be a collage of scripts, exposition, facsimile items/ephemera and so on, for each Dr, and then some first-person accounts of each Doc's run.

It's all very well designed, with some great photos too. I really want to see more of the first Cybermen.

For a fan like me, fractured in and space, or having a nice lie-down, it's quite confusing; eg. the 10th and 11th quotes I've seen on Confidential. Or YouTube.

So if I can spot that stuff, I'm thinking a hardened Whovian will spot all of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I've finished the first-person recollections/musings.

Interesting (for me, especially the early stuff) but the later Drs entries seem rushed. As I said in the previous post, I think most of the quotes from the Moffat era are culled straight from social media.

Overall a bit confusing for a newbie, and probably a bit annoying for a dedicated fan.

And, for the record, Moffat mentions Space Badgers twice in the last dozen or so pages..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    And, for the record, Moffat mentions Space Badgers twice in the last dozen or so pages..

All hail our overlords, The Space Badgers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm thinking about buying either this book or "Doctor Who: Essential Guide to 50 Years" by Justin Richards, can someone recommend which would be a better choice? His Lives and Times has more pages and I quite like the sound of how interactive it is, but the Essential Guide one has a friendlier price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All hail our overlords, The Space Badgers!

Careful now Dr 8th, some of the more po-faced FMs will get very cross if they see any flippant comments in a thread :p

I mean, it's not like this is supposed to be any fun is it?