Options

Got asked for ID today

13»

Comments

• Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrap Challenge 25/30 and why not just ID everyone, regardless of age? Fairest way, everyone knows where they stand and it would be a big money spinner for the Government.

I had to get a passport (some places do not accept provisional driving licences and certainly will never accept PASS accredited ID like the CitizenCard) just to enter competitions as some organisers now ask for photo ID to verify your age and name as people were finding out that someone had won and attempting to claim prizes in the name of the winner fraudulently.

And I think they're enforcing the valid date of photo ID not just merely because the photo is too old, but because the Government is not making enough money from sucke... I mean, the public. Yep, I am a cynic.

Yes lets get ID cards by the back door, dont worry when you forget it it and your in a police cell because you cannot prove who you are. At least the supermarkets won't be fined for selling Alcohol to a minor.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 24 and hardly ever get asked, unless I've just had a haircut and a shave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35, in Tesco. I laughed. :D
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Yes lets get ID cards by the back door, dont worry when you forget it it and your in a police cell because you cannot prove who you are. At least the supermarkets won't be fined for selling Alcohol to a minor.
    The Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 requires all new employment starters to be asked for ID, we're already in a ID card state in all but name. I was asked for photo ID for my work, I didn't have any at the time, caused a nightmare for my employer though we did sort it out.

Pretty sure the employee faces a massive fine and loss of their job if they sell to a minor, plus the retailer faces losing their licence.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    28. :) Actually it was my friend (who's the same age) who was buying red wine. Maybe it's because he was buying Haribos at the same time. :D The cashier, who looked far too young to be selling alcohol asked him for ID, which he didn't have, so I said I'll buy it. Then I was asked for ID and showed him my driving license. The cashier didn't know what to make of it so they called over another member of staff in her mid-40s, who said she hadn't seen a driving license like that! It's one of the old paper ones, not the new plastic card types she was expecting. I said, "Well they didn't have those plastic cards when I got my license." :p ...What kind of underage drinker drinks red wine anyway?! :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of places won't accept CitizenCard, with the exception of many retailers, even though it is a Government (Home Office) backed ID card!!! Madness. I think there has to be something involving the amount of money invested in that form of ID which makes it more valid in the eyes of companies - why would some places refuse provisional driving licences when the same ID suddenly becomes acceptable the second you invest in driving lessons and pass your theory and practical driving test!?
    Try getting a Blockbuster membership! Unless you can produce a recent landline phone bill they're not interested. I went back with my passport, driving license, utility bill and mobile phone and they turned me down! They said it's because they might need to phone me at my address and didn't believe the phone number I gave them was real. I said, "Phone it now and you'll hear it ringing!" They refused, and said it was company policy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 29 and I last got ID'd for a lottery ticket in Morrisons. She apologised and said she could see I was over 16 but they had a think 25 policy in the store. Couldnt understand why she asked when she said she knew I was over 16?! :confused:

Because of the think 25 policy. They have to do it its their job
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I was in Iceland buying some beer today and I got asked for ID, I am 29 and was well chuffed! I have not been asked in ages. What is the oldest age any of you guys have been asked at?

I'll probably get asked when I am 60.
  • Options
    carriebebecarriebebe Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    35 was id in morrisons last december buying beer for my dad didnt have any with me but the cashier served me anyway cos she said she wasnt sure whether to id me or not lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I'll probably get asked when I am 60.
    You're Benjamin Button and I claim my five pounds! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Iceland buying some beer today and I got asked for ID, I am 29 and was well chuffed! I have not been asked in ages. What is the oldest age any of you guys have been asked at?

24 - last week in Tesco, the woman next to the woman who ID'd me commented on how she wished she still got ID'd haha. I'm waiting, I know it won't be long now until I stop getting asked :(
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got asked in Tesco a couple of years ago when I was nearly 40, I was only buying a load of wine because I had a voucher so I just left all of it on the conveyor belt and walked out of the shop. Not sure if I'd have done the same had it been the weekly shop!
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    47 - never been ID'd in my life (did one manage to get into an 'over 25s only' show when I was only 24 (went in a group and just blended in with the others I was with). Nothing dodgy about the show I hasten to add - just think the organisers didn't want youngsters trashing the place!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Frankly I think the rules regarding ID are ridiculous, yet I can't really think of a suitable alternative. Because of a medical condition I have I'm not allowed to get a drivers license, and after losing my passport once already I refuse to take it out with me all day every day given how much it costs to replace. But there are several places that literally only accept these two kinds of ID, although I'm talking pubs and clubs. Supermarkets are great and pretty much never ID me.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I was asked for id for the first time in ages the other day and I'm 31.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    You're Benjamin Button and I claim my five pounds! :D

The cheque is in the post. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Im 27 and as long as I stick to the same newsagents, im fine :p

I Bloody hate it when I take my kids out with me and get id'd... I feel offended that they think I had them when I was 13 :mad:
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Havent been asked for ID since I was 22 (Im now 25) I feel left out :( lol

I guess I look older than my years, I have lines on my forehead already and in general look about 30ish..... so I've been told.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrap Challenge 25/30 and why not just ID everyone, regardless of age? Fairest way, everyone knows where they stand and it would be a big money spinner for the Government.

I had to get a passport (some places do not accept provisional driving licences and certainly will never accept PASS accredited ID like the CitizenCard) just to enter competitions as some organisers now ask for photo ID to verify your age and name as people were finding out that someone had won and attempting to claim prizes in the name of the winner fraudulently.

And I think they're enforcing the valid date of photo ID not just merely because the photo is too old, but because the Government is not making enough money from sucke... I mean, the public. Yep, I am a cynic.
    If you're so cynical about the government and ID, why would you want these intrusive schemes to be rolled out to everyone? I think the fewer people that need ID'ing, the better.

I wish the authorities would realise the world won't fall apart if some under-age lout is able to buy alcohol - which they still seem able to find anyway. Still, in this age of somebody needing to be liable, I expect the corner shop or supermarket would be sued up the yazoo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Bliss and kudos - I've never been asked - and I'm desperately trying to imagine almost any scenario that doesn't involve me being ancient beyond belief :D